Consolidating Gear-Opinions Welcomed and Appreciated

35 just seems crazy, I don't even know if I'd have space for that. I just downsized from 3 to 2 because of space vs lack of use.

That being said, to each their own. There are a lot of collectors out there as well. However, if you are asking if you should downsize, usually that means you should.

To the question about trading up, that depends on you and what you are looking for. I'd just look at what stuff you are doing, and what the best fit for those things would be.

I TOTALLY AGREE. I mean, I can't even fathom 35 kits. Sell, sell, sell. Then pick up 2 high end kits or something like that. I mean, I love collections. I wish I had the money for such a collection. But, what's the point? To say exactly what you've asked here. . .what the heck do I do now?

Outside of space/maintenance/sheer amount of stuff considerations, I think it's better to have five or six Stella Artois in the fridge rather than 40 Budweiser.

(Of course I like Bud but having 40 of them on hand, cold....oh what the hell going to Walmart brb)

I have always been and am becoming more of a minimalist in all facets of my life. It is very freeing. Heck, all I gig with is a kick, snare, ride, and hats lol. Anyway, I'm always for getting rid of things. The fact that you are considering it means you are ready to let it go. Keep what you absolutely will get the most use out of plus a fun thing or two and that's it. I'd personally donate a few items and sell the rest but that is just due to the amount of drums in question.

My two 'hobbies' are drums and wet shaving... Two things where people really go overboard and have waaay too much stuff haha. I'm not that guy with either.

Last edited:
I own thee sets of which I use only two regularly, mainly for jazz and rock music in a 1up 1down config.

The third one is a 7 piece kit I sometimes use for certain gigs where a bigger setup is needed. So it is kind of unique at least among my things, and therefor it's a good reason to keep it.

If I had dozens of drum sets one of which would be like the other in different colors, without any added value, I would definitely start to get rid of all that old wood ;)

Collecting valuable things is one thing, hoarding old stuff another.

My two 'hobbies' are drums and wet shaving... Two things where people really go overboard and have waaay too much stuff haha. I'm not that guy with either.
What is wet shaving?

What is wet shaving?

Traditional shaving practice using implements such as animal hair/synthetic shaving brush with soap puck/cream to create lather instead of using canned foam/gel and using double edge (safety), single edge (gem/injector), or straight razors to complete the actual shaving process using a multi-pass 'beard reduction' method. Alot of these guys have 100+ vintage (read: used) razors and keep a rotation of 50+ different lather products and aftershaves. Most of these people start off by seeking a way to eliminate irritation caused by modern multiple blade cartridges, save money vs the price of multiple blade cartridges, produce less waste and be more environmentally friendly, or any combination of the above. It quickly turns into what that community calls "RAD" or "GAS" which stand for 'razor aquisition disorder' or 'gear aquisition syndrom' and are just fancy PC ways of saying 'I spent so much on shaving stuff that my wife wants to leave me' lol.

If you want to simultaneously achieve the best shave of your life and learn far too much about a topic that most people think is strange while doing so in the absolutely most snobby, uptight, absurdly overly-moderated environment imaginable... Check out badger & blade.

Last edited:
Traditional shaving practice using implements such as animal hair/synthetic shaving brush with soap puck/cream to create lather instead of using canned foam/gel and using double edge (safety), single edge (gem/injector), or straight razors to complete the actual shaving process using a multi-pass 'beard reduction' method. Alot of these guys have 100+ vintage (read: used) razors and keep a rotation of 50+ different lather products and aftershaves. Most of these people start off by seeking a way to eliminate irritation caused by modern multiple blade cartridges, save money vs the price of multiple blade cartridges, produce less waste and be more environmentally friendly, or any combination of the above. It quickly turns into what that community calls "RAD" or "GAS" which stand for 'razor aquisition disorder' or 'gear aquisition syndrom' and are just fancy PC ways of saying 'I spent so much on shaving stuff that my wife wants to leave me' lol.

If you want to simultaneously achieve the best shave of your life and learn far too much about a topic that most people think is strange while doing so in the absolutely most snobby, uptight, absurdly overly-moderated environment imaginable... Check out badger & blade.

I thought this was what you were talking about but I didn't want to assume anything. So that's cool. I always wanted to get a straight razor. Then I think about it. A fairly long razor sharp blade scraping my throat....there's water and soap around...I think I'll just stick with the CVS disposal cheapo safety blades, which lasts me around 3 months each. I'm rather fond of my jugular vein :)

I didn't know there was such a culture around shaving lol.

Do they have any stats about how many people die per year of jugular slices from straight razors? Probably not, bad for business. I hope it's none. But vending machines falling on people supposedly claims a few lives a year, so it's a valid question :)

Thanks for the info!

I have to check that website out now.

I thought this was what you were talking about but I didn't want to assume anything. So that's cool. I always wanted to get a straight razor. Then I think about it. A fairly long razor sharp blade scraping my throat....there's water and soap around...I think I'll just stick with the CVS disposal cheapo safety blades, which lasts me around 3 months each. I'm rather fond of my jugular vein :)

I didn't know there was such a culture around shaving lol.

Do they have any stats about how many people die per year of jugular slices from straight razors? Probably not, bad for business. I hope it's none. But vending machines falling on people supposedly claims a few lives a year, so it's a valid question :)

Thanks for the info!

I have to check that website out now.

It's a slippery slope my friend haha. They are mostly good people around there, they just have a reputation for mods going to the extreme on a regular basis. In all honesty, I would get banned from their page if they found out I even mentioned being a member on a different forum (even though this is about drums and not razors). Anywho, to help bring this back on topic somewhat: those people keep 50 different razors around because they swear they feel and respond different... Not unlike us and snare drums or cymbals. But at the end of the day, regardless of shape/size/color/age of your razor it still shaves hair and regardless of the shape/size/color/age of your snare or cymbal it will still make noise. Different strokes, heard?

