Color trends

Doraemon

this-graph-shows-how-car-paint-colors-have-gotten-more-boring-over-the-years

I have these memories of years when most new colors were a kind of beige and then the rise of grey. I wish there were more green. I wonder if there's anything similar happening to drums, popular trends of colors changing over time.. If so, are they getting boring, too? Are these all part of some global fashion thing, a sign of the times? White has increased even more in the last two years (to 35% of cars), maybe that's because of the pandemic, as a color of clean, or just a safe choice.

Doraemon

Gray (sp?) grey.
Gray is more frequent in American vs. grey elsewhere.. I have no idea what makes my mind choose one or the other sometimes.
I kinda feel I'm seeing more brown cars lately, compared to barely any in previous years. Some grays look fun and not boring, I like modegrau and the cactus gray of Ford.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Commuter cars are boring. Colors are for sports cars and Jeeps. My "sports car" is a beautiful metallic blue. My wife's "economy car" is metallic silver.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
this-graph-shows-how-car-paint-colors-have-gotten-more-boring-over-the-years

I have these memories of years when most new colors were a kind of beige and then the rise of grey. I wish there were more green. I wonder if there's anything similar happening to drums, popular trends of colors changing over time.. If so, are they getting boring, too? Are these all part of some global fashion thing, a sign of the times? White has increased even more in the last two years (to 35% of cars), maybe that's because of the pandemic, as a color of clean, or just a safe choice.
I must admit I have noticed the rise in dull enamel-colored cars, aesthetically I kind of like them, look it blends right into the asphalt. However, from a practical/safety standpoint I prefer high visibility cars, even if they are a bit of an eye-sore in your driveway.

For drums, they are supposed to be entertaining, unless they are like furniture, better to be flashy.

I'm not a big fan of the piano black in musical equipment. I know it's supposed to be there for the sound, but why no art there?

Doraemon

So what is the drum color equivalent of a white car, wood finish? Only found these two somewhat related articles.
I hate piano black surfaces that are just dust magnets and get full of fingerprints... I wouldn't even like it on a piano.

Tom C.

White is a tough color on drums, but the right kind of white can really look awesome. Especially under stage lights. It's like a blank canvas for the light show. Same with certain kinds of white on cars. I just bought a new Toyota Camry in a Sparkly Metallic White that looks awesome at night under street lights, or during a sunset, ect. At noon on a summer day it might look boring though. But I like the dynamic quality.

As for drums, these kinds of white finishes are pretty rare. Or they seem to be... I was trying to get a set of white Tama starclassic maples this past winter, and couldn't find one anywhere except for a store in Germany on Ebay. Didn't want to deal with shipping so I ordered a different set from Sweetwater. So I went with their molten electric blue which is a really sick looking finish. However, it doesn't have that much dynamic qualities under a light show because the colors are so deep and dark. They look awesome but they don't have that 'blank canvas' quality.

Neither do drums in piano black. So boring. And they make the drums blend into the background. Like the drummer isn't even part of the band. At the molten electric blue finish looks awesome.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
The enamel finishes brings me comfort. It reminds me of the 50 and 60's vehicles that I grew up with. I relate them to the old enameled blue speckled coffee pots. You know, the ones that wanted you to boil the crap outta the coffee with the stem and basket contraption inside.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I've noticed an increase of cement colored cars on the road lately. Gray (sp?) grey.
I’ve noticed that too. I call it Civil war gray so I don’t care for it. Just my opine

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I sure hope this gray thing goes away soon. It’s so blah.

toddmc

Gold Member
So what is the drum color equivalent of a white car, wood finish? Only found these two somewhat related articles.
I hate piano black surfaces that are just dust magnets and get full of fingerprints... I wouldn't even like it on a piano.
Couldn't agree more on the piano black- goes with everything and you can't really go wrong with it but that's what makes it boring I guess.

White, grey and silver have always been hugely popular in Oz (due to the heat I suspect) but one thing I've definitey noticed is a shift away from metallic to a glossy plastic-like finish on a lot of new cars (not sure if this is the same as the enamel finsh others have mentioned)?

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
My car is what some call over here 're-sale silver'. Exceptionally boring. Actually, it's more grey than anything given how it's not been washed in months. There's a trend for white cars at the moment that I really don't understand given how often they'll need washing given our climate. Grey cars are popular too. My Dad's car is battleship grey. Can't say I see the appeal but he didn't choose the colour, he just liked the car!

I miss colourful cars. As a kid, red cars were very popular. This trend ended around the year 2000. It was also noted by insurance companies that red cars were statistically more likely to be in a crash compared with cars of other colours so the premiums on red cars increased.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I never pick a car or drum kit with color in regard-it's everything else. No I'm not color blind. I had a silver VW wagon (I loved that vehicle) and I had a couple incidents where people didn't see me and ran me off road changing into my lane. But since I have bright red truck and the rate has jumped remarkably, I don't get it-the silver car yes, but a big red truck you're blind.