Coffee

Caz

I love coffee but have tried to give it up for a while.. there's little work on for musicians and no need to be running around buzzing all the time so I'm taking it easy for a while. I'd love to drink decaf but was told not to by a doctor, she said the process they use to extract the caffeine makes it way worse than just drinking coffee itself.. was kinda sad about that, so would welcome hearing otherwise :)

Caroline

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I ordered some high-end single-origin coffee (Esmerelda Geisha from Panama) for $48/pound. Hilariously, it wasn’t bitter enough for me, and I had to add a little regular coffee in to get the bitterness I enjoy. Lesson learned? Lol

mikyok

Platinum Member
I was brought up in a family of tea bellies...it took me until I was 25 to realise that I never actually liked the stuff, and was just drinking it out of habit!! :) (y)

I married an Irish girl, they drink more of the stuff over there than us.

I can't drink any shite like PG or Tetley. Yorkshire as a bare minimum and if I'm in Ireland I stock up on Barry's and a cheeky bottle of bushmills

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I married an Irish girl, they drink more of the stuff over there than us.

I can't drink any shite like PG or Tetley. Yorkshire as a bare minimum and if I'm in Ireland I stock up on Barry's and a cheeky bottle of bushmills
As an American, my tea sensibilities aren't as refined as in the UK. Meaning store brand black teas taste just fine to me ha ha.

However, if there's a better way, I wanna know about it. So good tip mikyok. I will be looking into your suggestions. Here I thought Tetley was the good stuff lol. I like Bigelow English breakfast Tea a lot. I'm not a huge fan of straight green tea. I like the fermented stuff, but I always have a bag of green tea in there with my black tea just for the extra health benefits from the different antioxidant profile. The black tea taste trumps the green tea taste, I can't even tell if there's any green tea in there. But I'm unrefined. Oh and I gotta have honey in tea. I absolutely love honey. Milk, as much as I like it in tea, I read that milk binds to some of the beneficial elements in tea and negates them. So I skip the milk in case that's right, that's really easy.

Coffee does taste good to me still, love the smell. I love opening the can of ground coffee and getting that first whiff. But if I don't have half and half or light cream to put in it, I'm passing.

Last edited:

drumnut87

yep, i feel more energised after a good cup of coffee, i usually drink it at gigs if its available, if not i have water or the occasional cola :)

and yes, i have a slight obsession with the stuff xD for instance.......

154071499_464346708043703_4608448800747429071_n.jpg

the pods for my docle gusto machine and some of the coffee for my filter coffee machine

153140252_176218510736749_6931683999199542042_n.jpg

the rest of my filter coffee, the pods for my tassimo machine and some of the instant coffee sachets

154267098_759202251392506_6712148866795469188_n.jpg

and finally, all the capsules for my nespresso machine xD

so yeah, you can say i have a penchant for coffee ^_^

The Shepherd

I don't drink coffee after lunchtime or I'll be up half the night. I don't drink tea of any type past lunch either or I'll be getting up for a whiz all night.

I'll stick with having two shots of Drambuie and a few bong hits while smashing away out in the garage. I sound great to me and that's all that matters. :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'd love to drink decaf but was told not to by a doctor, she said the process they use to extract the caffeine makes it way worse than just drinking coffee itself..
Look for organic decaf. Then look for "swiss water process" on the package. This is safe decaf that does not use chemicals for stripping the caffeine from the beans, only water.

Most companies use a solvent, either methylene chloride or ethyl acetate to strip the caffeine from the beans.

Organic decaf is more expensive, but totally worth it.

Auspicious

I love coffee but have tried to give it up for a while.. there's little work on for musicians and no need to be running around buzzing all the time so I'm taking it easy for a while. I'd love to drink decaf but was told not to by a doctor, she said the process they use to extract the caffeine makes it way worse than just drinking coffee itself.. was kinda sad about that, so would welcome hearing otherwise :)

Caroline

Wow ok I read about the decaffeination process this morning, I am not going to drink another decaffeinated coffee.

Thanks for the info.

Truthfully when I was into energy drinks I was better at concentrating and focusing......for 45 minutes. Coffee?...not strong enough...unless it was a mega high espresso.

