Comparative use of forums.

Griffman

I've recently noticed that at any given time the traffic on the equipment forum is almost 80% higher than the technique forum. I'm sort of surprised. Are we that much more interested in stuff over skills?

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I've recently noticed that at any given time the traffic on the equipment forum is almost 80% higher than the technique forum. I'm sort of surprised. Are we that much more interested in stuff over skills?
In a word, Yes. It's much easier to acquire stuff than it is to acquire skill.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
This has been discussed numerous times.

It comes down this forum (like most) is all in plain text.

It's tough to discuss technique in plain text. It's tough to explain how to play something in plain text. If we were all in the same room it would be easier to discuss such topics because we could show one another what we were talking about. Most conversations about technique in person involve someone showing someone examples, saying something like "watch my finger" of "see how the ankle moves" and other such stuff that just DOES NOT come across in a typed message.

But since we're not all in the same room, this is difficult.

And the other aspect is technique is something best discussed with a teacher. Many posters here teach. One person who used to post a lot on here told me in private they get paid to discuss these things with their students, so why should they post about it on this site for free? I don't necessary agree with them, but I respect their position. And most "How do I play that?" questions can be answered better by a any of of a number of the fine instructional DVDs than a typed message.

On the other hand, it's easy to discuss gear in plain text.

So it's natural topics that are easy to discuss in text get more attention than topics that are difficult to discuss in text.

I can show someone how to do a double stroke roll in person? Yes
But could I explain it in text? Not really.
Can I discuss in text the difference between various drum kits? Sure.
So I have way more posts in the gear section.

It's just easy to talk about gear online.

Gear, there are no instructional videos discussing the differences between a vast majority of gear. There are so many choices, and so many parts that go into a drum kit, and so many people have more than one kit/snare/cymbal/whatever, it's just easier to get into long discussions about.

This forum has everyone from absolute beginners to touring pros. We are all drummers here, no one is here to one up anyone up or judge. And besides, lots of hobbyists are here to have fun, not be the worlds greatest drummer.

See previous discussion about this:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117233

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62368

Griffman

This has been discussed numerous times.

It comes down this forum (like most) is all in plain text.

It's tough to discuss technique in plain text. It's tough to explain how to play something in plain text. If we were all in the same room it would be easier to discuss such topics because we could show one another what we were talking about. Most conversations about technique in person involve someone showing someone examples, saying something like "watch my finger" of "see how the ankle moves" and other such stuff that just DOES NOT come across in a typed message.

But since we're not all in the same room, this is difficult.

And the other aspect is technique is something best discussed with a teacher. Many posters here teach. One person who used to post a lot on here told me in private they get paid to discuss these things with their students, so why should they post about it on this site for free? I don't necessary agree with them, but I respect their position. And most "How do I play that?" questions can be answered better by a any of of a number of the fine instructional DVDs than a typed message.

On the other hand, it's easy to discuss gear in plain text.

So it's natural topics that are easy to discuss in text get more attention than topics that are difficult to discuss in text.

I can show someone how to do a double stroke roll in person? Yes
But could I explain it in text? Not really.
Can I discuss in text the difference between various drum kits? Sure.
So I have way more posts in the gear section.

It's just easy to talk about gear online.

Gear, there are no instructional videos discussing the differences between a vast majority of gear. There are so many choices, and so many parts that go into a drum kit, and so many people have more than one kit/snare/cymbal/whatever, it's just easier to get into long discussions about.

This forum has everyone from absolute beginners to touring pros. We are all drummers here, no one is here to one up anyone up or judge. And besides, lots of hobbyists are here to have fun, not be the worlds greatest drummer.

See previous discussion about this:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117233

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62368
Excellent points I had not considered. Thanks for the education DrumEatDrum. Though I have a suspicion that somewhere in their heart every drummer wants or at least once wanted to be the world's greatest drummer as if such a title exited. I wanted that when I started playing and the kid inside still wants that as silly as it is. Of course we want to be the king of drumming... Otherwise we would have drum stools or drum chairs instead of aThrone.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
There is enough to discuss in the technique section which is easy enough to discuss arrangements, songs, solos etc. Only the basic techniques are difficult to describe and by this time there are plenty of videos. Perhaps another hypothesis is that the bulk of the posters are viral salesmen directly associated with mfers or musical instrument chains.