Convert hi hat to cymbal stand?

Birdy

Is this easy- just a case of swapping the vertical tubes over and discarding the pedal? Asking as I have one and need a cymbal stand instead so could just buy a cymbal boom?
Thanks

C. Dave Run

I use a hi hat stand for a second ride cymbal. I put the cymbal in the clutch, on the rod, but have the pedal zip tied to the tube so it is out of the way.

If you want to add a top, you could add a boom. You could also just clamp a boom to another stand and not have to modify the stand.

Can you trade in the hi hat stand towards a boom stand? That's another option.

Benthedrummer

I can understand your level of minimalism with gear.

BUT, even I keep a spare hi hat stand in my storage trunk in the shed.

Hi hat stands can be pricey and if you modify them......there may be no turning back in order to fix it back up.

Having a spare hi hat stand is great if you decide to built a second smaller kit for practice etc.

Booms themselves are quite often as expensive as a full cymbal boom stand......there's a plethora of cheap, quality options regarding boom stands.

I would really consider storing the spare hi hat stand away safely somewhere and treat yourself to a good used or new boom stand.

Birdy

Are boom stands standard tube sizes so I could mix and match manufacturers?

C. Dave Run

Are boom stands standard tube sizes so I could mix and match manufacturers?
Not really. You would need to measure the outer diameter of the top tube then find a matching boom. It shouldnt be too difficult to find a match.

If you do this, you will need to remove the guts of the stand or they might get in the way.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
Honestly? Get yourself a second hand cymbal stand. I've tried fiddling around with hardware for years and whilst you can often get something working one day you'll realise you need a part and you can't find it because it's in a miscellaneous cupboard somewhere and you can't quite remember where you put it. Five minutes before you need to go to a gig.

So just get a second-hand cymbal stand. They're not expensive.

JimmyM

Gold Member
I just outfitted my set with two used PDP boom stands at $25 per from the local Sam Ash. Way better than jury rigging a hi hat stand.

Birdy

I’ll have a go at just putting the cymbal on it as suggested as I need to use what I have rather than just store it. Thanks for the info, I’ll look for a cymbal stand here in UK if it doesn’t work out.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member

This is on eBay right now for a total of 28 Quid after shipping. If you need a straight stand, this will do the job nicely. It's a decent one. Just a cursory search this morning using 'Buy it Now' shows quite a few available for not a lot of money.

Birdy

Just bought a used Pearl bc830 of the bay, fingers crossed it’s ok.

Birdy

Arrived, great condition but minus the threaded nut type thing that secures the cymbal to the stand - is there a universal size I can buy ?
Thanks

wraub

Gold Member
Arrived, great condition but minus the threaded nut type thing that secures the cymbal to the stand - is there a universal size I can buy ?
Thanks

In my somewhat limited experience (three different brands) the wingnuts are interchangeable. Again, though- limited.

Last edited:

Liam

Thanks
Wing nuts are usually 6 or 8mm, if you find the size of yours you can buy some off Amazon or somewhere else.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I did that before, and it worked very well. The hi-hats stand no longer worked, so I used the bottom section and turned it into a cymbal stand. Peace and goodwill.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Considering how cheaply cymbal stands are, I’d leave the hi hat alone. The hi hat could be set aside as a spare should something break in the future. Replacing hi hat stands is more expensive. Spend the $50 for a cheap knock-off cymbal stand instead.
This!