Last edited:
It's a slippery slope my friend haha. They are mostly good people around there, they just have a reputation for mods going to the extreme on a regular basis. In all honesty, I would get banned from their page if they found out I even mentioned being a member on a different forum (even though this is about drums and not razors). Anywho, to help bring this back on topic somewhat: those people keep 50 different razors around because they swear they feel and respond different... Not unlike us and snare drums or cymbals. But at the end of the day, regardless of shape/size/color/age of your razor it still shaves hair and regardless of the shape/size/color/age of your snare or cymbal it will still make noise. Different strokes, heard?

This is somewhat fascinating to me. Never in a million years would I have guessed that there would be a culture around wet shaving.

So if there are shaving forums, there must be a forum for every other form of personal grooming too. Interesting.

50 razors, wow. I don't know why this tickles me so much but it does, this coming from a guy who at one point had over 30 drums ha ha.

From the heart, thanks for sharing that. You expanded my little world. Plus you are doing so at great peril! Thank you!

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/

I have never owned more than 2 or 3 drum sets concurrently. I can't even fathom owning 35. There are many retail stores that don't even stock that many. I suggest just keeping your four or five favorites and selling the rest. Only then would I consider thinking about acquiring anything else. You say the drums sound great, so I really don't know why you would need a change.

I have never owned more than 2 or 3 drum sets concurrently. I can't even fathom owning 35. There are many retail stores that don't even stock that many. I suggest just keeping your four or five favorites and selling the rest. Only then would I consider thinking about acquiring anything else. You say the drums sound great, so I really don't know why you would need a change.

After a few yars on drum forums, I have observed that a good deal of drummers seem to be collectors not only of drums but also of cars, motorcycles, guitars, razors, etc.

Guys owning 50 snare drums or 300 cymbals are not uncommon, and I am certain someone somewhere owns more than 100 drum sets.

Not judging in any way, just an observation.

I would sell them, but then I'd never have bought 35 in the first place!!

For me, endless mid level kits vs a lesser amount of top end kits is a no brainer too. I understand the bug of collecting, but collections should be of something 'special' not just stuff that there are hundreds of out there. But then people collect empty beer bottles so what do I know........

For the record, I use a Truefitt & Hill badger's hair shaving brush, a Truefitt razor, and Taylors of Old Bond Street shaving cream and shaving soap.

I've never had more than four kits at a time, I have five snares in rotation, but in reality only use two or three. There are three or four others that I've tuned up and never used. Cymbals? Well, I'll have to have a think...

Last edited:
1). If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I like the idea of selling a lot of mediocre stuff and buying 2-3 really nice kits.

2) If you did decide to go the consolidation route, how would you choose to sell a massive amount of gear? I know Reverb/Ebay is viable, but what about possibly contacting a local drum shop that would have the capacity and knowledge to deal with the gear and maybe do a "bulk sale" (Jim Rupp's place, Columbus Pro Percussion, is less than 2 hours from me). Would you pursue that route?

On one hand...
First, I'd ask your drummer friends if any of them would be interested in buying a kit or if they can spread the word that you are getting ready to start selling.

Second, I'd list every kit on CL in your state. Let the locals cherry pick what they want.

Third, I'd list what's left Reverb/EvilBay.

On the other hand...
Normally, I would say "no" to a giant package deal. However, if you live in an area where there aren't a ton of drummers, I'd possibly consider it. You have a lot of cost tied up in these drums in addition to potential costs to ship each kit out individually in addition to fees for selling on ebay or Reverb. The amount of time it would take to pack up 30-something kits sounds like a nightmare in my book. I'd develop a dollar in your mind as to what you would like and see what they can do. If your number and their number are too far apart, then consider selling locally. I'd probably limit it to selling 5-10 at a time.

This may be just me, but I'd be willing to take a significant loss just to get them out of the way. Not a loss on the level of "stupid," but if I could get it done in one swoop and the numbers feel good, then I would do it (you can always say "no" to the offer). You wouldn't have to worry about taking lots of pictures, editing those pictures, writing detailed descriptions, listing them, answering emails, finding shipping boxes, running to the USPS, buying insurance, calculating shipping costs, and dealing with potential damages. In my life right now, I simply do not have the time; however, if you do and you enjoy the process of doing all of these things, then by all means, do what you like! To me, I'd rather lose about 20%-30% on each kit to NOT have to do this, but like I said, I don't enjoy the process of selling. Ultimately, it's up to you what you want to do. You have a higher likelihood of making more selling online; however, is it worth your time and energy? I think only YOU can answer this.

3) I'm thinking I would probably enjoy the few high end kits more, because it's less to think about and keep track of, and I know in my heart that they are very high end kits that I got to pick out myself. Plus I could display them all, set up, in one room in my house (no way I can do that now!) and save money by getting rid of the storage unit. Do you agree?
Yes. I agree 100%. While there are some special cases out there, I would never want any sort of long-term rental storage fee to store crap I never even see.

4) Do you think I would notice the difference between my mid-level kits I am used to, and a high end kit? Build quality, sound, ease of tuning etc?
If you care comparing a Japanese stencil kit to something like a American-made Gretsch, Ludwig, etc., then yes. You should notice a significant difference. Granted, old 3-ply kits with re-rings are fantastic; however, those old Japanese stencil kits may look cool, but many of them sound horrid to my ears.

Best of luck with all of this! :)

Back