Considering my “retirement” kit

Jbravo

In the not too distant future I’m intending to buy my next, and hopefully last, kit. The sizes will be 14x24, 16x18, 16x16, and 9x13, all in white marine finish.

My first thought was Ludwig classic maples with all new Ludwig hardware.

Then I got to thinking I have all DW hardware including a 5000 double kick pedal, and I love it. I also had a 8x14 performance series snare, that I liked a lot, but I eventually sold to go to a smaller drum.

With that in mind I’m starting to think- why not a DW kit. I prefer moderately thin shells, and my understanding is that the performance series shells fit the bill. The performance series would also be a little cheaper, although not enough that I would care price wise either way.

I guess I’m looking for input from people who have or have had DW performance kits. Even better if you have experience with Ludwig classic maple to compare it to.

For my preferred sound think moderately high tuning with no dampening. (Kinda Bonhamish).

As this is my retirement(last) kit, I intend to buy new rather than used.
And I don’t need to save money for “good” cymbals, as I just bought my dream set a month or so ago.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Steve

PS- I live near Aberdeen SD, so playing a set is not really an option unless I drive 3-600+ miles away. I’ll have to order and have them shipped...

Last edited:

trickg

Silver Member
A a couple of churches I play at fairly regularly have DW Performance series kits as their house kits. The guy that chose the kit for one church made a recommendation to the second church - we're all friends and know each other.

I will say this - those drums have always sounded stellar to my ears, but other than playing rehearsals and Sunday services on them, in place, behind Plexiglas shields, I don't have a lot of experience with them. With that being said, I seriously doubt if you'd be disappointed with them.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Now this is fun. I say you take all the time you need and get out and play everything you can and let your ears guide you. Just enjoy the hell out of the process and knowing that this kit is THE kit for you. Go big....then go home and play! Keep us posted, great finish and sizes you seek.

Jbravo

Thanks guys! I just added a P S to the post as I live in a great music gear desert... :). I am doing a lot of online research, though.

Lennytoons

Ludwigs all the way. When I think of white marine pearl it's always Ludwig. Classic Maples or Legacy Classics (mahogany) would be my choice.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think if you want Bonham-ish sizes and Bonham-ish tuning, and this is meant to be a special kit, just go ahead and get either the Ludwig Legacy Maple or Legacy Mahogany.

I don't intend to slight the Performance series, but I can't see buying a mid-line kit over top of the line if this is meant to be "the one."

gdmoore28

Gold Member
The DW Performance kits are just fine.

That's why you should get the Ludwigs. Much better than fine.

GeeDeeEmm

productImage

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The Vintage Sonors-beech shells, old school-nice kits. Something to think about. Actually after that three kit video Canopus would something different to check out-I know little of them honestly.

Attachments

• klick_kategorie-drums_vintage_three22_shell_set_nm_2016.jpg
    klick_kategorie-drums_vintage_three22_shell_set_nm_2016.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 769

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm not quite sure what the question is about the hardware. All of it should work regardless of drum brand.

Jbravo

I'm not quite sure what the question is about the hardware. All of it should work regardless of drum brand.

The question wasn’t about hardware. I had in mind that I would buy Ludwig drums. Then thinking about how much I like the DW products I have and use, made me wonder why I wasn’t considering DW for the drums too. :)

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Most guys I work with buy a new truck or car to have for retirement years, so I'd say you're still being very reasonable!

I like the idea of those new Ludwig's you are considering ordering.

alparrott

Platinum Member
If you hurry you can get into one of the last Guru drumsets ever made...

Jbravo

Most guys I work with buy a new truck or car to have for retirement years, so I'd say you're still being very reasonable!

I like the idea of those new Ludwig's you are considering ordering.
F5D85DDB-9DA3-4AC1-8AE3-7C3E7E9D865F.jpeg
I’ve got the toys covered. If I’m happy with what I have I won’t replace them till they need it.?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
There are so many nice DW Performance series that come up for sale used, it's tough to say get a set new. Not sure why so much turnover with those. To me, they sound better than the Collectors Series.

Your getting older, so you'll likely end up hating your 5000 series HW soon enough. If hardware is going to dictate the purchase, then go with something that will look great with flat based HW. LOL! Ludwig, Gretsch, Sonor Vintage (not sure if you can get an 18' FT though). Unless you go nuts with finishes, they will cost as much as the Performance series. Also depends if you're looking for a modern or more vintage sound. DW is definitely more modern. For modern, the Tama Starclassic maple or bubinga, or Yamaha Recording Customs. For more vintage, either of the first three.

Groov-E

Silver Member
Ludwig, Gretsch, Sonor Vintage (not sure if you can get an 18' FT though). Unless you go nuts with finishes, they will cost as much as the Performance series. Also depends if you're looking for a modern or more vintage sound. DW is definitely more modern. For modern, the Tama Starclassic maple or bubinga, or Yamaha Recording Customs. For more vintage, either of the first three.

I agree with this 100%.

Not that I dislike the Performance series, I used to own a set.

That kit with a 22 inch bass drum is more than enough as it is a freakin cannon, and I think a 24 would really be overkill in this specific line.

I like them, I just don't really see them as a special retirement kit.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I think if you want Bonham-ish sizes and Bonham-ish tuning, and this is meant to be a special kit, just go ahead and get either the Ludwig Legacy Maple or Legacy Mahogany.

I don't intend to slight the Performance series, but I can't see buying a mid-line kit over top of the line if this is meant to be "the one."
I agree with all of this. Also, you could get any add-on size easily.

Jbravo

I agree with this 100%.

Not that I dislike the Performance series, I used to own a set.

That kit with a 22 inch bass drum is more than enough as it is a freakin cannon, and I think a 24 would really be overkill in this specific line.

I like them, I just don't really see them as a special retirement kit.

I’m thinking there’s a big difference between the sound of an 18x22 kick an a 14 deep x 24. And I’m completely set on the sizes listed. They are the same as my current kit, except I now have a 16x26 kick

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Is it possible/feasible to travel to say Chicago (or any other city) and visit a large drum shop to audition some kits in the store to hear how they sound in person?
If yes, then I'd call ahead and talk to them about your ideas for a new kit.

Jbravo

There are so many nice DW Performance series that come up for sale used, it's tough to say get a set new. Not sure why so much turnover with those. To me, they sound better than the Collectors Series.

Your getting older, so you'll likely end up hating your 5000 series HW soon enough. If hardware is going to dictate the purchase, then go with something that will look great with flat based HW. LOL! Ludwig, Gretsch, Sonor Vintage (not sure if you can get an 18' FT though). Unless you go nuts with finishes, they will cost as much as the Performance series. Also depends if you're looking for a modern or more vintage sound. DW is definitely more modern. For modern, the Tama Starclassic maple or bubinga, or Yamaha Recording Customs. For more vintage, either of the first three.

Well, I’m not so old yet that I’ll forget I really like my DW hardware...? And my current hardware other than pedals is 3000 series, so it’s very stable but very light for double braced stands. (Good for my pre-curmudgeonly back!)

And I doubt ( although I still have a lot of on line listening to do), that the DW’s sound a lot more modern than the classic maple.

I probably shouldn’t have mentioned hardware at all, as that’s not a big deal, and not the focus of my thoughts. It’s how GOOD the DW hardware is that made me wonder why I hadn’t considered their shells too...