Collectable accessories

timmdrum

Gold Member
What accessories would be considered valuable (relative to it's original cost)? The original Ching Ring of whatever brand/model Bonham used? A certain cowbell?

How about this lil' guy?
PXL_20231026_201452184.jpg

What others? I suppose stands would fall in this category also.

Any time I see a “rare, collectible” accessory listed for sale, it either never sells, or it …eventually… sells for 1/10 the original asking price.

There are some oddities, as an example 60's flat premier slotted head keys go for stupid amounts of money for what is just a thin sheet of stamped metal. £30 to up to £70GBP isn't an unusual asking price for something that can be replaced easily with a screwdriver or even a coin.

There are some oddities, as an example 60's flat premier slotted head keys go for stupid amounts of money for what is just a thin sheet of stamped metal. £30 to up to £70GBP isn't an unusual asking price for something that can be replaced easily with a screwdriver or even a coin.
I had a slot drum key when I had my Hayman. Lethal thing! The amount of times I stabbed myself in the thigh when it was in my pocket.

£30-£70 to remind you to keep your tetanus jab up to date is a bit steep lol!

There are a couple of vintage accessories I'd like to get, but they are just too expensive. Probably 20 years ago, you couldn't give this stuff away.

I'd like one of these stick holders to put on my vintage kits when I play out.

I also would like one of the phone dial mufflers to put over the soundhole of my vintage kits to hide the port hole when I'm not gigging. I like the look of an unported head on old kits.

A friend had the Zildjian "Z" which was a drum key and it had a lanyard. Funny because he didn't own a drumset at the time, he bought one many years later.

When I first got my Olympic kit, I wanted one of these keys just to tune them a little easier than using a screwdriver. But you’re right, I guess they’re rare cuz I’ve never seen one go for a reasonable price.

The slot heads always look bunged up anyway (from people using screwdrivers?) so I’ve since replaced all them all with square heads. Of course I’ve kept the original rods, just in case…

My most collectible thing is a couple of Rogers keys from the 70s. They’re somewhere in my house, but damned if I can find them.

Lots of item that go for top dollar these days:
Rail Consolette Mount wrenches (like a small spark plug wrench)
Rogers and MIJ (Made In Japan) stick "trays" that mount on an L-arm like a cowbell would (rod goes through the tray)
Zildjian Cymbal Snaps (although Cardinal Percussion re-issued them about a year ago)
Ludwig "Sta-Set" 4 in one drum tool from the 80's

I'm sure there are others I am not thinking of. I was thinking more true accessories, rather than hardware and stands, pedals etc.

I have an original Gretsch barrel key that is either hard to find or very expensive when you do.
It's the key I had my kydex sheath maker buddy make a sheath for & it's on my keys.

For everything else, what you (and the market) think is rare & collectable usually won't sell for what they want or for WAY less. It's just the nature of the beast.

Back