It's sign of a saturation problem, that a reason why I stopped drinking coffee earlier. When the coffee is not strong enough anymore = a problem.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Most grad students are given a coffee cup that is glued to your hand. Once you finally graduate they give you a new cup to glue to your hand for your post doc. LOL. Coffee or tea time is what runs research in about every lab I've walked in. Some prefer their caffeine in soft drinks though. I drink 2-3 cups a day now I'm not working-so no longer go through pots of coffee daily. I remember starting some experiments at 6 am and then come 11 pm it's finally finishing. That's a whole bunch of coffee keeping my engines purring. I generally didn't drink as much coffee when performing microsurgery though. I love coffee-I'm drinking it now. My second cup-so in another one I"ll be cognitive of what I'm doing and my wife and TV blaring at me. Right now I'm in filter mode-i can only focus on one thing-waking up LOL.

Auspicious

Most grad students are given a coffee cup that is glued to your hand. Once you finally graduate they give you a new cup to glue to your hand for your post doc. LOL. Coffee or tea time is what runs research in about every lab I've walked in. Some prefer their caffeine in soft drinks though. I drink 2-3 cups a day now I'm not working-so no longer go through pots of coffee daily. I remember starting some experiments at 6 am and then come 11 pm it's finally finishing. That's a whole bunch of coffee keeping my engines purring. I generally didn't drink as much coffee when performing microsurgery though. I love coffee-I'm drinking it now. My second cup-so in another one I"ll be cognitive of what I'm doing and my wife and TV blaring at me. Right now I'm in filter mode-i can only focus on one thing-waking up LOL.

3 cups per day after a lifetime of drinking coffee? You don't get any internal stress at all, like stomach ill be or anything like that?

Lucky!

cbphoto

Gold Member
I worked with Bunn for years and they have a laboratory in which they make the “Golden Cup”. They analyze coffee from various brewers (of all brands). They measure tannin levels, specific gravity, aroma elements, caffeine levels, etc., all based on the currently most imported coffee bean into America: Colombian. It’s an excellent cup of coffee, and I learned that to make good coffee, certain methods of extraction are preferred. This led me to my current method of brewing: stovetop espresso. No expensive machine needed, just the proper brewer, good water and good beans. One cup in the morning and I’m ready for liftoff.

Chocolate syrup and foamed milk make for a decent ”mocha”, too.

EA20DCD1-6741-4038-863A-EF64C5914D1C.jpeg

wraub

Make a strong coffee in a French press, add raw honey, enjoy the day.

About to attempt all three. :)

Typically I'll make a 16oz coffee in a cup that keeps it warm, and drink it all day. Sometimes I'll still be drinking it at 7 o'clock at night, because it's so tasty. No sleep issues at all, but if any arise I have... something for that. ;)

Auspicious

Read my post right above yours. Not all decaf is made with solvents. You can still enjoy decaf.

I rarely drink decaf but it happens occasionnaly. Your idea makes sense, to buy a organic brand, it's apparently hard to find for decaf, just read that.

But buying organic coffee is a wise idea, decaf or not.. I will ask my local organic food store about this, it's a large store, they should have something.

Thanks for the idea... what I currently have in the freezer is not organic.

Auspicious

I worked with Bunn for years and they have a laboratory in which they make the “Golden Cup”. They analyze coffee from various brewers (of all brands). They measure tannin levels, specific gravity, aroma elements, caffeine levels, etc., all based on the currently most imported coffee bean into America: Colombian. It’s an excellent cup of coffee, and I learned that to make good coffee, certain methods of extraction are preferred. This led me to my current method of brewing: stovetop espresso. No expensive machine needed, just the proper brewer, good water and good beans. One cup in the morning and I’m ready for liftoff.

Chocolate syrup and foamed milk make for a decent ”mocha”, too.

View attachment 101629

I have an old espresso machine but the stovetop coffee maker is a much better tool, in my opinion, to extract the maximum amount of flavor out of the coffee.

I might order one today!!

C.M. Jones

I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear! I drink the stuff for England.

If I'm working or recording I've usually got a brew on. Builders strength aka put hairs on other peoples chests.

I love a proper cup of tea as well, preferably prepared with loose leaves in a pot. Warm the pot, and boil the kettle; then bring the pot to the kettle, not the kettle to the pot, and brew for three to five minutes, pouring the tea into a cup using a strainer and adding milk and sugar to taste. This process forges a hearty brew, but it's also ceremonial and time-consuming, though it's worth every stately step. In a century stripped of etiquette, we could all use a little more formality in our lives.

Last edited: