Conventional wisdom versus the actual snare height and seating position of top drummers

You know, I think the navel-height thing probably came about because most people's elbows are at about navel height. So, you can have your elbows bent at 90 degrees and not have to reach up or down.

I don't think most people are real strict about any of this stuff, though.

The odd thing to me is, I see drummers with snares so low they can't possibly play rimshots without hitting their thighs. And they look all stoop-shouldered. It just doesn't look comfortable to me. It makes no sense in my mind. Other than that, I say play whatever is comfy.

Stoop shouldered is not good. Serious back issues can arise.

I was searching the forum about snare height and seating position (knees in relation to hips) because I felt that maybe I've sat too high all along. The conventional wisdom on the forum is the snare should be around the navel or so and the knees should be parallel with the hips.

So I decided to look on YouTube to see how some of the top (or at least well-known) drummers play. Here are screenshots from some of the videos. If you search the drummers' names, these videos will be appear in the first page of results:

Tony Royster: knees below the hips. Snare well below the navel.
dUYUFEn.png

Questlow: knees below the hips. Snare well below the navel.
p2JlINo.png

Benny Greb: knees parallel with hips. Snare well below the navel.
a9zGgar.png

Neil Peart: knees parallel with hips. Snare up high.
gegZAeN.png

Steve Jordan: tough to find vids of him from the side but from what I've seen, his knees are below the hips and the snare is below the navel.
F02c6qJ.jpg

Jo Jo Mayer: knees below the hips. Snare higher but does seem to be below the navel.
fL84VPS.jpg

Mike Johnston: knees parallel with hips. Snare below the navel.
NSYUJYz.png

Dave Weckl: knees parallel with hips mostly in vids I've seen but can be lower. Snare below the navel.
adEKiS8.png

Steve Gadd: knees are mostly parallel in vids I've seen of him. Snare is probably higher than his navel and tilted.
CssX9NA.png

Luke Holland (representing the younger YouTube celebrity drum crowd; plus I personally think he is a terrific drummer): knees parallel. Snare well below the navel.
dvje05L.png

Seems to me that most drummers play with the snare at about crotch level rather than navel level. The knee/hip thing varies but it's probably a good thing back-pain-wise to keep them parallel if you can.
Thank you!!! I was looking for this information and this was exactly what I needed.

It's a basic starting point, but the idea is simply that it's natural and your legs don't get in the way.

We're all made differently.

It's a basic starting point, but the idea is simply that it's natural and your legs don't get in the way.

We're all made differently.
Yeah. I cant imagine sitting in on a short person's kit.

I put my ReelFeel pad on my knees while using it. My snare sits in the same relative height.

True that! His snare is so angled that he hits it with his wrist still turned pretty high up. Another recipe for injury.
Can you expand on this?

Photos I can find show his snare angled up at about 20°. That looks like the natural position you would hold sticks (if using French grip) using so I’m thinking every time you hit the drum you are not hitting with an extended wrist.

Look at the stark contrast in how Steve Smith has changed his posture, seat and drum height as both age and technique have advanced...

Last edited:
This reminds me of how when I started out I sat as high as the seat would go simply because I wanted to look like Stewart Copeland behind the kit and set the toms flat like he did. I didn’t realise he’s a lot taller than me - jeez, it was really hard work! Ringo sat high too which looked very cool to me (and used a 20” bass drum because he felt he was too short). I’ve come down a bit but I still think I might sit too high, but some habits are hard to break (I’m feeling like a 60 year old punk still trying to grease his three strands of hair into a lame mohawk : )

There some good videos regarding:
(a) throne height, leading to
(b) hats and kick pedal placement, and then
(c) snare height and tilt, then onto the
(d) ride cymbal position, and lastly
(e) the rest of the kit.

Drummers and doctors together explain why getting this right avoids pain later on.

I agree with @Jeremy Bender . Another one to look at the drastic change in position over the years is Vinnie. He started out practically sitting on the floor with his knees angled upward.....drastically. And look at him now.

