Cool drum shops and drumming attractions in the US

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I'm coming to the US and I wanna know what drumming shops and attractions I should check out.. also any tips on where I can play/practice drums would be greatly appreciated.

I'm coming to Los Angeles, then Las Vegas, then Salt Lake City, then Cleveland, then I'll be in Pittsburgh, NYC, maybe Boston and then finally San Francisco.

I think I'll be buying a cymbal set at the very least.

Also I would like to watch some bands but I don't know how to best go about seeing what's on in each city at the times I'm going to be there! Any tips on that?

Thank you!

dat yeti

Can't be of much help unfortunately since I live in Phoenix, Arizona (AZ). But in Harrisburg, across the state of PA, there's Dale's drum shop. http://www.dalesdrumshop.com/

I've bought things over the phone from them and they're very nice. I'd say that they're worth a visit if you can cross the state.

If you ever travel to the phoenix area let me know! I go to Arizona Drum Shop and it's awesome!

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
If you are in Boston, take a trip an hour north of there to Portsmouth New Hampshire. There you'll find an extremely cool store called DrumcenterNH.
In New York city go to Steve Maxwell's drum shop. You must do this if in either city!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
L.A.'s sadly easy. There's one actual drum shop - Pro Drum on Vine St in Hollywood - and not far from there, the Hollywood Guitar Center drum dept. and Sam Ash Drum Shop, which is in the same building!

Cleveland has Stebal's Drum Shop (actually in Willowick.)

Pittsburgh has Drum World.

Not sure what's in NYC at the moment, but Long Island Drum Center is worth a train ride.

Also not sure if Backbeats is still in Salt Lake City, or if there's anything in San Francisco.

10-15 years ago, there were drum shops in every major US city, but they're getting pretty scarce. :(

Bermuda

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I'm coming to the US and I wanna know what drumming shops and attractions I should check out.. also any tips on where I can play/practice drums would be greatly appreciated.

I'm coming to Los Angeles, then Las Vegas, then Salt Lake City, then Cleveland, then I'll be in Pittsburgh, NYC, maybe Boston and then finally San Francisco.

I think I'll be buying a cymbal set at the very least.

Also I would like to watch some bands but I don't know how to best go about seeing what's on in each city at the times I'm going to be there! Any tips on that?

Thank you!
If you are in the LA area on a Tuesday or Thursday, hit me up and I'll let you come down and play the Starclassic in our warehouse studio, We usually show up at 8pm and go until 1:00am usually. I just did some double-drumming the other night with an old drummer friend.

WhoIsTony?

NYC - Steve Maxwells ... 3 floors of the most beautiful drums you will ever lay eyes on , and the staff there is top notch .... it is right in the center of Time Square and slightly hard to find if you don't have the exact address .... like things are in NYC.... the store starts on the second floor. .... but it is an absolute gem indeed.
this place is right up there with Pro Drum Shop as far as quality, quantity, and staff

LA - Pro Drum ... the last of the historic drum shops... it sits in it's original location where they use the original counter and receipt machine that they used in 1959...the original circular center store displays sit displaying amazing kits
the first drum kit they ever sold is there, as is one of Buddys kits atop of the circular display ..... tons of history on the walls.... the building is full of ghosts of eras past and you really never know who will be in there .... Stan and Jerry are the direct link to this rich history and are quite easy to talk to.

those two are something you don't want to miss

in the Boston area you have the Boston Drum Center in Acton which is about 40 minutes from Boston
then there is Jacks Drum Shop which used to be right over by Berklee but now has moved to Hyannis which is about an hour from Boston

both cool shops

in Pitt you have Drum World.... which is ok ... worth a visit

Last edited:

adamosmianski

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. I took lessons at Drum World for 10 years. It's a pretty cool shop.

If you let me know what kind of music you'd like to check out I can recommend some places. Roger Humphries, who was Horace Silver's drummer on the Song for my Father record, as well as some other greats, still has a jam session every Thursday night at a place called CJ's at the corner of 29th and Penn Ave. in the Strip District.

You should check out the Strip District anyway, especially if you're in town on a weekend.

And be sure to eat a Primanti's sandwich! There's a few scattered around the city, but the original one is right there in the Strip.

When are you going to be in Pittsburgh? I'm going to be in town for a few weeks in June before I head back to London. I'd be happy to buy you a beer and show you around.

Send me an e-mail.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
It's really nice of everyone to offer me their hospitality.

Adam, I won't be there until late July unfortunately but I will eat one of those sandwiches and look up those places for sure.

I'm gonna try catch up with Midnight... and Tony, if you're in NYC in early August it would be cool to meet you too. I will have a bit over a week to get around New York and Boston and areas around there.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
+1 for Steve Maxwells.There's no place like it.It's not just a large drum shop.it's almost a museum,amd like Tony said,the staff is very knowledgeable,and friendly.As far as sandwiches,in Manhattan,there's Carnage Deli and Katzs Deli,which are frequented my many celebrities.Both are pretty famous places.A little pricy ,but the best deli you'll find ..anywhere.There's always BB Kings and The Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square.

Steve B

Vegas Island

Las Vegas just has your typical Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Neither are spectacular but they'll do.

As far as WHO to see in Vegas.... here ya go:

A Slight Return: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsPKNatIQkA&feature=share&list=PL4QjPZDcXHqlBq7dWFFEORFzCeI6HHw9e&index=1

Nuff Said (at the Plaza on Fremont Fri & Sat): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqopXIX6HIY&list=PL4QjPZDcXHqlBq7dWFFEORFzCeI6HHw9e&feature=share&index=6

Also the Sin City Sinners (Palms) & Yellow Brick Road (South Point) and if ya can Raiding the Rock Vault (at the Las Vegas Hotel.)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
For Los Angeles,

I agree Pro Drum in Hollywood is a must visit.

As is the Guitar Center Hollywood location, which has the Sam Ash next door. The two biggest chains in the US having massive stores next to each other is a site into itself. And it's forced each respective drum department to up their game.

And if that's not enough, and feel like a long drive, you can check out Jammin Jersey, which had a large eclectic collection of assorted used drums. Their prices tend to be high, but it can be fun looking at some of the odd ball stuff they have.
http://www.jamminjersey.com/

I do believe the D.W. factory offers tours, if you want to drive even further North. Keep in mind, depending on where in LA you are starting from, and time of day, it's can be an hour to several hours drive.

For music, check who is playing at the Baked Potato when you're in town.
http://www.thebakedpotato.com/
Often big name drummers will play here, just blowing chops in this rather small venue.

Other small places big name drummers sometimes play when in town:
The Catalina Jazz club http://www.catalinajazzclub.com/
Lucy's 51 http://lucys51.com/

Check the calendar before committing.

Of course, there is the Famous Whiskey Ago-go where every name LA band from the Doors to Motley Crue to whomever got their start. But unless you know the band playing, I wouldn't bother paying the cover to get in.

But a block away from the Whiskey is the Rainbow Bar and Grille, which isn't a live music venue per se, but it is where famous and semi-famous and the want-to-be famous rock musicians hang out. It can be a trip-y place to hang out, if for nothing else, just to say you were there once.

I wish I new more about San Francisco, as I grew up there and lived there for 24 years. But every place that was cool went out of business , so I have no idea what, if anything, is left.