CoronaVirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
There is a ton of info flying about having to do with the Coronavirus and the wearing of masks. Please be careful. An improper, or improperly work mask, will give you a false sense of security, and could make things worse. Keep your hands clean, by washing well and frequently. And beware of spam emails trying to sell inadequate or poor fitting masks. Stay well.

I worry about this a bit. I have problems with my immune system (one of the reasons I was so interested in my cymbal cleaning thread). For me, I sanitize EVERYWHERE. At the gas station, ATM machine, grocery store carts/baskets. I haven't eaten out at all. I bought some masks, haven't worn them yet. Luckily, I've not suffered sickness for a little while.

Unless you are sick or a medical professional I wouldn't worry with a mask at this point-hand washing for sure. The N95 or surgical mask do slow the spread of disease, but not by being small enough pore size to block a virus but by stopping the airborne droplets which carry viruses The N95 filters larger than 300 nanometers particles and a surgical mask above 5000 nm. Now most viruses run 20-100 nm (there are megaviruses that are larger) so it can block bacterial and some airborne droplets but not an actual virus. Studies show little difference between efficacy of the fancy respirators to a surgical mask. Airborne droplets range from a cough or sneeze range in size from 1000 nm to 1,000,000 nm-smaller (10,000-100,000 nm) travel farther and remain airborne longer. Coronavirus is about 125 nm in diameter. Anyways you could use tight knit layers of fabric, a layer of meshed cotton, or air conditioning paper filters that range 3000 nm, and make effective mask push come to shove. It's about impossible to filter viruses in water which produced the discovery that about all In Vitro maintained cell lines were infected with various viruses-so it's taken some time to produce virus free cell lines. Viruses are an inescapable part of the biome. We are covered and infiltrated internally with viruses and each human has a unique virome-varies time of year and from past exposures."Viruses are, in fact, much more than regular parasites. They are by far the most dynamic and abundant entity and the greatest killers on the planet, as well as the most effective geo-transforming genetic engineers and resource recyclers, acting on all life strata in any habitat". In people with no illness or health concerns half of those tested have viruses in blood, cerebrospinal fluid, even in breast milk. Certain viruses are also integrated into the human genome as proviruses or endogenous viral elements-and certain viruses associate with cancers. So beside pathogenic viruses we are saturated with viruses we know little about it. Generally viruses outnumber bacteria 10:1 and we have more bacteria in our gut alone than all cells of our body-so viruses outnumber both bacteria and our own cells. An alien would think like the Matrix but humans are just feeders for bacteria and viruses LOL. Unless your aged and have complicating health factors your risks of death from the virus is low.

I bought an N99 mask for my woodworking and did a Youtube video on how to properly fit the mask. Saw too many "professional" woodworkers wearing masks upside down etc, and just had to laugh. If you decide to wear a mask, check ou a Youtube video, doesn't have to be mine, on the proper fitting. Until then wash wash wash your hands.

Ok.

I work in intensive care as a registered nurse.

The first death from the Coronavirus in Australia was here, in the city of Perth.

I will say this......... majority of viruses are transmitted via droplet.

So someone who is actively coughing can wear a mask and so to their carer.

As Grippa said, droplets are large and don't become mist in the air. Most medical grade masks will block 99% of the contagion.

The issue with this damn virus is it's acquired by droplet, airborne AND contact.

The protective equipment we will be wearing in the hospital IF it hits us is fully sealed suits with an oxygen supply.

Now......I will say this to all of you.

Cease international travel.

At some point you may need to reconsider playing gigs in small spaces with large crowds.

Also reconsider attending concerts that are indoors.

Alcohol hand sanitizer is a big help......get some.

If you are feeling feverish......you may need to cancel any planned rehearsal dates or even upcoming shows.

I can offer members on the forum the opportunity to PM me with any questions they may have.

As a health care worker on the front line.....I get frequent, up to date information about the Coronavirus status.

Be careful about discussing this situation on this forum.

