Coffee Sparkle Stave

Rather than just saying nothing, I have to be completely honest, & I hope you take this in the spirit it's delivered. I like your work very much, but not this build. The finish is really interesting, & on another drum, I'm sure it would look stunning, but on Birdseye maple? Unless the photo's aren't revealing enough, I don't get your decision to mask the unique figuring that Birdseye delivers - a plain maple = yes.

It's the hardware that really grates with me though. It's not just the colour, it's the chunky appearance too.

Sorry, I'm sure it sounds really good, but the visual isn't your finest work IMHO.

Andy x

The finish is really interesting, & on another drum, I'm sure it would look stunning, but on Birdseye maple? Unless the photo's aren't revealing enough, I don't get your decision to mask the unique figuring that Birdseye delivers - a plain maple = yes.
+1^^^^^was hoping to see the grain through the finish, have been back a few times trying to get a closer look. Love the look of Birdseye

Just bored with plain Birdseye Andy. I currently have 5 natural Birdseye snares. Was heading towards a flat black murder drum, ended up here just out of random experimenting. Same goes for the 10 lugs on a 13". I measured and drilled it while also doing a 14" and was on auto pilot. Try finding 10 hole 13" hoops, I did not even bother looking, just went with the single flange.

Just bored with plain Birdseye Andy. I currently have 5 natural Birdseye snares. Was heading towards a flat black murder drum, ended up here just out of random experimenting. Same goes for the 10 lugs on a 13". I measured and drilled it while also doing a 14" and was on auto pilot. Try finding 10 hole 13" hoops, I did not even bother looking, just went with the single flange.

These guys have 13" 10 lug hoops:
http://www.jamminsam.com/tom-and-snare-rims/

A see through stain would have looked much nicer over birdseye, IMO. If you are bored with birdseye, sell the wood to a builder who is not bored with it. Its a waste to cover it.

I get you :) Real world workshop decisions on the fly. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

I drilled a padauk shell for the wrong lug dimensions a while back. Too long a working day = consequences. I fitted the "wrong" lugs - now I have a personal padauk snare ;) ;) ;)

Chromed lugs and hoops would make the finish pop more. The black on brown isn't working for me.

Don't you feel better now after reading our opinions? Sorry. I feel you can work better with honesty than with fluff.

This in no way detracts from the respect I have for you and your drums, it's strictly a cosmetic thing.

Chromed lugs and hoops would make the finish pop more. The black on brown isn't working for me.

Don't you feel better now after reading our opinions? Sorry. I feel you can work better with honesty than with fluff.

This in no way detracts from the respect I have for you and your drums, it's strictly a cosmetic thing.

LMAO. Better than silence.
It looks black in all light except this direct sunlight. Then the metallic creeps through and you get this metallic mocha. And it sparkles more than the pics show, still have no idea how to capture glitter in photos.

Back