Converting 5 lug drum to 6 lug

Justinhub2003

I believe you, but why would they sound better than the coated ambassadors?
Coated ambassadors are going to let the tone of the shell sing a lot more than a double ply EC2. If I were dealing with cheaper shells, I’d go with a double ply head. It will cut out a lot of the over tones and clean up the sound. I’d be willing to bet if you put one of the heads I suggested on the floor Tom, you’d noticed an incredible difference.

I mean when I was younger I had a set of eclipse drums. The cheapest drums you could buy Back then, but if I slapped remo pinstripes on them, they made them sound like drums and not a toy.

id even check out remo vintage coated ambassadors. They are double ply, not single ply.

there are differing opinions. But to me, the cheaper the shell, the more likely using a thicker head will sound better.

Coated ambassadors are going to let the tone of the shell sing a lot more than a double ply EC2. If I were dealing with cheaper shells, I’d go with a double ply head. It will cut out a lot of the over tones and clean up the sound. I’d be willing to bet if you put one of the heads I suggested on the floor Tom, you’d noticed an incredible difference.

I mean when I was younger I had a set of eclipse drums. The cheapest drums you could buy Back then, but if I slapped remo pinstripes on them, they made them sound like drums and not a toy.

id even check out remo vintage coated ambassadors. They are double ply, not single ply.

there are differing opinions. But to me, the cheaper the shell, the more likely using a thicker head will sound better.
Awesome, thanks so much for the info!

Does this apply only to the batter heads or the resonant, too?

Woolwich

Silver Member
I’ve just looked on eBay in the uk and entered 13” 5 lug drum rim and found a lot of available items. True to form there were also 6 lug rims in there but interestingly a 16” 5 lug rim too. Price wise not expensive either, £10 to £20.
My thoughts are that exploring the possibilities of straightening your hoops or buying better replacements is the starting point. Out of interest have you tried swapping the top and bottom rims of your 13” and 16” drums, just in case putting the wonky rim on the Reso side provides a more acceptable result.

I’ve just looked on eBay in the uk and entered 13” 5 lug drum rim and found a lot of available items. True to form there were also 6 lug rims in there but interestingly a 16” 5 lug rim too. Price wise not expensive either, £10 to £20.
My thoughts are that exploring the possibilities of straightening your hoops or buying better replacements is the starting point. Out of interest have you tried swapping the top and bottom rims of your 13” and 16” drums, just in case putting the wonky rim on the Reso side provides a more acceptable result.
Thanks! When I do that search, I see some results in UK, too, but not much here in the states. Shipping from UK is usually cost-prohibitive for something like this.

I have not tried swapping the hoops. I'll give that a shot.

I did manage to find one supposedly new 13" hoop and ordered that one, so it's on the way. And I've made an offer on a 16" I found, so we'll see how that goes.

Yesterday, I tried straightening out the warped 13" as best I could. I got it to where there was barely any wobble to it. It still wasn't perfect, but it barely wobbled. I put it back on (reso side), and the drum is tuning much better than it was before. It's still not quite as nice-sounding as my 12, but it's much better than before. I'm hoping with the new hoop coming, it'll be even better.

Thanks much for the tips on the heads as well!

convert to single flange hoops using claws.
I hadn't thought of that.

Would I not need to replace the lugs at all then?

After a brief search, it seems that single-flange hoops may run be more expensive in general than triple flange? Is that right?

Sorry, I'm still pretty green on a lot of drum stuff.

markdrum

Silver Member
You might want to save yourself some grief and just look around for a set of used Mapex Meridians. They're really good drums for the money and they probably wouldn't be that much more expensive than this project will turn out being.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Funny idea from Mapex to go 5 lugs on a 16”. The best part of it is that the 14” tornado floor Tom is a 6 lugger. I would never touch the lug pattern, and save for a better kit.

notvinnie

I know some of you may say, "You just need to get a better set of drums." And I understand they're not a great set. But the kick, snare, and 12 really do sound good (to me, anyway), and so I'm hoping that maybe with a straight hoop, the 13 and 16 would as well.
  1. Contact the manufacturer to see if you can buy new hoops from them. Or...
  2. Get a used floor tom, and also a used 13" tom if you really need that. That will be much cheaper and easier than modifying those drums.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I play Gretsch Renown and the rack toms are all 5 lug drums and I have no issue tuning them.

markdrum

Silver Member
Yes, that's the impression I was getting by looking at drumfactorydirect.
I like the single flanged look but they've been having some problems with the hoops being just a little undersized. I bought some from dfd and ended up scrapping them. They wouldn't sit evenly on Remo, Aquarian or Evans single ply heads. I'm sure that they have it straightened out now but that cured me of those. The clips are prohibitively expensive as well.

yammyfan

I play Gretsch Renown and the rack toms are all 5 lug drums and I have no issue tuning them.
Not only are they easy to tune; they hold their tuning like nobody's business.

I used to tune my Yamaha Birch Customs a minimum of once every 7-10 days. I tuned my Renowns about five weeks ago and that was the last time I had to do it. Every time I check, they're right where I left them. I've never seen anything like it.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
The 5 lugs 10 and 12 Renown are indeed a breeze to tune and hold their tuning very well; but they're die-cast hoops or 2.3 for the last series, and fortunately enough, the Gretsch 16" floor is 8 lugs! Nothing comparable to the flimsy 5 hole hoop on the 16" Tornado.