Color of Absolute Hybrid Maple Classic Walnut

Has anyone seen this color in person? I like it but wondering if it is too dark. I also like the red autumn but I googled the images and some look too pink/orange.
Your input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Drumprof

Thanks Winston.
They do come across dark in lower light rooms.
the Red Autumn would do better if your worried about that. It’s an awesome finish as well.

wildbill

Platinum Member
The red looks about as red as red gets. I haven't seen any that look orange or pinkish.

The walnut looks dark - but classy.

Your personality will decide between the two.

Drumprof

The red probably would have been my second choice. They are as Bill said, red, red haha. But very nicely done.
It seems we do need to consider how finishes will look in usually lower light rooms where we often gig.
Like Winston, I too love and always wanted a walnut finish and walnut never goes out of style.
I also tend to like darker finishes in general.

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I used to own a cherry red lacquer Mapex kit and the finish looked great up close under normal light but could look a little dull on stage unless quite a bit of light was on it.

RickP

Gold Member
I found the walnut finish to have too much red in it . In natural lit rooms it looks more like the Cherrywood finish than what I would consider walnut .

Drumprof

I agree with that. It reminded me of the recording custom cherrywood. The gloss makes the red reflect a bit more.
my favorite walnut is actually Gretsch’s walnut and I love it in satin. But Yamaha’s is not far off and again, it’s dark 1578287090188.jpeg

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Every time I see dark reds on a kit, it just fades to black whenever you get it on a stage with darker, or colored lighting (which is basically every stage). I've always made the mistake of picking a kit that looks great under normal lighting that I can appreciate, and then I get it to a gig under stage lighting and everything I liked about the look is nonexistent. This is probably why black is so popular.

Drumprof

Bo is correct. It is common but even more so with satins, the gloss does better because they’re is some reflection of color.

Drumprof

Here is the same kit but without light hitting it. You can see the light is hitting the wall behind it. They did move the light to the kit before we played but I didn’t get a pic of it. 26C1E0B6-BBDA-4F8B-823E-AED5F4324F0D.jpeg

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Classic Walnut was my least preferred color until I was offered a set at such a low price that I couldn’t resist.
Now that I have it, I absolutely love it.

IMG_20191207_174917 10pc.JPG

Last edited: