Collarless Snare Head with Deep Snare Beds

Hello all! Just getting back to regarding this situation and I'm happy to report I picked up a good amount of sensitivity by adding a Diplomat snare head and I switched from the CS to an Ambassador X coated. More tension on the bottom head was added and I got the results closer to what I was expecting. Ordered a couple of no-collar snare side heads for use on my Ludwig snares. Thanks to all of you...you rock!

JimmyM

Gold Member
Hello all! Just getting back to regarding this situation and I'm happy to report I picked up a good amount of sensitivity by adding a Diplomat snare head and I switched from the CS to an Ambassador X coated. More tension on the bottom head was added and I got the results closer to what I was expecting. Ordered a couple of no-collar snare side heads for use on my Ludwig snares. Thanks to all of you...you rock!
Been considering one to "elevate" this cheap DDrum snare with no beds I got with a shell kit. Thinking it's always going to sound like a beater snare, though.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Been considering one to "elevate" this cheap DDrum snare with no beds I got with a shell kit. Thinking it's always going to sound like a beater snare, though.
If you use the no collar snare side, check out the Fat Cat snare wires WITH pitch, They are made for snares with no, or very little snare bed.

I've been using the SA-0314-TD head for around 25 years now. Remo used to have it under the "marching" heads, but I believe it's gotten noticed in the last few years, so it's available more now. I used to buy 4 or 5 once a year for a long time, but now I don't need to.

I use the Remo on one 6.5 BB, and the Ludwig SS on the other. The Remo has a slightly lower pitch than the Ludwig, but the same sensitivity, and it's worked great for having the same character, but different tones in venues.

pgm554

Platinum Member
If you use the no collar snare side, check out the Fat Cat snare wires WITH pitch, They are made for snares with no, or very little snare bed.

I've been using the SA-0314-TD head for around 25 years now. Remo used to have it under the "marching" heads, but I believe it's gotten noticed in the last few years, so it's available more now. I used to buy 4 or 5 once a year for a long time, but now I don't need to.

I use the Remo on one 6.5 BB, and the Ludwig SS on the other. The Remo has a slightly lower pitch than the Ludwig, but the same sensitivity, and it's worked great for having the same character, but different tones in venues.
I think it would be a waste if he uses the no collar approach.
Fat Cat pitched snares may work.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You can add a snare bed if you want. Sandpaper and a block to keep the bed uniform, go slow with even strokes.

It's a cheap drum, you wont hurt it.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I think it would be a waste if he uses the no collar approach.
Fat Cat pitched snares may work.
Curious as to why you'd think it was a waste?
A difference in the sound of the head?

Other than the Ludwig with the crimped hoop, the Remo no collar is the only head i've come across that lets you dial in the tension the way you want, without bottoming out with a Ludwig butt plate. Even the lower collar on the Aquarian head doesn't get the pitch I want with the Ludwig butt piece.
I guess on other brands it doesn't matter since the butt piece is usually higher.

That said, I like the Ludwig or Remo no collar on my Hammered 402, but the only SS head that gets "that" sound is the regular hazy Ambassador snare side. The tone of that film is different than the crystal clear film.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Curious as to why you'd think it was a waste?
A difference in the sound of the head?

Other than the Ludwig with the crimped hoop, the Remo no collar is the only head i've come across that lets you dial in the tension the way you want, without bottoming out with a Ludwig butt plate. Even the lower collar on the Aquarian head doesn't get the pitch I want with the Ludwig butt piece.
I guess on other brands it doesn't matter since the butt piece is usually higher.

That said, I like the Ludwig or Remo no collar on my Hammered 402, but the only SS head that gets "that" sound is the regular hazy Ambassador snare side. The tone of that film is different than the crystal clear film.
I have noticed, since the collarless heads have become more popular, Remo offers the hazy film in collarless now. That's what I have gotten most recently, and I love em.

John Q. Drummer

They offer both the clear and hazy in the collarless models.

Was aware of the clear version. I've used it successfully numerous times in the past. Was not aware of the hazy version. That's amazing and thanks for the tip!