Come on, Guitar Center...

TK-421

I know you're probably understaffed and underpaid, and drum department personnel have to babysit unruly drummers all day long, so the last thing you want to do is place an ad for the used gear you just bought. But come on Guitar Center, IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE CYMBAL!!!

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.33.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.41.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.43.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.52.07 AM.png

18X6???
Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.56.27 AM.png

Admittedly, this one doesn't say what it is on the cymbal, but I would bet every piece of gear I own that this mystery cymbal is NOT an 18" splash!
Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 8.59.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-18 at 9.22.55 AM.png

Close, but still no cigar.
Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 9.24.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-18 at 9.27.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-18 at 9.36.33 AM.png

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
I traded in a drum set with a 20" bass drum, and they had it listed as a 22".
I told the guy 3 or 4 times what size it was.
If he didn't believe or understand me, how hard is it to measure a bass drum?

Never trust the descriptions - always call to verify.

Superman

Gold Member
The way they run their used gear is horrendous. Things are constantly mislabeled. Additionaly, they never explain why items are listed in a certain condition. They pictures almost never show damage or give you an idea of what you are buying. You call the store and get some kid who still can't tell you what you want to know. I am done buying used items from them. I have complained several times but no one cares. Another reason why they are going bankrupt.

roncadillac

I've found some really crazy deals on gear when browsing the GC used pages simply due to... ignorance? Lack of care? Whatever you want to call it. It's not uncommon to see a good condition (meaning used but no cracks, damage, etc) K for the price of a user grade A. HOWEVER, where it ends up being not worth it (and why I've never actually purchased anything from GC used online) is they charge you for shipping and some kind of processing/handling fee for used items, if you try to get around this by picking up from a local store they charge you a store transfer fee. So when everything is said and done it ends up being basically the cost of the item new. I only buy used stuff from big box stores in person, no extra fees and I can usually haggle it even lower.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I traded in a drum set with a 20" bass drum, and they had it listed as a 22".
I told the guy 3 or 4 times what size it was.
If he didn't believe or understand me, how hard is it to measure a bass drum?

Never trust the descriptions - always call to verify.
Trouble is the drum guys never in or they don't have one at all.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Looks to me like a classic case of non-musicians being asked to do musician things.

To be fair though, if they asked me to list a bunch of LTD, ESP, and Ibanez electric guitars, I'd be just as bad.

Oh, and please don't ask the differences between this Les Paul, that Les Paul, and those Les Pauls over there.

someguy01

Platinum Member
I've found some really crazy deals on gear when browsing the GC used pages simply due to... ignorance? Lack of care? Whatever you want to call it. It's not uncommon to see a good condition (meaning used but no cracks, damage, etc) K for the price of a user grade A. HOWEVER, where it ends up being not worth it (and why I've never actually purchased anything from GC used online) is they charge you for shipping and some kind of processing/handling fee for used items, if you try to get around this by picking up from a local store they charge you a store transfer fee. So when everything is said and done it ends up being basically the cost of the item new. I only buy used stuff from big box stores in person, no extra fees and I can usually haggle it even lower.
If you get it through MF they simply charge shipping and it's more reasonable than GC even though it's the same product and the same company. It's how I acquired my Acrolite.

TK-421

Looks to me like a classic case of non-musicians being asked to do musician things.

To be fair though, if they asked me to list a bunch of LTD, ESP, and Ibanez electric guitars, I'd be just as bad.

Oh, and please don't ask the differences between this Les Paul, that Les Paul, and those Les Pauls over there.
I’m sure anyone with working eyes can distinguish between a guitar and a splash cymbal, so there’s really no excuse for that one. As for the others, like I said in my initial post, IT’S PRINTED RIGHT THERE ON THE CYMBAL!!!!

If the cymbal says 18” CHINA, there’s no need to second-guess the cymbal makers. Simply put 18” China in the ad, not 22” Ride! ;)

rhumbagirl

Which time?
This time LOL. Central!

Seriously, I want to know if I should pass on applying for a teaching/retail sales position.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Unfortunately, they plan to exit bankruptcy by the end of the year, so we're stuck with them thill the next bankruptcy on Jan 1, 2022.

roncadillac

This time LOL. Central!

Seriously, I want to know if I should pass on applying for a teaching/retail sales position.
I talked to a local GC employee who told me they bring home less then $1k a month and that is a good month with strong commission lol. I get paid like crap and make well over double that. At the time I spoke to that person I was doing my old (pre-covid) sales rep gig where I was making more then that weekly and said "yea... Hard pass."

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I talked to a local GC employee who told me they bring home less then $1k a month and that is a good month with strong commission lol. I get paid like crap and make well over double that. At the time I spoke to that person I was doing my old (pre-covid) sales rep gig where I was making more then that weekly and said "yea... Hard pass."
That cant be right. Here in AR minimum wage is $11. A GC employee with 40 hours a week grosses $440 a week. That's $1760 before tax. Even at a tax rate of 25%, that's still $1320 a month.