Cosmo

I’m reviving this ol’ thread ‘cuz Tape Op has a nice interview of the audio engineer who recorded most of their material.

3FFAFEFF-68CB-4C76-B94D-2900614DBBE8.jpeg

We saw CC Revisited years ago, and Doug played really well. We had backstage passes and visited with him afterward for a while. He was extremely friendly and down to earth. No attitude, no rock start BS. He told us he was an amateur etymologist, a guy who studies bugs! He also expressed his anger at John Fogerty and the way he and Stu were snubbed at the RRNRHOF ceremony. I couldn't blame him a bit for feeling that way.

Doug was certainly one of my influences. Not by choice. However I am a fan of CCR. My Father listened to Creedence a lot. Still does to this day at 70 years old. I recently read that John finally got the rights to the music after all these years of battling.

I recently read that John finally got the rights to the music after all these years of battling.
Yeah, like many others, they signed a bad contract at the beginning.

One of the first that I knew of using 2 16” crashes as hi hats. And they weren’t the sloshy crap your hearing now, they were crisp and articulate, thought out in other words.
Old thread, I know, but they were 18" hats. Paiste 602s. His other cymbals were 22" medium 602 ride, 18" medium 602 crash. Doug was a HUGE influence on my playing. The epitome of "playing for the song."

Old thread, I know, but they were 18" hats. Paiste 602s. His other cymbals were 22" medium 602 ride, 18" medium 602 crash. Doug was a HUGE influence on my playing. The epitome of "playing for the song."
Oh yeah he is definitely one of my favorites.
Thanks for his pie layout 👍🏽

Didn’t know he had 18s for hats, I wonder where he got the idea. Were contemporaries doing the same with large hats?

As a teen, I Saw Creedence Clearwater Revisited with Cos and Stu, at the Civic Center in Amarillo around ‘99, which I will cherish to end.

Edit* I’ll leave this here as well, love this song.

Didn’t know he had 18s for hats, I wonder where he got the idea. Were contemporaries doing the same with large hats?
He's said smaller hats didn't cut through the amps back then. He had to rig up his hi-hat stand with a stronger spring mechanism to be able to handle the 18s.

As a teen, I Saw Creedence Clearwater Revisited with Cos and Stu, at the Civic Center in Amarillo around ‘99, which I will cherish to end.

Edit* I’ll leave this here as well, love this song.
He got the idea from John Fogerty, who wanted to hear more hi hat live and suggested bigger and bigger hats till they got to the 18s.

CCR Pendulum was the first album I ever bought - 1971 with my own money. Love Doug's playing on "Born to Move". He and Stu Cook made the outro to that song. Super tasteful.
Green River was the first album I bought for myself… $2.99 at University Records on Reseda Blvd. in Reseda, CA. I can’t remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, but I’ll never forget buying that record.

I always underestimated Doug Clifford because he’s one of those guys like Ringo that always plays the perfect part for the song, but without any of the flash. Then I saw some videos and a recent documentary on CCR, and revised my opinion. He was great! And a really hard hitter, too!

Back