Copper Hoops

fess

I'm looking a a Ludwig Raw Copperphonic that has polished copper hoops.It's kind of strange looking. Just wonder how copper hoops hold up both structurally and aesthetically.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Strengthwise I wouldn’t be concerned as Copper must be stronger that a wood hoop.
Some patina might develop. Polish the parts if you don’t like it.

Skrivarna

Are these really massive copper? I'd think pure copper would be too soft to work as a hoop, but what do I know... 8 or 10 lugs?

trickg

Silver Member
Copper is VERY soft. As a trumpet player, I've had a couple of instruments with pure copper bells, and my repair tech has always said that depending on the dent - how deep it is, where it's located, etc, that sometimes it's actually better to leave the dent alone. The copper is so soft that it makes dent work a real pain, unlike regular brass, or rose brass, which has enough zinc to allow the metal to be worked a bit more easily.

lefty2

Platinum Member
It could be copper plated. Does it say anywhere specifically that those hoops are solid copper?
Now there's an idea of how copper hoops could work. Copper plated steel hoops. That would give the appearance of copper, and the strength of steel. I had some steel drawer handles copper plated, and they told me to spray polyurethane on them to keep them looking nice. The pictures of the drum look chrome to me though.

fess

It could be copper plated. Does it say anywhere specifically that those hoops are solid copper?
Here's the ad.
Ludwig Raw Copperphonic 6.5x14 Snare Drum w/ Copper Hardware
Features

1.2mm Seamless Copper Shell
Die-Cast
Ludwig Weather Master Medium Coated Head
Ludwig Weather Master Clear Snare Side Head
10 lugs