Cold feet, or change of heart?

sbowman128675

So, as you all know the past while I’ve been working on my audish for the Musicians Institute. Things were going good right up until I got the musicians together that I would be using (its actually only 1..), I started to have doubts about if I really wanted to go this direction in life. I’ve been around musicians of every calibre in my lifetime because of my Dad and Brother and now that I’m actually on the cuff of possibly going into that field of work…..I don’t want to. Don’t get me wrong, I love music. But honestly my life’s priorities go like this: 1. Faith/Church, 2. Family, 3. Work/School, 4. Music……Honestly I’ve realized that up until now I’ve been wanting to go to MI on ambitions, that in all fairness, others have put forth towards me. When it comes down to it, I LOVE music, but not enough to have to travel to find work, have a family life that may work out or not and find stress in every corner.

I may just be sounding critical, but….is this cold feet? Or a change of heart? I’m asking because when I truly ask myself what I want, throw the desire of being in music off to the side, I want to have a family in a reasonably sized town, middle class, go to church on Sunday, play music there and probably get work on the side paid or not and go to work in a suit and make an honest reasonable living ( I’m not bashing music as a career).

What do you guys think?

Steve.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I understand what you are saying. I love music too, but it is not my job/career. Only you know what is in your heart, and you seem to have a good handle on you priorities. Many musicians, probably most, have other jobs and also play music locally. Pray and follow your heart. Peace and goodwill.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Sounds like being a Minister of Music at a church might really suit you. There are many ways to make a living playing or at least being surrounded by music, and not all of them force you to travel and leave your family.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
So, as you all know the past while I’ve been working on my audish for the Musicians Institute. Things were going good right up until I got the musicians together that I would be using (its actually only 1..), I started to have doubts about if I really wanted to go this direction in life. I’ve been around musicians of every calibre in my lifetime because of my Dad and Brother and now that I’m actually on the cuff of possibly going into that field of work…..I don’t want to. Don’t get me wrong, I love music. But honestly my life’s priorities go like this: 1. Faith/Church, 2. Family, 3. Work/School, 4. Music……Honestly I’ve realized that up until now I’ve been wanting to go to MI on ambitions, that in all fairness, others have put forth towards me. When it comes down to it, I LOVE music, but not enough to have to travel to find work, have a family life that may work out or not and find stress in every corner.

I may just be sounding critical, but….is this cold feet? Or a change of heart? I’m asking because when I truly ask myself what I want, throw the desire of being in music off to the side, I want to have a family in a reasonably sized town, middle class, go to church on Sunday, play music there and probably get work on the side paid or not and go to work in a suit and make an honest reasonable living ( I’m not bashing music as a career).

What do you guys think?

Steve.
Here's my 2 cents:

You've described the same situation I've encountered many times in my career. Your priorities are basically the same as mine, and are admirable. There have been times that I put career before family, and I've regretted it, even though in the long run it may have been beneficial to my family financially. I've also fought the battle with work taking me away from church.

I will tell you that stress can be found in just about any and every situation, whether it be from working too many hours, illness, lack of money, etc. Any way you slice it, you have to learn how to deal with life's stresses. I can't say I've been the best at that, and my health has suffered because of it.

But there is nothing wrong with wanting the situation you described. I see a lot of family situations thrown into turmoil due to excessive travel, and in my opinion being there for your kids (and spouse) is essential.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
You really put faith/church above family in your priorities? You yanks and your faith, honestly...

As for your question, I can only say in the strongest possible terms, do what you WANT to do. Life is too short to do any otherwise.

sbowman128675

You really put faith/church above family in your priorities? You yanks and your faith, honestly...

As for your question, I can only say in the strongest possible terms, do what you WANT to do. Life is too short to do any otherwise.
lol...yanks........awesomely said man.

Steve,

I for one admire your sense of priorities. As a person of faith, (and a yank), may I encourage you to to continue to pray into this situation. God has a plan for you. Sometimes that plan involves stepping way out of our comfort zone. Prayer, like music, requires listening as much as speaking (playing). Blessings to you as you move through this chapter of your life.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Well, there is nothing wrong with wanting a musical education so that you may enjoy it as a hobby later on in life! Going to MI and learning about music does not make you a professional musician; you'll have to choose to do that at some point.

What will be the costs to your non-music career, your family, and your faith if you go to music school? Think short-term and long-term here. Your church will probably be there when you get back, right? You might even be more valuable to them with your new education.

You might just be balking at the ridiculous amount of unpaid work you'll have to do (in fact, you'll be paying to do it!). That's a big change for anyone who's has a job for a while.

Good luck!

A

Anthony Amodeo

Going to MI and learning about music does not make you a professional musician

this is the common misconception

school does not give you a career......it educates you

then it is up to you what you do with it

at MI you will not only be learning your craft and the history of it but you will be meeting a network of future and currently working musicians from all over the world

this is as important as understanding your craft if you wish to have a career in music

as the very wise and successful Bermuda said in a thread here not very long ago

"it is about who you know...but even more so about who knows you."