Cool drum set photo from Beach Boys Days

DW-Doug

Ok, the real story was about him dying in the ocean at Del Ray Bay, and having lived with Manson for a while etc...

But I found this round lugged drum set fascinating. Camco name, sounds like Whamo! I don't know if this photo will display or not.... We'll see.

DW-Doug

Yes Superman, not only the man of steel knows that, but I did too, just didn't state it. Actually, someone else knowledgeable on FB said he didn't actually play drums for BB. Very cool 60s swirl finish, and the round lugs, I can't get over, like DW! I know there are other round lugs, but I never saw any in the 60s-70s. But I never heard of this brand previously either.

Superman

Gold Member
Yes Superman, not only the man of steel knows that, but I did too, just didn't state it. Actually, someone else knowledgeable on FB said he didn't actually play drums for BB. Very cool 60s swirl finish, and the round lugs, I can't get over, like DW! I know there are other round lugs, but I never saw any in the 60s-70s. But I never heard of this brand previously either.
DW and Tama both bought out parts of Camco when they went under..the lugs were taken by DW. Hal Blaine played on all the Beach Boys records and even on Dennis Wilson's solo album. The drummer with Herb Albert had Camco Drums, but of course he didn't play on his records either..lol.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Hate when phony bands pull this nonsense. I prefer legit bands like the Partridge family where the band members truly played their instruments. Chris Partridge was the Vinnie Colaiuta of his day. Monster player. For the younger generations who never heard of these guys, look them up on the web. You won't be disappointed.

steadypocket

Gold Member
And no disrespect Doug but if you weren't aware that DW inherited the turret lug from Camco, we're going to have to strip the DW from your name ... unless it stands for Drummer World :)

lefty2

Platinum Member
Dennis Wilson played at their gigs didn't he? If he did, he must have been good or it wouldn't have worked out. I also thought everyone knew where those DW lugs and DW pedals came from, as well as Tama's Camco pedal. lol

DW-Doug

Well, I guess Mr. DW himself is the last to know about the DW Lug origin. LOL.

Imagine my surprise as I looked at this photo!!!

eddypierce

Cool photo, too bad Dennis Wilson didn't actually play on any of their records.
He actually did play on some of their records. Some of the early ones that he's on (according to Jon Stebbins, who wrote a biography about Dennis) are "Don't Worry Baby," "Wendy," "When I Grow Up To Be A Man," "Dance Dance Dance," and "You're So Good To Me." It actually made a lot of sense to me when I found out that he's on "Wendy," because near the end the drums flub a bit on the drum riff (1 e and a 2) when it enters again, and I always thought it was odd that Hal Blaine would have done that.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
, and the round lugs, I can't get over, like DW! I know there are other round lugs, but I never saw any in the 60s-70s. But I never heard of this brand previously either.
You have to be kidding. You have DW in your name!

And no disrespect Doug but if you weren't aware that DW inherited the turret lug from Camco, we're going to have to strip the DW from your name ... unless it stands for Drummer World :)
Just for clarification, not just inherited, they bought the actual machinery from Camco to make them. They don't just "look" the same, they are the same.

Hate when phony bands pull this nonsense. I prefer legit bands like the Partridge family where the band members truly played their instruments. Chris Partridge was the Vinnie Colaiuta of his day. Monster player. For the younger generations who never heard of these guys, look them up on the web. You won't be disappointed.
I just about spit out my coffee. lol.

chris J

What about The Monkees?
You forgot to mention The Monkees!
Or should I say "The Prefab Four"?

newoldie

Silver Member
Speaking of monster drummers on 60's TV- Per Wikipedia, The Partridge Family series was "loosely based on the real life musical family, The Cowsills." The Cowsills siblings in 1967 were aged between 9-18.
This video of a live performance by the Cowsills ( I assume national TV), evidences such monster drumming featured along with the family's own spectacular tambourine accompanist.
(I humbly admit that at such a young age I would never have held up so well drumming live or on national TV).
https://youtu.be/JlSE2QYImpk