Comping using hi hat

Abhishek_K

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting into jazz drumming and have started working on some jazz standards. I started playing through this version of Blue Monk and was blown away by Art Blakey's playing, especially him comping using the hi hat. I've mostly been working on hi hat on 2 and 4 but this sounded really musical to me. Any ideas on how I can approach it or build the independence?

As an aside, any links to the a solo transcription that he plays at the end?

Thanks!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I love that record. I think it's actually Max Roach on that track. You can hear that not all the hihat stuff is not fully worked out-- it's a little rough.

I would start with single 8th notes-- from whatever book you use for your snare drum comping rhythms. And quarter note triplets, starting on 1 and on 2. If you have Jack Dejohnette's book, there's a whole lot of stuff.

Independence is the same as anything else-- know what the combined rhythm of the cymbal beat + comping rhythm is supposed to be, and make sure you're playing it accurately. You might also start by playing the hihat rhythm with both feet in unison-- bass drum and hihat together. Splashing the hihat, and playing it as a short sound.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
I love that record. I think it's actually Max Roach on that track. You can hear that not all the hihat stuff is not fully worked out-- it's a little rough.
It is definetely Art Blakey, there are several of his liks here, and I agree that this track is "a little rough", hahah.

Yes Blakey was one the first who used some hihat independence, but was Roy Haynes who opened up really the thing, follow by Elvin, Tony and Jack Dejohnette who took it to the limit.

To develop this the same as to develop the rest, lot of study and transcribe the liks to be familiar with the languaje and what is efective to start.

Having a drum teacher well versed in this music and players is a must if you intend to arrive fast (shortcut), or else hardly get to master this...

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Yeah, it's weird, it's played with this janky Max-type touch. I see somebody has put the actual track credits on wikipedia-- my record just says drums: Art Blakey, Max Roach.