Cool video about "Trout Mask Replica".

Ima check this out after work, I dig his stuff. He was a loon huh? From what I read, Drumbo compared him to Manson but more powerful....yikes! Eat your beans and get back to work or Ill stab ya....sounds like an amazing work atmosphere.

This is my Music Theory teacher [Samuel Andreyev] interviewing Bill Harkleroad [Zoot Horn Rollo], my guitar teacher.

Bill did meet Charles Manson and The Family via Don, somewhat in passing. I think that comparing Don [The Captain] to Charles Manson is actually fair, to a degree.

With Trout Mask Replica, Don would play things on piano, and then John "Drumbo" French would transcribe it. Here's a sample of the work tape.

Trout Mask Replica is campy, weird, strange, fun, and dark. I like it because I don't feel myself marching along in time, like I might do with a more popular song. I never get this feeling of "ooh, here comes that chorus!" Instead, I'm free to just bask in it, and I don't even bother with feeling where the "1" would land. I can focus on vocals, guitar, bass, drums, or whatever, and ride along with that instrument. Sounds different every time, depending on focus.

Bill, Rockette Morton, and a few of the other guys formed a band called MALLARD. They had two albums, got little attention, and that was it. My favorite song of theirs is MAMA SQUEEZE.

This year [2017], The Magic Band is having a farewell tour. Bill "Zoot" has never participated in this venture. It was typically Drumbo and Rockette Morton [Mark Boston]. Mark is too ill to tour this year, so it will just be Drumbo doing his best Captain Beefheart impression.

Back