College audition mp3 (s)

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Hey, I'm planning on sending stuff away to william paterson next week. I have one tune done so far, but I want to put it up here to get feedback, tips, critique and maybe the stuff that could be left in if I have to re-do it. The one mustake that sticks out is at the end of the solo, but I'm sure you'll notice it. Unfortunately I didnt have mics, so the toms are a bit flat. Thanks, all feedback welcome....don't mind the first version....the one entitled mixdown 2 is the right one! :)

Attachments

• Mixdown.mp3
    5.2 MB · Views: 163
  • Mixdown 2.mp3
    5.5 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
1st thing that struck me was the cymbal sound, just shit hot for the piece! Love the phrasing 1:19 to 1:25. I'm grossly under qualified to help you. All I can say is that I enjoyed it very much. A great organic feel to both the sound & the playing. Ok, the toms are a bit on the dead side for the genre, but that doesn't detract from what I believe to be a confident & very musical performance. I wish you every success.

1st thing that struck me was the cymbal sound, just shit hot for the piece! Love the phrasing 1:19 to 1:25. I'm grossly under qualified to help you. All I can say is that I enjoyed it very much. A great organic feel to both the sound & the playing. Ok, the toms are a bit on the dead side for the genre, but that doesn't detract from what I believe to be a confident & very musical performance. I wish you every success.

Thank you! Its great to have some comment from a member I see around the same threads as myself! Yeah, its a 22" istanbul agop, but they're hard guys to keep under control for recordings. Thanks again my friend!

I'm not knowledgeable about jazz, but I do know what I like. I like your playing. It has a loose, unpretentious feel to it. You really approach it with an appropriate state of mind, not show offy, but understanding and accomplished. Big difference. As for the sound...I look right past any recording imperfections and instead focus on the musicianship. I think the recording quality lends a nice atmosphere to it....imperfect, which to my ear is a breath of fresh air.

Although I can't speak intelligently about what the folks at William Patterson are looking for, or the level of "competition" you have, I would not hesitate to send this along, with no apologies about not having the most perfect recording capture. If I were them I would be thinking, "This guy is on the right track already. I think he would do us proud".

The question you have to ask is, how much better are the other audition demos going to sound? Are you right in there or way behind? How would you know?

Disclaimer: I never attended any form of music school so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

I'm not knowledgeable about jazz, but I do know what I like. I like your playing. It has a loose, unpretentious feel to it. You really approach it with an appropriate state of mind, not show offy, but understanding and accomplished. Big difference. As for the sound...I look right past any recording imperfections and instead focus on the musicianship. I think the recording quality lends a nice atmosphere to it....imperfect, which to my ear is a breath of fresh air.

Although I can't speak intelligently about what the folks at William Patterson are looking for, or the level of "competition" you have, I would not hesitate to send this along, with no apologies about not having the most perfect recording capture. If I were them I would be thinking, "This guy is on the right track already. I think he would do us proud".

The question you have to ask is, how much better are the other audition demos going to sound? Are you right in there or way behind? How would you know?

Disclaimer: I never attended any form of music school so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

Those are my thoughts exactly man, hit the nail on the head. The first few attempts i did were terrible, because i was trying to play like philly joe, max roach, art blakey, because i thought thats what a school like that would want. Hell, I don't even know what level I should be at, let alone what different schools want.I don't have a clue what other people my age sound like you know. So I'm just gonna give the other two a bash my way and see. And after listening to Britts playing, well, his stuff is so...in depth, but then again, he has been there a while!

Thanks for the comment as well Larry. I think "unpretentious" is the best word to have attached to your jazz playing! :) I really take your opinion seriously, reading previous posts of yours, you seem to know whats what.

Thank you! Its great to have some comment from a member I see around the same threads as myself! Yeah, its a 22" istanbul agop, but they're hard guys to keep under control for recordings. Thanks again my friend!
No problem, my pleasure, I just hope some of the knowledgeable jazz guys chime in. I agree with Larry, it's just a bloody good piece of music! Although Larry & I (I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, anyhow, Larry's a much more rounded skill player than I am) are both basic rock/blues/funk players, we've got ears that are more experienced than our ability to play would suggest, & we both picked up on the refreshing honesty of the performance and recording capture. I think you're good to go, & there's no Blarney stone kissing in that statement, lol!

