Comfortable/ergonomic throne on a budget?

MaxwellMiky

I am getting out of an injury and just realized that I need to change my throne because the one that I have irritate for my back.
I just need something that is comfortable enough to play without back problems. Worth to mention that I am a very small person (5ft or 1.5 m), so it should be able to sit low. Any recommendations? I'm on a budget so I'm looking for low/middle end hardware.
Thank you :D

Last edited by a moderator:

wraub

Also on a low budget, I picked up an almost new Roc N Soc throne from a guitarist who (reportedly) used it for a minute, it was in almost new condition and I got a great price.

Maybe look at Guitar Center, I've seen used thrones there and the prices are usually good. Returns are easy, too. Just have it shipped to your local store. ;)

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I started getting a backache during the fourth hour of four hour gigs. I have an Orange County Throne. I purchased a separate clamp-on Gibraltar backrest. It has helped my back pain a great deal. Between songs and during some songs I rest my back on the backrest.

14427573_8.jpg

1125346_8868_popup.jpg

pocket player

I am getting out of an injury and just realized that I need to change my throne because the one that I have irritate for my back.
I just need something that is comfortable enough to play without back problems. Worth to mention that I am a very small person (5ft or 1.5 m), so it should be able to sit low. Any recommendations? I'm on a budget so I'm looking for low/middle end hardware.
Thank you :D
Just my advise ,dont be on a budget when it comes to your back. Get the best throne you can. i feel when you sit down on your drum throne it sets the whole tone of how you feel and play. Good luck

Fritz Frigursson

question for people who use backrests on thrones, do they actually work, because i really don’t see the use. i think it’s as useful as a fitness bike having arm support and a backrest, but maybe that’s just me

Frank

Gold Member
For one on a budget that is actually comfortable, I bought this 3 years ago:

PDP By DW Drum Throne​

I find it very comfortable. A backrest would be ideal for some, but, I still haven't invested in that.

single-ply

question for people who use backrests on thrones, do they actually work, because i really don’t see the use. i think it’s as useful as a fitness bike having arm support and a backrest, but maybe that’s just me
I agree with you. I picked up a used back rest to go with my Rock n Sock, but I tend to lean a little forward or just sit up straight. I found it just gets in my way and took it off.

Anyone need one? I'll sell mine cheap!

Fritz Frigursson

I agree with you. I picked up a used back rest to go with my Rock n Sock, but I tend to lean a little forward or just sit up straight. I found it just gets in my way and took it off.

Anyone need one? I'll sell mine cheap!
yeah, i move around too much to use a backrest. i don’t think drumming is a non physical activity, so having a comfy chair to lay back in seems counterintuitive.

DrumWhipper

I absolutely love my Roc N Soc throne.

mrfingers

If you don’t need to pack for a gig, yet, find a chair or maybe a used draftsman stool. Put a pillow on it....

EssKayKay

Love my Roc-N-Soc WITH the backrest - wouldn't be without it but no gigging any more so that plays into the mix.

NickSchles

I could suggest several things, but I can tell you that your budget will further if you buy second hand / pre-loved. See what's out there and compare your options. Also, go with a 3-legged base rather than 4... If the floor isn't fully level, a 4-legged base will be wonky! :p

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've not played on anything more comfortable than a Pork Pie Big Boy drum throne with a Roc-n-Soc backrest I installed myself. I'm sure that Roc-N-Soc thrones are just as good.

Don't skimp on a good throne.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Whatever you get, make sure there’s plenty of surface area to sit on. The smaller the seat, the less comfortable it is, especially when it’s a long gig/practice session.

And that’s another point: a more comfortable throne will give you more time at the kit for practice. A lousy throne will deter long sessions.

I had a Gibraltar throne for about 10 years, similar to the current 9608M model. The locking clamp that grabs the main screw post cracked three times on me. Each time I brought it into my local drum shop (now gone) and they replaced the entire throne because of Gibraltar’s warranty. They thought I was abusing it, but after the third replacement, it never broke again. I ended up giving it to a drummer who was far better than I because his throne was one of those small, painful no-padding torture seats.

We know you have a budget, but like @PorkPieGuy says, don’t skimp. You’ll regret it, then end up buying another one later.