Considering a New Kit - WWDWD?

TTNW

Pioneer Member
So I have some money saved to buy some new gear and I was wondering what you guys would do? Here's my choices so far:

I've got $2,200 to spend.

I have an 8 piece maple kit 22/8/10/12/14/16/18 + various snares
I have a 4 piece mahogany kit 18/12/14 + snare

I've been considering getting a Tama Star Classic Birch Bubinga 22/12/14/16 + snare or

Gretsch Catalina Rock in Mahogany WMP 24/13/16/18 + 14x6.5 snare with a set of Paiste Giant Beats (24/15hh/18/20) - this kit would match my Gretsch Cat Jazz and would give me a two BD 24&18 set with 5 toms and two snares

PDP805 Black on Black with birch shells and either the set of Paiste GBs or a set of Sabians 14 Groove Hats/21 Groove Ride/18HHX plosion crash and one other 20 inch crash.

DW used 24x16/13x9/16x16/14x6sn all in a mahogany stain finish which also comes with some DW7000 hardware (which I don't really need, but..)

Let me know what you think. I'm sort of torn between getting either a high end kit or getting an intermediate kit with a new set of cymbals that are different than all my Zildjians.

Thanks

ooh TTnWs getting a new kit :p. always liked your blue pdp.

my votes would be between the tamas or DWs , i would grab the Giant beats as well i really want a set now :p. also a bit of a mix up from the rest of your gear.

I don't know. It sounds like you've got the bases covered. I would look for something unique to add to your palette of sounds, like maybe a concert bass drum, or maybe expand your skill set and get some congas.

I've been tempted to buy an $800 36x14 Pearl concert bass drum and some spurs and then frankenstein a rack and floor to make a huge boomy kit.. but I'm not sure whether it's practical. I actually have a nice pair of blond Toca congas. I keep them in the living room almost as furniture since I don't play them much.

ooh TTnWs getting a new kit :p. always liked your blue pdp.

my votes would be between the tamas or DWs , i would grab the Giant beats as well i really want a set now :p. also a bit of a mix up from the rest of your gear.

One really awesome kit is what I'm leaning toward, but it might be cool to get a lot of drums and a new set of pies so I'm not sure what to do yet.

My PDPs have served me well and I truly have all the bases covered with it but now I want to splurge so.. I don't know.

The bubingas are so thunderous and awesome I really want them more than the DWs

Last edited:
Bide your time and keep looking on Craigslist. About half the drum sets ever made are for sale there, at very good prices. You may need to spend several days removing the steep tom angles but it will be worth it.

Well patience is one of my virtues. I should probably look for the bubinga used and maybe be able to get a set of new cymbals too.

I'm just ready and man I played the both the Tama and PDPs and they both sound great.

Those 805's are a great deal for a big birch kit, but I'm not sure I want another PDP.

The Tamas are just so awesome. I'll keep looking but I still want some opinions on the Gretsch option. I could have a really badass WMP if I go that route.

If you can wait to save up for a new bubinga kit id do that, thats the 100% bubinga im on about not the b/b. I have the full bubinga in ultraviolet sparkle. Its the best kit ive ever heard. People say its limited to what it can be tuned to. WRONG. People who say that, have not played one of these kits. I strongly advised you, if possible, to get a full bubinga. Especially if you want a high end kit! Good luck in your search!

I would love to be in the situation your in. I mean its kinda impossible to go wrong. Btw were did you find a Cat Club rock kit in WMP because I was going to get the Birch kit in WMP and put it together with my Cat Club Jazz in WMP.

I would love to be in the situation your in. I mean its kinda impossible to go wrong. Btw were did you find a Cat Club rock kit in WMP because I was going to get the Birch kit in WMP and put it together with my Cat Club Jazz in WMP.

Online and in catalogues the Cat Club Rock comes in the silver sparkle but the kit is available in WMP if you order it. Same price. There are also a few other finishes available like the black nitron and some other wraps. As long as the kit stays in production I can get one in WMP.

I'm starting to think that I want a birch or the bubinga.

I love my maples but the punchy cutting sound of the bubingas is what I'm leaning toward.

