Connect SDP-SX with Roland PM-16

kaio

Hello everybody.
I have a fully functional Roland PM-16 and I wanted to know if somehow you can connect to my SPD SX to increase the number of pads ... what do you say?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I have one of those, too!

You certainly could connect them, although I don't know how elegantly they would work together with the technology being 30 years apart! That is, there might be newer MIDI protocols that cause latency with older devices. Also, the PM-16 might have limited compatibility with newer pads, causing dynamic and volume issues. Also, that unit is pretty big. Unless you really need 16 additional pads, you might consider a newer, more compact pad-to-midi box.

Bermuda

kaio

Thank you so much for the answers.
Because I read so many discussions about how to connect more pads than the 4 that you can connect on the SPD SX, and I never found anyone who could connect more. Certainly I do not need 16 more pads, 2 would be enough, but since I have a PM 16 I wanted to understand if it could be used, even with pad "homemade".
Can you recommend a machine similar to the PM 16 but more modern and perhaps with the possibility of connecting a hit hat pedal? (it seems to me that PM 16 does not have this possibility right?)
In case how do I connect it? Just connect the midi cables?
Sorry but I'm not a super expert on links!
Another small note ... I have the SPD SX for a few days, I noticed that the 3 pads above are much less sensitive than the other 6 ... I read in other discussions that it is normal, but the difference is not little ... from the videos that I see on youtube it doesn't seem to me that there is all this difference like on my car ... maybe it's just my paranoia, but since I still have time to send it back to the seller I would like to understand if it is really so or not. Do you also have a lot of difference with these pads?
I didn't want to go off topic with this other question, but this is one of the reasons why I would like to link other more sensitive pads.
Sorry for my English, I'm writing with the help of google translator ... I'm Italian.

kaio

I forgot to say that I have already tried all the possible combinations of sensitivity with the SPD SX, the situation has improved a little but really little. Let's say that my old homemade pads that I used with my PM 16 are much more sensitive in comparison.

electrodrummer

Hello everybody.
I have a fully functional Roland PM-16 and I wanted to know if somehow you can connect to my SPD SX to increase the number of pads ... what do you say?
Yes. No problems.

pads --> PM16 --> standard $2 MIDI cable --> SPDsx.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Can you recommend a machine similar to the PM 16 but more modern and perhaps with the possibility of connecting a hit hat pedal? (it seems to me that PM 16 does not have this possibility right?)
In case how do I connect it? Just connect the midi cables?
Several years ago I had a Roland TMC-6 (https://www.roland.com/us/products/tmc-6/) to expand my V-drums, and it was really nice. They're discontinued now, but maybe you can find a used one. It accepts Roland's old HH pedal, but I don't know how it will react with a newer pedal. I don't think the PM-16 will accept a HH pedal.

Connection with the SPD-SX is easy with a MIDI cable.

Another small note ... I have the SPD SX for a few days, I noticed that the 3 pads above are much less sensitive than the other 6
Those top pads are definitely less sensitive and need to be hit harder, so they're not very good for dynamics. Samples like handclaps, crash cymbal, tambourine, etc. work well on them.

Bermuda