Completed my Big R Rogers kit!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It's a nice Christmas - I haven't just been paying attention to the new Ludwig kit - my Rogers kit got some love as well. I just found another 16x16 shell in the Koa wrap to replace the one that came with the kit as the wrap was cracked in a few places, in addition to the seam lifting. The new shell looks identical, even has the same size seam lift, but there are no cracks in the finish. So that drum is in good shape.

I also managed to find a used 5x14 steel PowerTone snare with the Rogers script logo. Pretty good price for it - $140. It looks in excellent shape, the only issue is that the original owner replaced the Rogers strainer with a Ludwig P-83 strainer and that's fine with me. I can deal with replacing lugs if I had to, but strainers, I'm a little loathe to have to deal with parts you can no longer find replacements for. So I'd probably replace the P-83 with a P-85 when that one breaks ;) I also found extra 1" tom arms for the bass drum tom mount should the ones I have break.

So the Rogers kit is ready for some serious gigging - it will most likely live at one of the schools I play with so I only need to show up with cymbals and sticks to make a rehearsal. At my age, if I don't have to haul a kit out of the house every time I'm needed, I won't ;) This coming year with the all of the kids just got alot easier.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Without pictures to serve as proof this thread is little more than the unfounded claims of a serial gear-flipper.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Without pictures to serve as proof this thread is little more than the unfounded claims of a serial gear-flipper.
You will have to wait until after Christmas and take my word for it. I, for one, will be happy with a kit living at one of the high schools when we rev up for the spring. It is a major PITA to haul the entire kit for a hour-long rehearsal or sectional. And although I've flipped many a drum, my hardware pile gives me almost three complete sets of hardware. So whichever school this kit lives at, it will be complete down to the throne. I just show up looking cool with my cymbals and sticks.

So take that!

So it's brass, eh? I think the seller could've asked for more, but he probably really feels like its not original without the right strainer, oh well ;)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Bo..like John said,the powertone is a brass shell,and basicly,a Dyna Sonic,without the snare frame/strainer.Still a great sounding drum.Rogers really knew how to build em',back then.

Steve B

braincramp

Gold Member
Bo..like John said,the powertone is a brass shell,and basicly,a Dyna Sonic,without the snare frame/strainer.Still a great sounding drum.Rogers really knew how to build em',back then.

Steve B
The powertone has 8 lugs though,.. I'm pretty sure..always thought of Rogers Powertone/Dynasonic as Acrolite/ Supra in brass instead of aluminum. The samples I heard on youtube make me prefer the Powertone over the Dyna...and yes it is a very nice Christmas! Conrats on finishing up the set..

73Rogers

Bo -
It's not "finished" until you get rid of that Ludwig strainer! :)

There are plenty of Rogers strainers out there. Hopefully the previous owner didn't drill new holes for it.