They've sequenced the COVID-19 genome. It's an RNA virus consisting of a genome of 29,881 nucleotides in length. It's closely related to a Bat SARS coronavirus-but distinctively different to be a new a new human-infecting betacoronavirus. Phylogenetic analysis suggests that bats might be the original host of this virus, but likely an animal sold at the seafood market in Wuhan might represent an intermediate host facilitating the emergence of the virus in human. The Wuhan seafood wholesale market is where poultry, snake, bats, and other farm animals are sold-so they aren't sure what the host is at market. They now think it's a recombinant virus from the Bat SARS and some other coronavirus in an unknown host that is producing this strain that jumped to humans. The other host is what they really need to know In figuring how to address this virus like the civet link to SARS and camel link to MERS. Most of the coronaviruses aren't deadly but these rarer forms can be-especially to those already at health risk and then in areas with poverty, poor health and poor medical care. That's what WHO is worried about poor areas of Africa, Asia, and Latin America with poor medical and health care could have most deaths. Probably by the time a vaccine is tested and available most of the world will have already transmitted the virus (since a large number have no symptoms and others mild) and developed natural immunity-least that's my prediction. It probably is already in every State of US just undetected as yet with flu season in full bloom (those vaccinated will probably have a milder case of flu and may not visit physician to test for flu-so no one would not what virus they have)-course this is my conjecture. One publication from China found an old malaria drug (Chloroquine phosphate) effective in treating the COVID-19 pneumonia. So I suggest Gin and Tonic (quinine water) and everyone relax. Stress can compromise your immune system making you more prone to any serious illness. Let's go play drums! But all of you in medical profession or just work at a health care facility taking precautions would be prudent since you guys and gals are on the front lines-thoughts and prayers to those in the ditches dealing with a growing crisis.

Last edited:
Of all the information I've received on the net about the virus, trust Drummerworld to contain the wisest! This is why the off topic section shouldn't only be reated to music. Drummers have the most level-headed takes on everything!

BentheDrummer and GetAgrippa, we all appreciate your posts and and wise advice. What I can tell you is.....you know only what you know. There's a lot more to it unfortunately.

I was due to be in Berlin on a company conference the week after next (where 200+ people from all over the world were due to fly in and attend) and it's been confirmed as only a 10% chance of going ahead now.

Gutted as I wanted to fit in another visit to the beer stock exchange bar!!. Love that place.

As long as the rest of the English football season isn't cancelled I'm hoping to ride this one out.

In all seriousness the whole thing is something I'm monitoring daily, news wise. A jump in cases over here in the U.K. just today. We're now above 80 comfirmed cases. Can see that multiplying even more soon.

Last edited:
Of all the information I've received on the net about the virus, trust Drummerworld to contain the wisest! This is why the off topic section shouldn't only be reated to music. Drummers have the most level-headed takes on everything!
Indeed. Thanks GetaGrippa & Ben!

Now, can someone please tell me why this flu virus has people and media outlets spreading fear? My first hunch was US stock market manipulation by foreign nationals.

As a contract software engineer, I've chosen to quarantine myself until this is all over. Question: Do I need to quarantine the dog as well? I only go outside to walk him, but I can fix up a place inside if needed. Oh and I'll need to make a trip to the grocery store in a month or so to get more food.

...why would it have to be foreign nationals? ;)

Indeed. Thanks GetaGrippa & Ben!

Now, can someone please tell me why this flu virus has people and media outlets spreading fear? My first hunch was US stock market manipulation by foreign nationals.

I read today that 70% of the world population could be affected???

There’s not a bottle of hand sanitizer or pack of hand sanitizer wipes to be found in any Long island NY drug store ?. People have lost their minds !!!! The only reason I wanted a small bottle was because I’m flying to Florida and I always bring one when I fly . Welp guess I’ll just have to wear one of these ........ ??

2DB436AA-3877-4A09-83AB-72228D1CDF94.jpegF2C2F73E-4D59-4204-AC3B-F8F064B64C9A.jpeg

Ok ! I’m ready for take off captain !!!!

I kid . But seriously , just common sense and proper hygiene is about all we have with this, so live your life and wash up

Attachments

• C9DDB873-C0CB-4667-88B6-0A0D539BA761.jpeg
    C9DDB873-C0CB-4667-88B6-0A0D539BA761.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 78F1E383-FC6A-4149-B4AD-0849F568D586.jpg
    78F1E383-FC6A-4149-B4AD-0849F568D586.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
How the hell do you think I feel!!!

I actually work in a hospital, in ICU of all places......the worst of the worst place to be!

So ultimately.....the chances of me acquiring it are extremely high as we still need to procure the appropriate protective gear for this particular virus.

??????

However.........I will leave all my drum equipment to MrInsanePolack

All my bills and debts to Larryace

My Ford Fiesta I leave to GetaGrippa

My useless TV with a great big line down the middle is left for all the moderators.

These are my wishes......please respect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back