Hey everyone,
i just wanted to ask
who all here collect cymbals?
in my opinion,its a waste to collect cymbals
u buy cymbals so u should use them,
not collect right?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I'd say really good used cymbals hold their value pretty well. You know, if you buy them used. It's like money in the bank. Same with vintage drums if they are collectible.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I don't collect cymbals in the same way that you would collect stamps or coins or art or sports memorabilia. But I do have a collection that I couldn't possibly play all at once. They have all been played at some point and I have no doubt most of them will be played again. I don't see it as a waste at all. I see it as a collection of sounds at my disposal that I can pick and choose from depending on my mood or circustance.

ChaosDecides

I don't collect cymbals in the same way that you would collect stamps or coins or art or sports memorabilia. But I do have a collection that I couldn't possibly play all at once. They have all been played at some point and I have no doubt most of them will be played again. I don't see it as a waste at all. I see it as a collection of sounds at my disposal that I can pick and choose from depending on my mood or circustance.
+1. Having your pick from a variety of tones and sounds just opens up more musical possibilities.

ddrumman2004

I have never bought a cymbal just for collection. I use all that I buy.

I have one that I made into a clock that I had in high school (in the 60s) that I used back then. I also have a 16" Zildjian thin crash that has a small crack and I replaced it. I took the cracked one, had the band members at the time sign it, and it's on a shelf in my music room.

Same with snare drums. I buy them to play, not to collect.

I don't buy drums or cymbals as an investment.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I love the fact that all these people are never happy with what they got and they're always buying new stuff year after year. It makes for plenty of awesome, practically new condition used gear for guys like me to buy.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Cymbals are like beautiful women, well not all cymbals. Some are cheap and trashy. Everybody has their preferences. Some people are happy with just a few good ones and keep them for years. Some people want to try them all and they keep a huge harem.

BillBachman

Gold Member
I hit over 70 cymbals at one point and then thinned the herd. Now I'm a little under 50. I collect, but also play my cymbals. At the point where I hit 70 some too many of mine were starting to sound too similar so I thinned it out selling mainly the rare vintage ones to put that money elsewhere. And some were just never getting used as I waited for the perfect gig for them that never happened.

There's nothing wrong with collecting & it doesn't hurt anybody if you don't ever play them, so have at it!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Drummers are supposed to collect cymbals and snare drums- hopefully for the purpose of making music with them. Collecting just to have a lot of stuff, or for the thrill of buying, is just consumerism.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Drummers are supposed to collect cymbals and snare drums- hopefully for the purpose of making music with them.
Well, I don't think drummers are "supposed" to have a large collection of cymbals and snare drums. It's nice to have variety, yes, but it's not a requirement.

Collecting just to have a lot of stuff, or for the thrill of buying, is just consumerism.
I have a small collection of cymbals that I don't play, but I bought to hold on to and "protect". They are extremely thin cymbals from the 1930s, that must have been old stock or simply tucked in a closet because it's a miracle they survived all this time. I couldn't imagine anyone playing them and not breaking them. I think they're a cool piece of history, which could be played if they were babied, but I'm taking it upon myself to preserve them while I have possession of them. I mean, I guess you *could* lick and stick that stamp from the 1860s.

There are some kits/snares/cymbals which are screaming to be collected. Anything made that is "special edition", or has an anniversary number on it, or is specifically being made in limited quantities--these things will attract buyers who will buy them to hold onto them and preserve their condition. It's the collector's mindset: It has some special value/desirability because of its age/rarity/condition/uniqueness. It's not too far of a step away from why a drummer would have more than 1 snare or more than 1 ride cymbal, if you *really* think about it...

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Well, I don't think drummers are "supposed" to have a large collection of cymbals and snare drums. It's nice to have variety, yes, but it's not a requirement.

