CoronaVirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since a vaccine will be next year I've been looking at other antiviral agents. Lots of herbal medicines have been tested for antiviral effects and some appear effective on the coronavirus family.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 9.52.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 9.52.01 AM.png
    294.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 9.53.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 9.53.47 AM.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 11
Lots of herbal medicines have been tested for antiviral effects and some appear effective on the coronavirus family.
Wouldn't that be a wonderful discovery! That these viruses can be successfully subdued with natural herbs.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful discovery! That these viruses can be successfully subdued with natural herbs.
If you think about it historically most drugs were derived from natural sources then synthetic molecular pharmacology and designer drugs to match receptors, enzymes, etc.
The first protein made by coronavirus is a RNA dependent RNA polymerase and these enzymes are highly conserved in all RNA viruses. I wonder if inhibitors, like used in AIDS treatment, could be used to preventi spread since it prevents the virus from replicating?

"Now, can someone please tell me why this flu virus has people and media outlets spreading fear? My first hunch was US stock market manipulation by foreign nationals."

"In all seriousness the whole thing is something I'm monitoring daily, news wise."

Two posts right next to each other that pose, then answer the real question. Fear and paranoia all in the name of clicks! Im not saying we shouldn't be vigilant and take precautions. But the real story is being subdued to sell more advertisements.

Fear and paranoia all in the name of clicks! Im not saying we shouldn't be vigilant and take precautions. But the real story is being subdued to sell more advertisements.
You think it's clickbait? I suspect something far more nefarious.

Ah the old fear tactic. I know the trick well and am amazed how many people willingly embrace the fear instead of seeing it for what it is, a tool for manipulation.

My time is up when it's up, it's not up to me. If I'm using my time here to worry about disease and fear, I'm already dead IMO.

It's a medical fact that you can't be in fear/protection...and growth...at the same time. It's one or the other. Mutually exclusive. Hence the constant diet of fear. Understand this.

I flat out laugh at stuff they want me to worry about. I see right through it.

I'm not falling for it and neither should anyone else. Your time is up when it's up. Enjoy your time here, don't fear it. Starve the fear and it dies.

I'm completely through with fear and worry. I completely trust the universe...whatever happens...even if it's not "good" for me..

Last edited:
Ah the old fear tactic. I know the trick well and am amazed how many people fully embrace the fear instead of seeing it for what it is, a tool for manipulation.

My time is up when it's up, it's not up to me. If I'm using my time here to worry about disease and fear, I'm already dead IMO.

I'm not falling for it and neither should anyone else. Your time is up when it's up. Enjoy your time here, don't fear it. Starve the fear and it dies.

I'm completely through with fear and worry. I completely trust the universe...whatever happens...even if it's not "good" for me..

I think one of the qualities within the human condition is variation of cognition.

There will always be those who take your approach and those who may take a more "fear-like" approach.

They both have important qualities. Too much of one can be not conducive for a preferred outcome.

In the medical profession, we cannot afford to take this too lightly. Ultimately....most medical professional types are working around the clock doing the worrying for you.

But Larryace, people like you can create an environment that calms the community......very important in times like this.

It's a medical fact that you can't be in fear/protection...and growth...at the same time. It's one or the other. Mutually exclusive. Hence the constant diet of fear. Understand this.
Nice. Thank you.

If you do find masks or Sanitizer, the price will be gouged. The news this morning asked that the few masks be left for the health workers an soap and water will do as good a job as sanitizer. Also rubbing alcohol will do a good job as well.

The media is overhyping the risk, the government is downplaying the risk. The real situation lies somewhere in between. It would be foolish to ignore the situation just because you think it's being overblown, but being afraid doesn't help. Listen to what's going on and take whatever precautions you think are reasonable. If you feel sick, have respect for your fellow human beings and get yourself checked out before you go sneezing on everyone.

I'm safe. I never drink Corona. Homebrew, JB, or scotch for me, thanks. ;)

There is what "scientist" say, what "governments" say, what "politicians" say so lots of smoke and mirrors sadly. I'll speak about it generically politically casting no dispersions on either major party in US. In US especially bad because it's a presidential election year. Interesting we've got lots of health and medical issues in US but because it's a presidential election year we see a crazy response of spending 8 billion dollars on Cornavirus -though scientist and medical profession espouse more people will likely die from flu in US. (actually the death rate is about like flu in most nations but China) NIH's budget to address viruses and all our health concerns (cancer, diabetes, obesity, Alzheimers, etc, etc, etc.) is 41 billion dollars so Congress is willing to throw what amounts to 20% of NIH's whole budget at one response and virus. Why? because of exploiting the issue (fear mongering) and making it a political one in an election year so everyone thinks making a big show of spending will magically address it. The naive "believe" that just throwing money at a problem will magically get it done (but if so why not address flu with more funds since it appears a possible equal or greater threat?). That isn't how science works ,though it surely needs funding, it's a process that takes time-and no scientist can even predict when the magic breakthrough might happen (if ever). It isn't promises that politicians can make or claim-like claims to cure cancer or Alzheimer's I've heard from one candidate. That's just absurd. NIH's budget has been flat since 2003-so odd suddenly wanting to give exorbitant amounts of money on one issue!!!!!! My bullcrap alarm is going off too Larry and seems going to be an exploitation fest. Altruism only goes so far till there is a threat then it's each man/women on there own, how can I profit from this?, and watch things get nasty in a hurry. Crazy no thanks we all filled up with Crazy.

