Copper Hoops

fess

I'm looking a a Ludwig Raw Copperphonic that has polished copper hoops.It's kind of strange looking. Just wonder how copper hoops hold up both structurally and aesthetically.

Strengthwise I wouldn’t be concerned as Copper must be stronger that a wood hoop.
Some patina might develop. Polish the parts if you don’t like it.

Copper is VERY soft. As a trumpet player, I've had a couple of instruments with pure copper bells, and my repair tech has always said that depending on the dent - how deep it is, where it's located, etc, that sometimes it's actually better to leave the dent alone. The copper is so soft that it makes dent work a real pain, unlike regular brass, or rose brass, which has enough zinc to allow the metal to be worked a bit more easily.

Link?

I've never seen one that didn't have either 2.3 triple flange steel or die cast hoops. Didn't know they came any other way.

This is how this one came not sure if Ludwig did it or not.

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 114
Here's the drum. Not sure if it's ugly or beautiful

Attachments

• LUDWIG_copper.jpg
    LUDWIG_copper.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 119
It could be copper plated. Does it say anywhere specifically that those hoops are solid copper?

Now there's an idea of how copper hoops could work. Copper plated steel hoops. That would give the appearance of copper, and the strength of steel. I had some steel drawer handles copper plated, and they told me to spray polyurethane on them to keep them looking nice. The pictures of the drum look chrome to me though.

It could be copper plated. Does it say anywhere specifically that those hoops are solid copper?

Here's the ad.
Ludwig Raw Copperphonic 6.5x14 Snare Drum w/ Copper Hardware
Features

1.2mm Seamless Copper Shell
Die-Cast
Ludwig Weather Master Medium Coated Head
Ludwig Weather Master Clear Snare Side Head
10 lugs

I'm looking a a Ludwig Raw Copperphonic that has polished copper hoops.It's kind of strange looking. Just wonder how copper hoops hold up both structurally and aesthetically.

Yes, as an answer to 2+ year old post, they hold up.....

I have a Copperphonic with the Ludwig plated die cast, and I have a 402 with aftermarket plated Ludwig triple flange. Both hold up beautifully to normal practice and gigging use.

Attachments

• 139082703_1102564836855060_2683417563467194053_n.jpg
    139082703_1102564836855060_2683417563467194053_n.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 10
  • copper 402.jpg
    copper 402.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 11
Yes, as an answer to 2+ year old post, they hold up.....

I have a Copperphonic with the Ludwig plated die cast, and I have a 402 with aftermarket plated Ludwig triple flange. Both hold up beautifully to normal practice and gigging use.

Is that not copper-plated steel?

Back