I'm scouring Ebay and Craigslist to see if there's one for sale.

Since you have a 22" and and 18" bass drum kit, I'd say you're missing a 20" bass drum kit.

But I also admit it would be tempting to go bubinga or oak in any size just to have something different.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. Thanks. Just to throw my 5 cents in I would go with the Bubinga.

I have scrutinized a number of online sites for kit impressions,visited music stores and have seen a fair amount of live music. Four kits are "distinctive" - that is - unique to my ears.
1.Yamaha BCAN. I have owned the Yamaha Birch custom absolute kit,and it sounded fantastic. Also,consider the Sonor high-end birch (SQ2?) If I had unlimited funds,I would always possess a BCAN Yamaha kit.
2. Yamaha Beech.
3. Mapex Saturn
4. Yamaha/Gretsch purewood Oak
5. Trick.
I have heard a sonor acrylic kit that sounded "good" ,as well. I recently saw Chip Ritter playing the Trick kit recently at Drumers for Jesus in Dallas. I was amazed at the sound miked up thru the roof,never imagining that an aluminum kit could sound so good.
Configuration/sizes are personal choices,but the four kits mentioned above have that something "unique". The Mapex meridian birch also sounds great to me.
Good Luck
tracer

i took a chance on a DW Eco X kit and fell in love. its a sweet kit and cymbal fusion has it $500 cheaper than anyone at $2250 i think. Awesome value and has a unique tone which i love and bass drum is to die for.

Birch or another maple kit, w/perhaps a smaller kick. My Yamaha's have a 20 X16 kick which is plenty deep and plenty loud. Ditto for the toms-8 x10, 9X12 & 14 x14. Got 'em for about that which you have to spend. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would go for a professional level kit. bigger kick .
While the gretsch catalina rock idea sounds great, I think it's kind of a weird kit to begin with. you have a huge kit with mahogany shells so it doesn't really project well. If you play any high volume rock you will be lost unless your mic'd up and going through the p.a.

My vote is for the dw's, then the tama b/b kit. You already have two great intermedate kits, I would say get something pro. Your catalina bop kit will cover the low volume gigs, the pdp will cover pretty much anything from jazz to funk to rock. go big and loud with a large sized dw kit, or the loud projecting b/b tama's.

While the gretsch catalina rock idea sounds great, I think it's kind of a weird kit to begin with. you have a huge kit with mahogany shells so it doesn't really project well. If you play any high volume rock you will be lost unless your mic'd up and going through the p.a.

My vote is for the dw's, then the tama b/b kit. You already have two great intermedate kits, I would say get something pro. Your catalina bop kit will cover the low volume gigs, the pdp will cover pretty much anything from jazz to funk to rock. go big and loud with a large sized dw kit, or the loud projecting b/b tama's.

I second this.If you already have 2 intermedate kits the Gretsch kit is going to make it 3.Not upgrading.Id do the Tamas out of what your list is.One set id look at also if its birch you want is Yamaha Birch custom absolute.Outstanding drums,and Yamaha mounts and hardware are 2nd to none........

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I think you are already well stocked on drum gear. Is there anything else that you don't have already that could be useful to you, such as a good set of microphones, some audio software, a good set of bags/cases, maybe an e-kit for quiet practice?

I am leaning toward the Tama. It has it all. Awesome sounding shells, good mounts and excellent quality.

I second this.If you already have 2 intermedate kits the Gretsch kit is going to make it 3.Not upgrading.Id do the Tamas out of what your list is.One set id look at also if its birch you want is Yamaha Birch custom absolute.Outstanding drums,and Yamaha mounts and hardware are 2nd to none........

I've been so tempted to get a birch kit. The Yammies are certainly nice, although I'm not particularly enamored with their tom mount system. I'm going to keep looking.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I think you are already well stocked on drum gear. Is there anything else that you don't have already that could be useful to you, such as a good set of microphones, some audio software, a good set of bags/cases, maybe an e-kit for quiet practice?

You have a point. I could round out my selection of mics and get bags and cases for the rest of my crap. What to do? What to do?

Back