Copped a Canopus NV60 Bop Kit.

jazzerooty

Took delivery last week of a new champagne wrapped Canopus NV60 bop kit, and I've never been happier with a set of drums.
I'm an old bop drummer who's been with Gretsch since '75. I'm not like some of you--I've only owned one
kit at a time, and had had only two Gretsch kits in the last 40 years. But a fishing pal who passed away last
year left me some scheckles. I'd read about the NV60s, and how they were an improvement on the old round
badge drums, which I took to be hype, until I spoke with Bill Evans' alumni Eliot Zigmund. I told him about my
experience and he suggested I apply for an endorsement, which I did get. That cut the price down to sanity, and
I'm so glad I've made the move. These drums...the build quality is perfect. No quality control issues whatsoever.
The snare drum is "gretschy," but with no choking and a wider span of tuning where it still sounds great. It's got
a little 20 strand snare on it, but you can Art Blakey press roll to your hearts content. The toms are perfect, and the
bass drum, no mufling, is evocative of Elvin Jones with Coltrane; it will accept any tuning and sound great. I've heard from
vintage drum people that the wood these days is worthless, and it's why vintage drums are superior, etc. Baloney.
Everyone has his or her opinion on what are the best drums. I do, too. As far as I'm concerned, these are the best drums on the planet.

Attachments

• IMG_3442.jpg
    IMG_3442.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
Took delivery last week of a new champagne wrapped Canopus NV60 bop kit... As far as I'm concerned, these are the best drums on the planet.
@jazzerooty In my realm of squalor, the rule is: Photos or it never happened.

Outside of that, I join you in your glee. A drum kit that lifts your soul is priceless beyond measure.

RickP

Gold Member
It is a great feeling when you get a drum set that just sings to you . Canopus makes great drums with a very high degree of build quality . My local ship is a Canopus dealer and he has sold quite a few Yaiba II bop kits . The Japanese are stereotypically perfectionists when it comes to quality . Canopus are no exception . Enjoy the new drums .