Confidence & opportunity

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
Over the years of playing, I've learned a lot about how confidence in yourself will breed opportunities you would've passed up before.
It's lead me to the question: If you were given a once in a lifetime opportunity to play on a tour for your favorite band, would you jump at the chance even if you knew you probably won't be good enough?

I for one would because I feel it's better to try & fail, than live with the "what if...?" of never having tried.

I wouldn't tour at all at this stage of life, not while my son is still a minor. I firmly believe, in response to sociological data and my own observations, that boys need ever-present, responsible male figures to help them develop into men themselves. Gigging/recording locally will be my goal for the foreseeable future. Beyond that, I'll probably be too old to want to travel extensively for gigs. The homestead becomes more attractive with each day that passes.

On the confidence question, a lot can open up when you throw yourself into the fire. My wife and I have relocated several times over the course of our marriage (twenty-one years), and I've had to acquaint myself with new markets in each instance. I've gotten session opportunities from unknown engineers by establishing contact, introducing myself, and submitting previous recordings. Depending on the studio's needs, sometimes you get calls; other times, you don't. Nevertheless, not much occurs if you sit around hoping someone will find you. Making an effort is a lot more productive than wishing.

Last edited:
I'd do it for sure, great players can lift & enable you. You might fit in like never before, play better than before because you've found players you fit with. All we have to offer is OUR way of playing, find out what that means.
"Do what you know and don't be slow" Jimi Hendrix
"He who hesitates, ...craps" me
I do believe confidence comes not from bravado but, is earned through experience and preparing. However, deciding to take risks, when presented in the moment, is a decision every time.

I'd practice my ass off so I didn't fail and there would probably come more opportunities from it, so saying no wouldn't make sense.

Why would they offer you the chance if they didn't believe in you?

I would do it in a second...it wouldn't even have to be my favorite band, but it would have to be in a genre I like. Even if it was an up and coming band, I would love to experience legit touring and playing. I think i was getting close 20 years ago, but that fell away...so I still have that desire

I wouldn't tour at all at this stage of life, not while my son is still a minor. I firmly believe, in response to sociological data and my own observations, that boys need ever-present, responsible male figures to help them develop into men themselves. The homestead becomes more attractive with each day that passes.
Amen to that. I didn't tour for this very reason even though I could've back when he was young. Now that he's grown & married, I now care for my elderly father. Touring just wasn't in my cards I guess.

Why would they offer you the chance if they didn't believe in you?
They may have, but do you believe in YOU enough to take their offer?

I’m in the domestically challenged camp too in that I need to be around to see my lad through his school years. As such, if an opportunity arose during this time in spite of me not putting myself out there, I would have to respectfully decline. Nothing, no band, gig, or self gratifying musical experience comes before my son’s welfare. Having said all that, if I didn’t have my domestic responsibilities I would absolutely go for it!!! :D (y)

I'd give it a go as long as the band was cool with me just keeping it simple and steady. I wouldn't be able to nail all the fancy chops, but I could probably hold the songs together on a basic level.

If you were given a once in a lifetime opportunity to play on a tour for your favorite band, would you jump at the chance even if you knew you probably won't be good enough?

I have a very good sense about what I can and can't do, so I would never accept an offer to play or audition with a band I'm not suited to.

That said, there are many bands/artists in which I'd fit well, so if one them asked, then yes!

I wouldn't tour at all at this stage of life, not while my son is still a minor. I firmly believe, in response to sociological data and my own observations, that boys need ever-present, responsible male figures to help them develop into men themselves. Gigging/recording locally will be my goal for the foreseeable future. Beyond that, I'll probably be too old to want to travel extensively for gigs. The homestead becomes more attractive with each day that passes.

On the confidence question, a lot can open up when you throw yourself into the fire. My wife and I have relocated several times over the course of our marriage (twenty-one years), and I've had to acquaint myself with new markets in each instance. I've gotten studio opportunities from unknown engineers by establishing contact, introducing myself, and submitting previous recordings. Depending on the studio's needs, sometimes you get calls; other times, you don't. Nevertheless, not much occurs if you sit around hoping someone will find you. Making an effort is a lot more productive than wishing.
This is the way. Parental responsibilities trump everything else. That said, lots of money to be made in some cities doing sessions, giving lessons, and playing nearby gigs.

I have a very good sense about what I can and can't do, so I would never accept an offer to play or audition with a band I'm not suited to.

That said, there are many bands/artists in which I'd fit well, so if one them asked, then yes!
I think for me being the hired gun/bar basher that I am, I'd try about anything short of speed metal if given the opportunity. Even if I got 10 seconds into the audition & the voiced yelled, "Thanks, we'll call you", I'd be happy to have tried.
This confidence (or stupidity) in my abilities is something I didn't have 10 years ago.

Maybe it has something to do with age. At 51, I just care so little about what others think of me that I'd hop on stage & do what I could no matter the outcome and look like I'm having the time of my life doing it.
I've learned that level of enthusiasm can be infectious enough to have the rest of the band like you enough to stick it out.
Like what Rob Zombie said about when you replace a guy on tour. You might replace them with a better musician, but the chemistry is gone.

I'd do it. I'd practice hard so I could do a good job. But somehow I feel that I wouldn't like those musicians once I got to know them. And that would ruin the gig for me.

This is odd..i may not want the gig but I'd audition anyway giving it my all. The fact that I may not want the gig fervently sends something into the universe and I get the gig. I call home and say f---!..i accidentally got the damn gig!..what do I say?

Back