As for the cymbals, isn't it great to play instruments that require a bit of taming, rather than having some product development moron do it for you? My latest snare is a wild child, some of my cymbals are out of control before I even breathe on them, my wife's a red headed Irish girl, I like Italian sports cars & terrier dogs. Get the picture?

My latest snare is a wild child, some of my cymbals are out of control before I even breathe on them, my wife's a red headed Irish girl, I like Italian sports cars & terrier dogs. Get the picture?

hahaha, I think I get you! Just like italian sport cars, or are you lucky enough to own one? :)

hahaha, I think I get you! Just like italian sport cars, or are you lucky enough to own one? :)
I might just have one in the garage, but my point is (ref: your cymbals & things in general) I like things for their faults just as much as I like them for their strengths. It's the very stuff of character. You'd never buy an italian sports car for it's reliability. It's a purchase of the heart, not the head.

Great music Funky, great music.

I'm delighted with the feedback that the lads gave. But I would love some critique , you know this doesn't come from a bad place larry, keep it simple, but from jazz guys. Such as Stan ( haven't seen any posts from him for a while) and maybe britt. Its great knowing that you guys like it, but I would really love some tips. Hopefully I won't be rushing to send them off, so I'll have a few days, in those days I'll just do them all again and see can I do any better, so I would love some tips. And if you guys think you could help, please do! :)

I'm delighted with the feedback that the lads gave. But I would love some critique , you know this doesn't come from a bad place larry, keep it simple, but from jazz guys. Such as Stan ( haven't seen any posts from him for a while) and maybe britt. Its great knowing that you guys like it, but I would really love some tips. Hopefully I won't be rushing to send them off, so I'll have a few days, in those days I'll just do them all again and see can I do any better, so I would love some tips. And if you guys think you could help, please do! :)
Maybe send a pm to Stan & Britt. I'm sure they'd be very happy to help out. Good luck.

Sorry been on a bit of net break to focus on other {musical} stuff.....

What i'm hearing is a slight timing differential issue between the ride swing feel in the tune and the solo fills in general. You play nicely on top on the swing beat for the tune but slightly pull back when trading...give the soloing a bit of of a more of a weighed down feel to my ear. You loose the nice buoyant feel you generate during the head, on guitar and bass solos, is my take.

Is there a click on 2 and 4 during your solo? If so take it out. Let your ideas be heard flowing more over the bars. Also think of more syncopation around the kit during the solo breaks and solo to give it more forward moving "lift" on top of the beat rather than feeling heavily the top of each of the bars i'm picking up on at times. More syncopation in the mix will also give the impression of playing more on top to the ear.

Hope this helps and nice sounding ride cymbal :}

Sorry been on a bit of net break to focus on other {musical} stuff.....

What i'm hearing is a slight timing differential issue between the ride swing feel in the tune and the solo fills in general. You play nicely on top on the swing beat for the tune but slightly pull back when trading...give the soloing a bit of of a more of a weighed down feel to my ear. You loose the nice buoyant feel you generate during the head, on guitar and bass solos, is my take.

Is there a click on 2 and 4 during your solo? If so take it out. Let your ideas be heard flowing more over the bars. Also think of more syncopation around the kit during the solo breaks and solo to give it more forward moving "lift" on top of the beat rather than feeling heavily the top of each of the bars i'm picking up on at times. More syncopation in the mix will also give the impression of playing more on top to the ear.

Hope this helps and nice sounding ride cymbal :}

Thanks Stan, good advice. I do tend to stop everything when it comes to a fill, some more forward motion would be nice, I should have already thought about that. And with relation to the solo, I get you as well. Make it more of a piece than some fills meshed together trying to make them sound musical. I can accentuate the "1" a bit at times, almost signaling the end of that idea or phrase! But unfortunately I can't take out the metronome, and I really like that version of the tune. But I'll give the tune another few goes and try and make things flow a bit better. Thanks a lot, thats some very helpful advice!