Vinnie was a low rider back in the day : drums

Vinnie Colaiuta music @ All About Jazz

I agree with @Jeremy Bender . Another one to look at the drastic change in position over the years is Vinnie. He started out practically sitting on the floor with his knees angled upward.....drastically. And look at him now.

Vinnie was a low rider back in the day : drums

Vinnie Colaiuta music @ All About Jazz
That is so low. I don't know how he could have started off down there and still become one of the best. Amazing picture.

That is so low. I don't know how he could have started off down there and still become one of the best. Amazing picture.

He was already one of the best back then. He did some of his most insane drumming back then with Frank. The three Joe's Garage albums have some insane playing on them. What I just noticed was how small that bass drum is. I never noticed that before.......until now.

Interesting and informative. You put up all those pictures of great drummers and they are clearly all doing something different with how they set up the drums, how they sit ETC... You got Neil in there and others are doing something else. I love this. It shows us all a pathway to creativity and there is no right or wrong way. Thanks for the post it made me think and great pictures!!!

After breezing through all of this thread about elbows and knees, thought I'd throw in...

Last night (before seeing this thread today), I literally pulled the snare stand out of the base trying to gain maximum height (and it's 14x6, not a piccolo). The back of the snare bottom rim is actually above the bass drum. My throne is also maxed out. I'm 5'10" so not really long limbs but seated lower I feel like everything is too far out of reach. I can do rimshots although I play much lighter today than I did 30 years ago even when playing hard rock, having learned over time that I can do a LOT more with finesse and hands than simply smashing around the kit.

Now I let the drums/heads do most of the work projecting the sound produced by the tips, and focus more on creative fills. ghost notes and execution vs pounding the hell out of them.

Not sure if my navel sits higher than most :LOL:, but can't see how dropping the snare down does anything except make it further to reach the mounted toms. I like everything to flow nicely and prefer to have them as close as possible without touching each other.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 17
  • unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 18
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 17
Dang I've been struggling with adjusting my seat and snare height-how timely. I noted Tony Williams has his snare high as others and always thought it was suppose to be that way. I've had mine low-and my rim shots were just by dropping my arm to my thigh in a spot-fit like a pocket. I've been dealing with raising my snare height and then angle of my snare. I should just gone with what is comfortable. I've trying to play with more power too-so lower would give me more power stroke room for sure. I'm getting use to it higher now though. My Sonor Safari floor tom at full extension is lower than my snare height which I like even. I've always sat up high with legs extended but now much lower and more angle. Probably changing everything was wrong way to go about it.

I have always set my kit up the same way: throne set to where my feet are flat on the floor and my thighs are parallel to the floor. Everything else finds it's place from there.
Now this is just me, I'm 6'2" and have orangutan arms. (my reach is the same as my friend who's 6'8")

It's an interesting topic. For ~30 years I played a 3 up 1 down configuration and have been roughly the same size (5'11) since I was 14 (45yo now).

5 years ago in between gigs I had to move my kit around in the basement to install a new floor. I decided to "try" 1 up and 1 down just to see what the hype was about. I had always hated my ride technique and felt fatigue after a couple really high tempo Blues or Swing tunes and deplored long improvised solos that prolonged the pain.

I decided to start all over with setup...... kick, snare, hi hat and ride........I put those in the most comfortable position that I could play relaxed and easy with no arm fatigue from reaching the ride or hats etc. I then slowly installed the remainder of my current 1up 1 down plus side snare kit.

My philosophy and approach (not that I'm noteworthy per se) when it comes to gear choices and positioning is that for most of us, 90% of the "notes" we play are Kick, Snare, hats and ride.......those comprise your "sound" and are the heart and soul of your setup. Ensuring those main elements are in the most ergonomic and comfortable position for you to play without any muscle or tendon fatigue issues is the "right" setup for you.

As a side note I think those are the places to really invest and ensure you have the best instruments from a gear perspective. People discuss endlessly the choices of toms and woods and kits......they are fun but, your kick, snare, hats and ride are your "sound".....invest there......focus there.....

Back