Cocktail kit

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
I searched a few threads and while it all seems pretty explanatory, I'm looking to hear some feedback from those who have played or have an opinion regarding stand-up cocktail kits. My band does acoustic sets/unplugged and I'm looking for the lighter side of things without loosing the skeleton of the songs.

Also wondering about what is on the market for sale? I see like three or four companies actively selling different models...ranging from $300-1,400. GB, HB, Metropolitan, Yamaha. Some have a seperate snare (8" or 10") and some have the dual action bass/snare.

Thoughts?

Andy

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I searched a few threads and while it all seems pretty explanatory, I'm looking to hear some feedback from those who have played or have an opinion regarding stand-up cocktail kits. My band does acoustic sets/unplugged and I'm looking for the lighter side of things without loosing the skeleton of the songs.

Also wondering about what is on the market for sale? I see like three or four companies actively selling different models...ranging from $300-1,400. GB, HB, Metropolitan, Yamaha. Some have a seperate snare (8" or 10") and some have the dual action bass/snare.

Thoughts?

Andy
Go for it!

I am saving coin to have Unix make me a stave cocktail set. I think they are a great option for smaller settings. In some situations, you wouldn't be allowed to haul in a drum set, but a cocktail kit flies in under the radar. They are off the charts on the coolness scale, while sets like the GigPig, etc., seem a bit dorky. No, cocktails aren't a "real" drumset, but rather a separate, distinct instrument with its one limitations and possibilities.

As always, get the best gear you can, which usually means more money. The DW cocktails look sweet and someone from Metrodrums posts here - they are a Keller shell cocktail drum company. Getting a good one on the cheap will be hard as they are fairly rare. I think it would be fun to see a Cragslist cocktail kit tilted at a really steep angle and with cracked cimbols.

HB is a FEPOS brand but even those are getting better these days. I'd be interested in checking out an HB set and I bet it could sound pretty decent with proper heads, tuning and hardware.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
"FEPOS"? I think I know what that means...PM me if it no-no language.

As much as I would love to break bank on high-ended-ness with any drums I acquire, I'm truly looking for the least $$$ without sacrificing too much quality. Agreed that any set can be made to work better than it's initial setup (heads, cymbals and hardware)....which is why HB looks appealing. If something from a more reputable establishment has something close to that, which I doubt, I would take me wallet there.

Funny, I was scouring my local Craigslistings and found nothing but tables, glasses, dresses, full size bars, etc...

Thanks DMC.

Andy

slingerlandfreak

I would go for Pearl Rhythm traveller kit, great ultra small kit or optional coctail kit with small one-head toms. it is in Europe about 333euro. You can use it as drumset or as cocktail set.
It has small bass 16x14, i am thinking to buy this too. Yamahas club jordan is professional cocktail kit but it costs some bucks!

denisri

Silver Member
Hi
For small setting/room, I have been using a set of Pearl Rhythm Travelers...with the following changes....high end snare(DW),changed the heads.....blanket in the bass drum...placed mic's on bass and snare and one Shure KMS-27 overhead mic. It sounds great!!!!!
The kit takes very little room...with easy load in and out of the gig.
Denis

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I think it would be fun to see a Cragslist cocktail kit tilted at a really steep angle and with cracked cimbols.
That'd be RAD. I'd have to be a double-kick cocktail kit (once you learn how to levitate) w/ 6 of those little mini 8" cocktail toms (craigslist-steep) around the front. Of course, lots of cracked symbols. I would hope it would have a rad "custom" paint job with an air-brushed Jesus on the front...and some flames to make it go fast.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
That'd be RAD. I'd have to be a double-kick cocktail kit (once you learn how to levitate) w/ 6 of those little mini 8" cocktail toms (craigslist-steep) around the front. Of course, lots of cracked symbols. I would hope it would have a rad "custom" paint job with an air-brushed Jesus on the front...and some flames to make it go fast.
HAHA! Funny. I can see it now. Don't forget the duct tape and it includes the shiny thingies that you put the symbals on. And the seller has to get rid of it because's he's moving into an apartment with his girlfriend who doesn't like him playing drums.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
http://whitneydrums.com/

click on products and cocktail drums. I know you want to go cheap but, if you do your research, I'm sure you'll find the HB drums are crap.
I have an HB cocktail set and yes, they are low-end drums. However, the shells are birch and actually very good for the money. I rewrapped mine in a tiki motif and added decent cymbals and hardware.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I've had 2 over the years and loved them in the Rockabilly scene. The first one I had was the GP Percussion one that I got on the cheap.
Cheap for a reason, but I did learn a lot from it when I went to build the one I used for a while

The "BassTom" on most factory built sets are 15x24 with the popcorn snare & 8" tom attached to the basstom shell. The 15" just can't give you the thump needed without some type of amplified assistance. The snare & rack tom are mediocre at best. Clip on a small hi-hat set & maybe a 10" splash & that's all you got.

That wasn't going to work for me.

So I set out to build one. I took two 16" floor toms, trimmed them up & put them together. Making the overall basstom to 16x26. Much better for the inverted pedal to play off of.

I mounted a 13" snare & 10" tom to a cymbal stand so I could arrange them to my own need. That way the basstom could breathe without any issues. I used a crash ride for the brass and hit the stage.

As I play standing up anyway, this was a perfect idea. Over time, I needed more bottom end for shows that we didn't mike the kit on & the cocktail set became obsolete.
Sold it to another rockabilly cat for him to start his journey.

I've seen many variations on this idea, but the likes of the Yamaha Club Jordan arrangement are pretty much the one to stick with.

Frank

Gold Member
I agree with others suggesting a compact kit over a cocktail kit. To me, the typical sizes of shells on a cocktail kit are useless.

A compact kit won't take that much more space, and the results are far better.

I wish those Rhythm Traveller kits were still on the market. I think they stopped production. Gotta buy used.

Frank

Gold Member
And then I'll offer my take on a compact kit:
Pearl Roadshow in the jazz size. Small and with good heads, sounds great. And the price sure is right.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
How ironic.

I OG'd this post back in 2009...

Revitalized in Dec 17? And guess what...I'm looking at Tama Cocktail Jam kits...haha.

So, I did have a stand-up kit for a while (can't even remember the years) and used it a few times, but traded it a few years back.

The Jam kit looks promising and actually has quite a few good reviews. Just something to take to tiny gigs would suffice.

Most places are sold out of them - it is Christmastime so maybe after the new year,

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Back in 1975, yes I'm old, I was asked to sit in for a friend and his fathers three piece band and agreed and showed up at the local restaurant, night club, and lo and behold a cocktail kit. I had never played one. This one was set up for playing seated not standing. We played three sets over 4 hours, to a group old enough to be my parents at the time, but they and I had a ball. I had grown up listening to my Mom and Dad listening to 40's big band stuff so I knew most of the songs. Took some getting used to but liked the idea.

indedrum

I built this kit for a forum member, and I thought the concept was very cool. Basically a modular setup, with a 14" bass drum and an 8x14 snare, and a 12/14/20 kit that matched. The 8x12 was used on the cocktail kit, and a number of combinations could be put together by rearranging these drums.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
The Jam kit has a great amount of appeal with it being a nesting set of shells in one bag and the hardware in the other. Just a throne and whatever extras are required.

Listening to YT vids of it live are pretty appetizing.