Connecting with Other Musicians On Line

ottog1979

So the "How do you describe your playing on CL" thread prompted this question:

What sites other than CL do you find are the most useful in meeting other musicians when you need to fill a vacant band position? I'm in San Diego and have used Bandmix but it's about the same as CL.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think I still have a profile on BandMix that I put up years ago. And it led to ONE hook up with a guitar player that I worked with for a few months. Other than that, nothing.

What I've been doing is just posting videos of my playing on Youtube, and then telling my friends on FaceBook about it. I started a drumming page on facebook too, and that's where I friend all the drummers I meet - so if they're involved in fb, then they get a notification that I've put something up there. Slowly but surely, word starts to get out. I joined Drummerworld and let people know I had videos up and that's how I met Bermuda. So I think one should put himself out there on YouTube, then let everybody know he has stuff to see from me. I figure that's a nice way to do it - then if they're not interested, you're not putting pressure on them to watch, if they are interested, you don't know if they're watching.

Walt Disney said something like, if you're into something, you'll be doing it regardless if anybody's watching, and these are the kinds of people he's looking for. You'll be doing it whether or not people like it, and eventually you'll be doing it for others, and then he'd hired you because you love what you do. Same thing here. If you believe in yourself enough to post videos and stand behind what you know, just keep plugging away and never turn down opportunities because you never know where your next opportunity is going to come from. I've done auditions and didn't get the job I was there for, but someone else there saw me and contacted me about another project instead. So always putting your best face forward, no matter where you are.

There's a famous story of The Police: when they went to #1 in England for "Roxanne", they played to 17 people in Virginia who didn't know who they were! They put on the same show, and actually got friendly with the 17 people there, and one who was a radio DJ, was so impressed, he started playing their music on his radio show the next day. Imagine if they pulled an attitude and cancelled? Or didn't care?

ottog1979

It's less about finding drum positions for me (never had much problem finding playing time with others) than about finding good musicians for slots in a band that I'm in. The other side of the coin.

There's nothing like the old fashioned way, getting out and listening to bands and talking to musicians. But that can be hard to do when you're playing out yourself frequently.

mikyok

Platinum Member
There's nothing like the old fashioned way, getting out and listening to bands and talking to musicians. But that can be hard to do when you're playing out yourself frequently.
Definitely, I'm finding things are beginnning to come full circle but very slowly, it's nice to rediscover the social side of music again.

Jam nights are always a good way too, online is flooded with all kinds of crap and sorting the wheat from the chaff is impossible with the amount of turd polishing you can do on audio and video.

You'll find the try hards at these things but you'll also meet like minded players who are just there for a couple of beers and to let their hair down from their regular gigs.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Ask other musicians in your area if they know somebody. Make it clear that you are not trying to take them from their band, but that you are looking for a referral.