Companies that made drums and/or hardware for other companies, now doing it under their own name

timmdrum

Gold Member
Taye, Sakae, Peace, I think Dixon also... any I'm leaving out? I think it's odd that so many companies decided to produce under their own brand name after so many years as a supplier, and seemingly right around the same time 10-15 years ago, it seems. Are there any others I'm leaving out? Anyone have inside info as to the reason for the trend?

Last edited:
Allegra in Oregon has been making ddrums (USA lines) while also offering their own brand.

I didn’t realize Sakae was always a separate company from Yamaha. Now it makes me wonder how many other of their musical instruments they have farmed out, and what parts of them have always been made elsewhere.

Craviotto built solid shell snare drums for DW during the 1990's before becoming an independent company.

If I'm not mistaken, Roc N Soc drum thrones used to order their drum bases from Gibraltar, but now they make their own.

Most of the hardware (Dixon, Peace) came and comes from Reliance in Taiwan.

Most of the big brands including DW, Gibraltar, and more are getting their hardware from them now too.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the drum companies and hardware retailers get their hardware from them.

I didn’t realize Sakae was always a separate company from Yamaha. Now it makes me wonder how many other of their musical instruments they have farmed out, and what parts of them have always been made elsewhere.
I could be wrong but I think Sakae made shells for Yamaha exclusively and no one else. So they were kind of like a part of the Yamaha company even though they were separately owned.

Most of the hardware (Dixon, Peace) came and comes from Reliance in Taiwan.

Most of the big brands including DW, Gibraltar, and more are getting their hardware from them now too.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the drum companies and hardware retailers get their hardware from them.
Well I do know this, my pork pie tripod says it was made in Taiwan. And it's some heavy-duty stuff.

Pearl and Tama both made kits imported to the US under many different brand names in the 1960's. I'm not sure when they phased this out.

Unix Drums made/Make the Mono ply snare shells for Dunnett as an OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacturer)

Black Swamp makes solid shells for a number of Manufacturers as an OEM.

I could be wrong but I think Sakae made shells for Yamaha exclusively and no one else. So they were kind of like a part of the Yamaha company even though they were separately owned.
yeah the former sakae company made shells for yamaha since 1967, then when the father died the son thought they could do it on their own, but the company folded with debts of over 700 million yen. the current sakae company is related in name only to the one that made shells for yamaha and under the sakae name previously.

yeah the former sakae company made shells for yamaha since 1967, then when the father died the son thought they could do it on their own, but the company folded with debts of over 700 million yen. the current sakae company is related in name only to the one that made shells for yamaha and under the sakae name previously.
I may be wrong, but if my souvenirs are correct Sakae decided to continue building drums under their name simply because Yamaha decided to move their entire production to China! But I may be wrong ...

It was Sakae's choice. And unfortunately, they didn't make it in this harsh sales era.

The name is revived but without the machinery of Yamaha that they were given.
and from a few sources in the know, the current line of sakae drums isnt related to the sakae that did yamaha & their own brand kits, its related purely by name only

What should they do? Yamaha left them, so there were only three possibilities: close the shop, sell it or try to survive continuing producing drums.
Sakae history

I presume you meant, continuing producing drums under their own brand, as they did, and are doing again...? If so:

4. Find a contract with another brand, as they had with Yamaha.

When it comes to hardware a name stamp doesn't really mean much. No matter what business you are in things are outsourced. There are some idealists, but in general, especially for the big companies when it makes such a big difference, it's just about what makes the most economical sense. International politics can change those things quie rapidly and dramatically.

As it is, I think the music instrument business has changd a lot. Although classic brands are known and have a legacy they don't have the hold they used to. For those who care though, looking traditional and having one brand across the board is sort of a thing.

For us as consumers it's an interesting time because we no have all the modern stuff that's close to getting really good, but at the same time brands like Gretsch and Ludwig are stepping back up and brands like Rogers and Slingerland are coming back. DW have only been of help at Gretsch and I'm sure they'll respect the name enough to do the Slingys right, too. Ron Dunnett is making amazing stuff under the G.Way brand...etc..

If you have an artist endorsing your drums, wouldn't it be nice having them promoting your hardware as well?

I don't know any brand who that does it all, though.

I guess we get back into those snare threads, but there sure are people who want everything to be from their brand. There are Fender, Gibson and Martin people like that. Definetly Mercedes and BMW people like that. I know a guy with Mercedes curtains at his house. It's not a working pro thing usually, it's a hobbyist with too much money thing, but in the end they also probably represent a bigger part of the market than the working pro.

If you're a jazzer sacrificing himself/herself for the music, you're probably lucky to afford anything at all.

Back