Considering a new Pearl kit

Was it this video? This is what sold me as well.
My kit is the same color and configuration, except I have a 13” for it and the matching snare. I think Christian talks about using either a reference or master snare.
The cut the 8” has oh my god, that thing is like a crack of thunder.

Wow, that honestly may be one of the best sounding kits I've ever heard

Well, here I am looking at buying another kit again. To be honest I am not really sure why and I already have a couple of really nice kits. I have been gigging and recording with my DW performance kit for the last few years. I felt a bit tired of them and decided to pull my Ebony Renowns out of storage and gig with them this year (what gigs we do end up having or not. So far that has been 3 for the year). I fell back in love with my Gretch kit after that first gig with them but I have a terrible itch for a set of Pearl drums and I cannot seem to shake it.

What sizes are the Ebony Renown kit? LMK if you decide to sell them as I'm in Western PA so you wouldn't have to ship.

Was it this video? This is what sold me as well.
My kit is the same color and configuration, except I have a 13” for it and the matching snare. I think Christian talks about using either a reference or master snare.
The cut the 8” has oh my god, that thing is like a crack of thunder.

Exactly! That's the video. The decision has been made and the kit is paid for. I am going on a road trip tomorrow to pick it up. I am so stoked to check these drums out as I have been watching them on YT ever since the series made it's debut in 2018. The kit is a Pearl Session Studio Select in Antique Crimson Burst. Configuration is 8/10/12/14FL & 22" kick (with the tom mount) and the matching 14 x 6.5" snare drum. This is a brand new kit but obviously pieced together a bit. He is also including a set of 1000 series long tom arms for the kick drum. One of my first add-on tom purchases will be the matching gong bass drum because I have wanted a full-sized gong drum for SO long. I'm sure the 16" floor tom won't be far behind. I thank everyone for their insights and opinions and will post pics once I get everything set up.

I will keep that in mind. The Renowns are 8/10/12/16FL and 22 kick. I have a RN1 14" floor tom that I have been using with the kit but it doesn't match. It's satin black and the kit is transparent ebony gloss. Also been using a RN 14 x 5.5" snare that is silver sparkle lacquer. The kit has the die-cast hoops.

I will keep that in mind. The Renowns are 8/10/12/16FL and 22 kick. I have a RN1 14" floor tom that I have been using with the kit but it doesn't match. It's satin black and the kit is transparent ebony gloss. Also been using a RN 14 x 5.5" snare that is silver sparkle lacquer. The kit has the die-cast hoops.
Wouldn't be interested in the snare or the 14" FT. Just the 22-8-10-12-16. Provided they're in good shape. You could PM me some pics if you want.

Wouldn't be interested in the snare or the 14" FT. Just the 22-8-10-12-16. Provided they're in good shape. You could PM me some pics if you want.

That's cool. I can send you some pics. They are basically mint. I can't stand it when players don't take care of their equipment. I realize it's theirs to do with as they please, still irks me though.

Exactly! That's the video. The decision has been made and the kit is paid for. I am going on a road trip tomorrow to pick it up. I am so stoked to check these drums out as I have been watching them on YT ever since the series made it's debut in 2018. The kit is a Pearl Session Studio Select in Antique Crimson Burst. Configuration is 8/10/12/14FL & 22" kick (with the tom mount) and the matching 14 x 6.5" snare drum. This is a brand new kit but obviously pieced together a bit. He is also including a set of 1000 series long tom arms for the kick drum. One of my first add-on tom purchases will be the matching gong bass drum because I have wanted a full-sized gong drum for SO long. I'm sure the 16" floor tom won't be far behind. I thank everyone for their insights and opinions and will post pics once I get everything set up.
Don’t know what the price was but sounds like you scored a plug and play SST, good job. Let alone one with the BB3 brackets, that is not standard for these kits. Coming from factory, I had a chance to get mine with the option but declined.
As far as add ons I probably will look to get an 18” floor tom for big/pro beat bank coverage.

I say pick the SONOR. Just kidding!! I’ve only owned the cheaper Pearl Forum and now Decades but both held up well. I don’t know why Pearl gets so much grief other than tubular tom mounts. But I’ve played at church a Masters maple then there was a Sessions or it’s precursor?? And both were great kits . Sounded fantastic just acoustically ( they were mic’ed) in a big church sanctuary. I drooled over Reference forever and then the Pures came out. All Bo’s Pearls-Reference, Pure, Sessions, I think a Masters too- correct me if I’m wrong, and then lesser kits and Frankenmorphs all sounded great!!! course he plays and records well. I’m pretty sure Bo has owned or played about every high to intermediate kit Pearl makes the last couple of decades so a pretty good source for specific details on any I reckon. He’s owned more Pearls than any other forum member I wager-pm me I’m taking bets LOL- just kidding! I think I’d have the odds though hmmmm.

Don’t know what the price was but sounds like you scored a plug and play SST, good job. Let alone one with the BB3 brackets, that is not standard for these kits. Coming from factory, I had a chance to get mine with the option but declined.
As far as add ons I probably will look to get an 18” floor tom for big/pro beat bank coverage.

That looks to be the case. The gentlemen that I picked the kit up from said he thought that the kick drum was from a NAMM show last year. It was in a Pearl box but not the Session Studio select box like the other drums were. The kit is great. I scored a 16" floor tom for about half price and it will soon be a 7pc kit. Really happy with the kit so far. The chrome is perfect and the finish is just gorgeous. I have unboxed it but haven't had a chance to set them up. I also forgot to take pics of the whole kit unpacked. Duh! I do have a pic of the snare and the 8" tom. I can't wait to lay in to these properly and hear what they sound like up close. Will post pics soon.