So why is it so different?

Fear mongering is all it is.
Yep!!!!!! I "reckon" so too. More people die in auto accidents every year than flu-no one should ever drive an auto again. You'll DIE!!!!!!!!

Well I guess for starters it has almost 4x the death rate of the normal flu and an incubation period of up to 14-days.
Incubation period now tracked as 14 - 24 days. That means that most statistic information is circa 2-3 weeks behind the actual carrier rate.

I'm a fairly pragmatic guy, & certainly not prone to panic or influenced by hype. Aside from the fact our hard won spring / summer gig schedule is now likely trashed, I do have concerns for my own wellbeing. I have a health profile that puts me in a category likely to not do well (understatement) if infected.

I have just cancelled an overseas event for next week (the Netherlands), and probably another one in Vancouver in 6 weeks time.

I am fully prepared for self isolation, as that's my best defence against this virus.

I have good friends in North East Italy who I'm in daily communication with. They're in the middle of a really shitty situation over this. In a very small area, the first case was diagnosed February 22nd, Within 12 days, despite strong containment measures (total lockdown), they had 2,500 confirmed cases and 71 deaths (a much higher mortality rate than exampled elsewhere). Most disturbing, younger people with no pre existing conditions have died, although the majority are elderly or otherwise compromised.

I don't think this is a situation to get all wound up about, but nor do I think it's right to pass this off as a comparison to influenza. It is a significant threat, and one all of us should seek to mitigate as far as is reasonably practical. Virus' have a habit of evolving - it's early days. It's too early for any of us to form a well informed opinion.

Incubation period now tracked as 14 - 24 days. That means that most statistic information is circa 2-3 weeks behind the actual carrier rate.

I'm a fairly pragmatic guy, & certainly not prone to panic or influenced by hype. Aside from the fact our hard won spring / summer gig schedule is now likely trashed, I do have concerns for my own wellbeing. I have a health profile that puts me in a category likely to not do well (understatement) if infected.

I have just cancelled an overseas event for next week (the Netherlands), and probably another one in Vancouver in 6 weeks time.

I am fully prepared for self isolation, as that's my best defence against this virus.

I have good friends in North East Italy who I'm in daily communication with. They're in the middle of a really shitty situation over this. In a very small area, the first case was diagnosed February 22nd, Within 12 days, despite strong containment measures (total lockdown), they had 2,500 confirmed cases and 71 deaths (a higher mortality rate than exampled elsewhere). Most disturbing, younger people with no pre existing conditions have died, although the majority are elderly or otherwise compromised.

I don't think this is a situation to get all wound up about, but nor do I think it's right to pass this off as a comparison to influenza. It is a significant threat, and one all of us should seek to mitigate as far as is reasonably practical.

Thanks for a reasonable perspective, Andy. I joke a lot, mostly because I see the absurdity of both extremes in our current climate, but what you say here is right on the mark, I believe. Don't write this off as nothing but a political ploy, and don't be foolhardy, either.

Ah the old fear tactic. I know the trick well and am amazed how many people willingly embrace the fear instead of seeing it for what it is, a tool for manipulation.

10s of thousands die of the flu every year, but you never hear about it. Tough to instill fear and blame anyone for the flu, but the beer virus, now that changes everything and if powers at be weren't powers at be, none of this would have happened. I'm so tired of this theme already. I was actually trying to plan a vacation that got sold out. I was really hoping people would cancel, so I can take their place for cheap. It seems people aren't buying it, because literally nothing has become available. Good for them. Now, time to turn off our TVs and hit the drums.

I don't know the situation overseas at all, but here......the only things that have completely sold out in the supermarkets is toilet paper.

There has been frantic panic shopping for toilet paper.

Plenty of tinned food, dried goods, water, paper towels, chocolates etc etc but absolutely NO toilet paper.

You should take precautions Andy. I worry about stress which can suppress ones immunity so I like to paint a "rosy picture" for the general public. Science is really good at hind sight but sucks at future predictions. But all scientist know , just like one day one of the super volcanoes around the planet will blow , a viral pandemic that could kill millions is inevitable. Any virus can mutate while a pandemic is occurring so can gain more virulence and more difficult to fight. So a measured response is most reasonable. Life is thorny but in the last 4 billion years it's never been extinguished, humans the last 400,000 years suffered numerous natural disasters and calamities (and apparently some founder events where most of us got annihilated almost to extinction) but we are still here. So I'm optimistic.
Ben you need the toilet paper when the "F"it hits the "Sh"an.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back