I have a small collection of cymbals that I don't play, but I bought to hold on to and "protect". They are extremely thin cymbals from the 1930s, that must have been old stock or simply tucked in a closet because it's a miracle they survived all this time. I couldn't imagine anyone playing them and not breaking them. I think they're a cool piece of history, which could be played if they were babied, but I'm taking it upon myself to preserve them while I have possession of them. I mean, I guess you *could* lick and stick that stamp from the 1860s.

There are some kits/snares/cymbals which are screaming to be collected. Anything made that is "special edition", or has an anniversary number on it, or is specifically being made in limited quantities--these things will attract buyers who will buy them to hold onto them and preserve their condition. It's the collector's mindset: It has some special value/desirability because of its age/rarity/condition/uniqueness. It's not too far of a step away from why a drummer would have more than 1 snare or more than 1 ride cymbal, if you *really* think about it...
+1.There are some early K Zildjians that are too delicate and thin to play,but are highly collectable,and just go up in value.Besides the fact,that more that a few of those cymbals,really don't sound all that great.But they are a little piece of history.Some of the more rarer ones should be preserved.You can't play everything into the ground.

Steve B

Travis22

To each their own. If you have have the money and want to blow it on a something you will never use, go for it. Personally, I don't have that kind of cash to be slinging around, so I save up and buy what I need/want and with a warranty, because I don't have 20 crashes laying around to bail me out if something happens, and I hang on to old gear for in a pinch. However, if I was stupid rich, I would own thousands, if not millions, of dollars worth of equpiment. It's like that dream car, some of us have just one, and some, like Jay Leno, can never have enough of them or decide which one is "The One." I'm a Pearl and Sabian guy, but if I had the money, I would also own DW and Sonor kits, as well as a complete setup of Zildjian's and Paiste's. Any SERIOUS drummer would be almost crazy to not WANT an extensive collection of percussion gear. Some people just happen to have the money, where as people like me do not. Don't be jealous, just make the most of what you have.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I'm bidding on an old Zyn ride on eBay. I have an addiction for larger cymbals that is starting to take hold and I think that it might one day turn into a collection. I don't think that's a bad thing because I'll make active use of the cymbals even if they're not all played at once.

K 'prospectors' irritate me though for two simple reasons:

i) They collect Vintage Ks and don't play them. Then hoard, which makes it very hard to get hold of a good one.

ii) The fantasies about those old cymbals are fantasies. They can be really great but any Agop, or Murat Diril or countless others are made in an identical fashion and in a few years will be much the same. My advice there is to buy those cymbals instead and just play them in.

S

sticks4drums

I'm bidding on an old Zyn ride on eBay. I have an addiction for larger cymbals that is starting to take hold and I think that it might one day turn into a collection. I don't think that's a bad thing because I'll make active use of the cymbals even if they're not all played at once.

K 'prospectors' irritate me though for two simple reasons:

i) They collect Vintage Ks and don't play them. Then hoard, which makes it very hard to get hold of a good one.

ii) The fantasies about those old cymbals are fantasies. They can be really great but any Agop, or Murat Diril or countless others are made in an identical fashion and in a few years will be much the same. My advice there is to buy those cymbals instead and just play them in.
Which cymbal are you bidding on? I want to try and out bid you! :)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I don't collect cymbals in the same way that you would collect stamps or coins or art or sports memorabilia... I see it as a collection of sounds at my disposal that I can pick and choose from depending on my mood or circustance.
+715

What that means is, I have 715 cymbals. :)

Bermuda

drummerman42

Hey everyone,
i just wanted to ask
who all here collect cymbals?
in my opinion,its a waste to collect cymbals
u buy cymbals so u should use them,
not collect right?
I wouldn't say it's a waste to collect cymbals, especially if you have a prized one that you just retired, but take it out everyone now and then. I have a few cymbals put away right now too. I use them in specific situations when I'm looking for 'that sound'. It's just like collecting snares if you would. You go to them for 'that sound' when you nee them!