I say pick the SONOR. Just kidding!! I’ve only owned the cheaper Pearl Forum and now Decades but both held up well. I don’t know why Pearl gets so much grief other than tubular tom mounts. But I’ve played at church a Masters maple then there was a Sessions or it’s precursor?? And both were great kits . Sounded fantastic just acoustically ( they were mic’ed) in a big church sanctuary. I drooled over Reference forever and then the Pures came out. All Bo’s Pearls-Reference, Pure, Sessions, I think a Masters too- correct me if I’m wrong, and then lesser kits and Frankenmorphs all sounded great!!! course he plays and records well. I’m pretty sure Bo has owned or played about every high to intermediate kit Pearl makes the last couple of decades so a pretty good source for specific details on any I reckon. He’s owned more Pearls than any other forum member I wager-pm me I’m taking bets LOL- just kidding! I think I’d have the odds though hmmmm.

I play Pearl exclusively and have owed eight Pearl kits over the last three-and-a-half decades -- starting with Exports, then moving on to BLXs and Masters and settling in recent years on the Session Studio Select series, my favorite of all I've played. Pearl's quality is high from top to bottom. I think Pearl gets "so much grief" because the Export, historically, has been its most heavily marketed kit, and many drummers associate Pearl with amateur equipment. That's an unfortunate misconception that's led to indefensible bias. No Pearl kit (or hardware) has ever failed me in any setting -- live or studio. That's why I'll never forsake the brand.

Pearl enthusiast here as well ;)
I have a Vision set (2012) and a Masters BCX (2014). If i would get a new kit now i would probably get the Session series as well. The combination between birch and mahogany appeals a lot to me. Also i love the finishes they offer in the Session line! And also because it's cheaper than the rest hehehe

I was tempted to get a Crystal Beat as well when they came out, but I've read some issues with the shell cracking (mainly where the floor toms lugs are bolted to the shell). Could be that that is fixed, haven't been on the PDF in ages and a little out of the loop.

Sweetwater has a 4pc shell pack of the Masters Maple Complete for $1200. I don’t need them or have much room for them but that price seems great. I had a set of exports and export selects in the past and I loved them.

I have a Vision set (2012) and a Masters BCX (2014). If i would get a new kit now i would probably get the Session series as well.

iCe, the birch/African mahogany union of the Session Studio Select series is like no other I've played. Its combined clarity and warmth can only be described as unique. Its shell construction is Masters-grade, and its hoops and hardware are superb. You won't be disappointed if you decide to go the Session route.

I play Pearl exclusively and have owed eight Pearl kits over the last three-and-a-half decades --

Make it 3. Been playing Pearl since 93 and haven't looked back.

If I ever need to buy another kit, you can bet your (whatever you choose) it will be another Pearl kit.

Pearl makes great stuff. Their quality is top notch. I gigged Session Customs (7.5mm maple shell) for years. Good hardware too. They've been doing it quite a while now.

I'd love to try their premium offerings, like the Masterworks I think they're called.

I'm totally hooked on really thin shells. I'll never forget the set of DC drums I heard at NAMM 2015. I think DC stands for Drum Craft. I recall them being connected somehow with Soultone cymbals.

Those DC shells were about as thin as an American quarter, no exaggeration, straight with no rings, I don't know how they did that, and to top it off, they were tuned amazing. Knocked me out.

What about the Renown kit? :unsure:

I will sending you some pics shortly sir.

I apologize for the quick pics as I have not had the time to get the kit set up yet. My drum room is a total wreck right now. I'll probably get it all ironed out this weekend as I will be taking them out on their maiden voyage on the 25th for a gig. Really happy with this kit so far. The pics below are from my phone and the color seems a bit washed out. The red looks really deep in person, kind of like a transparent candy apple red. Really stunning looking. My 16" floor tom and the gong bass drum should be here tomorrow.

sessionselect1.jpgsessionselect2.jpgsessionselect3.jpg

Pearl makes great stuff. Their quality is top notch. I gigged Session Customs (7.5mm maple shell) for years. Good hardware too. They've been doing it quite a while now.

I'd love to try their premium offerings, like the Masterworks I think they're called.

I'm totally hooked on really thin shells. I'll never forget the set of DC drums I heard at NAMM 2015. I think DC stands for Drum Craft. I recall them being connected somehow with Soultone cymbals.

Those DC shells were about as thin as an American quarter, no exaggeration, straight with no rings, I don't know how they did that, and to top it off, they were tuned amazing. Knocked me out.

The birch/African mahogany shells of the current Session Studio Select generation are down to 5.4 mm with 60-degree bearing edges. That's one component that drew me in.

I will sending you some pics shortly sir.

I apologize for the quick pics as I have not had the time to get the kit set up yet. My drum room is a total wreck right now. I'll probably get it all ironed out this weekend as I will be taking them out on their maiden voyage on the 25th for a gig. Really happy with this kit so far. The pics below are from my phone and the color seems a bit washed out. The red looks really deep in person, kind of like a transparent candy apple red. Really stunning looking. My 16" floor tom and the gong bass drum should be here tomorrow.

View attachment 94210View attachment 94211View attachment 94212
Congrats, man. I assure you of the quality of your selection. Enjoy!

Back