Connecting iPhone via usb to rec n share using EAD10

Lawce

Evening all. Sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong place. I’m trying to record using the Yamaha EAD10 via the rec n share app. All is going well until I press record, then I’m getting a message saying please connect device to a Yamaha product!! I’m actually connected to the EAD10 via usb cable and a lightning jack but it doesn’t seem to be finding it. iPhone 7. Any ideas how to fix? Thanks in advance

My understand was that it required the apple camera connection kit. Was that incorrect?

Example:

My understand was that it required the apple camera connection kit. Was that incorrect?

Example:
Yes mate that’s what I meant. I’ve done that but the app is just saying please connect a device to a Yamaha product. It’s bloody annoying lol

You will need the genuine Apple camera connector. it's the only one I found that has the speed and power to work properly.

This is what I've found to be true - I got the genuine apple part and have had no problems at all.

Yes mate that’s what I meant. I’ve done that but the app is just saying please connect a device to a Yamaha product. It’s bloody annoying lol

I just want to make certain I am double sure and crystal clear..

You have the Apple "Camera Adapter"? The one linked above that you bought online from the Apple website or at a physical Apple store?

Please understand that there's pretty much only one model of adapter in existence that works at the moment, and that incompatible adapters will cause exactly the symptoms you are experiencing.

Last edited:
I just want to make certain I am double sure and crystal clear..

You have the Apple "Camera Adapter"? The one linked above that you bought online from the Apple website or at a physical Apple store?

Please understand that there's pretty much only one model of adapter in existence that works at the moment, and that incompatible adapters will cause exactly the symptoms you are experiencing.
I haven’t got the genuine apple adapter, it’s an aftermarket thingeymebob. I’ll have to get the genuine one by the looks of it. Cheers bud

I haven’t got the genuine apple adapter, it’s an aftermarket thingeymebob. I’ll have to get the genuine one by the looks of it. Cheers bud

Excellent.

The crux of it is:

A lightning to USB cable is for outputting stuff from your iPhone (plugging it into a stereo and outputting sound)
A lightning to USB camera adapter is for inputting stuff into the iPhone.

There's a difference between which side is negotiated as Host/Master.

Excellent.

The crux of it is:

A lightning to USB cable is for outputting stuff from your iPhone (plugging it into a stereo and outputting sound)
A lightning to USB camera adapter is for inputting stuff into the iPhone.

There's a difference between which side is negotiated as Host/Master.
It’s a bit of a ball ache. But I guess that’s why Apple rule the market

Hi

I'm jumping in very late to this thread but maybe someone can help me. I bought an EAD10 just before Christmas and I cannot get it to recognise my iphone 8. Everytime I press 'record' I get that same message referred to above 'please connect to an appropriate Yamaha digital musical instrument.....'. I am using a proper Apple lightning to USB camera adapter too. So, I really don't know what could be the issue. Is it perhaps the USB to 3.5mm plug cable that needs also to be genuine Apple product also?? (this is the one from the Lightning to USB camera adapter to the 'aux in' at the back of the EAD10 unit itself). I'm losing the will to live with this thing and close to putting it back in the box and returning it. So, any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

To add.

This one works too.

This was all I needed to get the app working.

(although exporting a pirce prooved to be finnicky at best).

Thanks for that suggestion, but I don't see why the Apple lightning to USB camera adapter that I just bought won't work. In the photo is the current cable arrangement I have. The Apple lighting to USB camera adapter plugs into my phone (iphone 8) and the 3.5mm jack (the black cable) goes into the 'Aux in' at the back of the EAD10 unit. Apart from the specific type of Apple lighting to USB camera adapter, is yours the same?

Thanks again :)

Attachments

• EAD.jpg
    EAD.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 5
You’ll Have to use the USB to USB cable to connect to the EAD, as it will also control the EAD to some extent. Your current setup won’t work and has no way of controlling the unit. You’ll also need to connect your charger and cable to the other port to have enough power to make the connection function.

1609427994108.png
1609428048946.jpeg
The host can be your phone or laptop which will effectively work as your DAW to play the click, music and record.

Last edited:
I use both To Host port and Aux In. Ipad connected TO HOST and phone connected to Aux In. Depending on what I'm doing I'll use one or the other. As others have said RecNShare only works with the TO HOST port.

Glad you got it working!

Hi

I’m having similar problems to everyone else. I have an old iPhone 6s (I’ve checked and its got the correct system requirements to use with the app and module) and have recently bought the ead10. I’ve bought the correct cables being the usb a to b (printer cable) and the Apple lightning to usb camera adapter as per the connection manual on the Yamaha website.

I’ve plugged the cables into my phone and the ‘usb to host’ port on the module with it switched off and then switched it on like the manual says to do, and it doesn’t work. I’ve tried having the app open before switching the module on, and also opening the app after, and I’ve also tried doing both ways with my phone in airplane mode.

I’ve also tried using my girlfriends iPhone 12, as I thought maybe my phone is just too old, but that didn’t work either.

Can anyone see what I’m doing wrong? I feel like I’m missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance

I have a similar problem. I have been using the EAD10 and rec n share with Iphone 11 and its been working fine. But for some reason I now get the "pls connect to a Yamaha product" almost everytime I try to record with video. I am able to recored without video though. I thought the usb chord might be the issue so I bought a new one but the problem is still there. I wish I knew how to resolve this :(

Hi I'm facing a similar issues with my Yamaha E Drum while connecting with iphone 7. I'm using the USB to host cable as mentioned in the guide, although the lightning camera adapter is not a genuine apple product. Can someone confirm if this issue can be fixed using a genuine apple product.
The rec n share app also mentions this on the app store, which is seperate issue, although they have mentioned that the app works once you reboot the phone
"Apps may not detect instruments via USB in iOS/iPadOS 15 until the Apple device is rebooted. As of Oct 27, 2021, we are working with Apple to address this"

Someone please suggest if a genuine apple camera adapter, the cure for this headache ?

My app just started doing the same thing- "not connected to device etc" frustrating! deleted and reloaded app, also did factory reset on EAD to no avail

I have a similar problem. I have been using the EAD10 and rec n share with Iphone 11 and its been working fine. But for some reason I now get the "pls connect to a Yamaha product" almost everytime I try to record with video. I am able to recored without video though. I thought the usb chord might be the issue so I bought a new one but the problem is still there. I wish I knew how to resolve this :(
I replaced the camera adapter and reinstalled rec n share but not much changed unfortunately. It looks like the rec n share app has been updated to version 2.0.1 and it now brings up a new connection window whenever the app connects to the ead10. It also shows a green light when the connection has been established. But the problem is still there. It seems that when I restart my Iphone it connects easier to the app. But I am rarely able to record video. I also notice that when I had a stable connection and was ready to record a video, if I turned the phone to landscape, the connection always got lost. I dont get this since there was never any issues in the beginning and I have been able to record without any issues. I dont understand what has changed.

Back