Cool Setup

ChipJohns

Take a look at the Drums!

Carrie Underwood Invitation Only

Not super practical, but, very showy. Given the opportunity would you like to try something like this..? I'f I played for a big act and had the opportunity to play a small gig like that, It would probably be fun..

But, I guess if I was sitting behind Carrie, I would want as little as possible to block my view..! @:)

It's like a minimalist Keith Carlock setup taken to the extreme.

Works for him, obviously, but those drums would be too low for me to comfortably hit.

Word.

Besides, he can't mount toms over that big kick drum, or they'd be as high as his cymbals!
I didn't even see him go to his "small" tom. Also, notice how his toms are angled AWAY from him!

So do we call that a 1 down, 2 down setup. Doesn't need to worry about the snare stand, tom clamp debate.

Funny how we arrive at these setups. Bill Bruford liked his toms flat, although as Jeff said the toms were angled away from him. That's very odd.

I'm uncomfortable with very high hi hats. I guess it's about having an unimpeded swing with the left hand backbeat while maintaning even strokes on the hats ... ?

105-13641-imgLarg1.jpg

No problem

I played a gig last night so my kits all ripped down just for funny I may play around with this set-up tomorrow…. Going to have to break out the BIG boy 18X16 floors.

This technique might help with your hi hat problem, Polly! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpA0xPw5VMI

Haha, I have never seen that technique used seriously before! I guess with thousands of people teaching themselves how to drum it was bound to happen eventually...

I think if I occupied a position like Goodwin's I would experiment with my set-up too. It's fun to do just in the basement, let alone on stage in front of the cameras.

I did 30 dates with just kick, snare, hats, ride and 1 crash many years ago. Great fun & I'm tempted to do it again. Think I might look around for a 26" kick!

It really does force you to become more creative. I've been listening to more country lately simply for this fact. The drummers are doing some very interesting things. And most of the bigger acts have some monsterish people playing with them. Most are tight., Very Tight..!

Back