conclusion to my "sub" story

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A while back I posted about needing a sub for the first time, here's what happened. I don't know how many times they rehearsed this guy, but he was supposed to do 3 gigs, 2 over the holidays (when I was away) and 1 before that (prior commitments).

Well the very first gig got cancelled because the bar owner is really cool but completely scatterbrained when it comes to booking bands. So that was a bust for the guy.

The 2nd gig, they got snowed out, we had like the biggest storm in a while that day haha, so he was fogged there if you know what I mean (IYKWIM?)

The third gig...he got to play....at this private athletic club (that is frequented by people who aren't the least bit athletic looking)

This is probably my least favorite gig I do, and this night there were maybe 6 guys, sitting at the bar, not giving a crap if there was a band or not (from what I'm told)

This is how the John, the bass player (and the head dude in the band more or less) described it:

"Aww the guy is from a jazz background, and he couldn't keep a good groove going for &$%@. Everytime Tommy (the sax player) took a solo, he was playing all this wacky stuff...I had to play quarter notes all night."

John has this thing where he says, "somebody always has to stay home. If I'm playing busier, you gotta keep it straight, and vice versa". (Of course this actually translates to, the drums "stay home" like 99% of the time ha ha)

And he's right, it does work well that way. But he had to "stay home" all night, that night. Johnny don't like dat.

And that's all that was said.

At the next rehearsal, I felt safe....and secure ha ha.

Score one for the groove!

W

wy yung

"Aww the guy is from a jazz background, and he couldn't keep a good groove going for &$%@. Everytime Tommy (the sax player) took a solo, he was playing all this wacky stuff...I had to play quarter notes all night."

At the next rehearsal, I felt safe....and secure ha ha.

Score one for the groove!
Well well well. It seems he could not sacrifice his ego for the good of the whole. I hope some of the younger guys on the MB thread read this.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Nice one Wy. To the lucky few the message comes early, to most later on, and to the unfortunate ones, never.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Well well well. It seems he could not sacrifice his ego for the good of the whole. I hope some of the younger guys on the MB thread read this.
What I don't understand is just because the guy has a jazz background, it wasn't a jazz band he was playing in on that night. His bad for not playing appropriately. I have a rock background. That doesn't mean I'm putting a rock beat to a new orleans tune.