Last edited:
Thanks Stan, good advice. I do tend to stop everything when it comes to a fill, some more forward motion would be nice, I should have already thought about that. And with relation to the solo, I get you as well. Make it more of a piece than some fills meshed together trying to make them sound musical. I can accentuate the "1" a bit at times, almost signaling the end of that idea or phrase! But unfortunately I can't take out the metronome, and I really like that version of the tune. But I'll give the tune another few goes and try and make things flow a bit better. Thanks a lot, thats some very helpful advice!

Glad to help.......

Just remember in a tune based {over a form} jazz setting EVERYTHING is part of the overall musical concept. Whether being in a supportive role or soloing it's all connected to the tune at hand in that type of setting.

Just being critical but things are good and good luck on your endeavors down the road!

Hello again. I re-did the track..twice. I think it has become a bit more flowing, but I'm not sure. If anyone would be kind enough to listen to the two and tell me which they think is better. They are generally the same until the solo though. Thanks! This does mean a lot.

Attachments

• Mixdown 2.mp3
    5.5 MB · Views: 100
  • Mixdown 3.mp3
    5.2 MB · Views: 98
I think the 2nd version is a wee more cohesive overall. I like the fire and adventure of your ideas on that take and the forward movement time feel on the trading and solos. Things match much up better to my ear with the overall playing as a whole during this take of the tune compared to the earlier one you posted I commented on.

Now if you could take that damn click out during the drum solo all would be gold to hear more of those flowing ideas you have going on without the irritating "clicks" throughout...just me :}

Good luck!

I think the 2nd version is a wee more cohesive overall. I like the fire and adventure of your ideas on that take and the forward movement time feel on the trading and solos. Things match much up better to my ear with the overall playing as a whole during this take of the tune compared to the earlier one you posted I commented on.

Now if you could take that damn click out during the drum solo all would be gold to hear more of those flowing ideas you have going on without the irritating "clicks" throughout...just me :}

Good luck!

Yeah, my brothers a dj/ programme nerd and he said there is no way of getting it off. Its a pitty, because I completely agree with you. If you're going to do a solo like that, you need space to do your thing. When you said to try and lose the fills that I had a light went off in my head, its like I knew it all along. Thank you Stan. I got two other tunes to get done fairly quickly, so I guess "mixdown 2" will be the one i keep, unless I have some time to try and better it in the coming days. Cheers buddy! :)

7 Steps to Heaven, i know this song VERY well haha. Did it for my final last year.

I like your fills in the head, very tasty. But i would like to hear it a little bit more up tempo like the original, could be the recording and placement of the mic but the ride can be overbearing at time but i bet thats just where the mic was.

But its sweet, sounds authentic and true to the original in feel. Its not a chops fest, its nice tasty and clever fills and thats what i heard. Nice work.

7 Steps to Heaven, i know this song VERY well haha. Did it for my final last year.

I like your fills in the head, very tasty. But i would like to hear it a little bit more up tempo like the original, could be the recording and placement of the mic but the ride can be overbearing at time but i bet thats just where the mic was.

But its sweet, sounds authentic and true to the original in feel. Its not a chops fest, its nice tasty and clever fills and thats what i heard. Nice work.

Yeah, if i was to move the mic, then the ride would sound a bit better, but then you wouldnt hear the toms or the snare! Ghetto recording tactics right there. Its the best I could have gotten sound wise I think. Glad you liked it, nice to hear that you liked the fact that it wasnt a chops fest! :)

Great job man! My jazz history is pretty thin, but I have listened to a lot of Joe Morello. Did you mix the drums higher than normal for the audition? It's a tad high for my tastes. Finally, there's a metronome click that appears midway in the song and it was a bit distracting as there were times you pulled away from it.

P.S. I liked Mixdown 3 better. If the click/mixing were required for the audition I completely understand! If you could post one without them just for my listening pleasure, I'd love it.

Thanks Ethan! I'll go back to the two of them and decide which one to use, I might have turned the drums up, not sure. I'll check that out. Unfortunately I don't have a track without a click, I was stuck with that on! Glad you enjoyed it.

There is the second of the three, thankfully no click in this one! WOuld also appreciate some comments on it. And going out on a limb, I'm pretty happy with it

( its called "risky" because I made two tracks, one fairly groovein and not too much going on, this one had a little more....umph to it so I chose this one over the other for your listening pleasure!..I hope :)

Attachments

• Night in tunisia ( risky).mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 125
Back