Cocaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhumbagirl

In the course of getting to know the other members of the new band I joined last week some have alluded to doing lines. I'm already overlooking the bong use between sets. Should I run out the door as fast as I can or stay until it actually becomes a problem (eg people late to a gig, stuff gets stolen, etc)?

In the course of getting to know the other members of the new band I joined last week some have alluded to doing lines. I'm already overlooking the bong use between sets. Should I run out the door as fast as I can or stay until it actually becomes a problem (eg people late to a gig, stuff gets stolen, etc)?
Don't stay. I joined a band where every member did it...they were very shady, and could not be trusted. Band drama is magnified x10. Gigs were ridiculous. It is just stupid, don't waste your time.

They all had constant runny noses too.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The bong I'd overlook too-but the reference to "lines" is a clear red line I'd say because it all can be problematic. Maybe discuss your concerns with them. Some people can casually use drugs apparently-I've never been able to or known anyone who could but some people apparently can from what I hear.

Old PIT Guy

If it makes you uncomfortable now you should at least discuss your issues with them before too much time passes and it blows up. The odds of them changing to suit you are flaming Limbo bar low, so at the very least you'll need to personally reconcile with that fact to stay on.

That said, from my experience it's prevalent enough that some measure of adaptation to being straight while around players getting high is a necessary skill .... that or you join them.

Neal Pert

I've known guys who were able to keep their drug use pretty compartmentalized such that it didn't have much impact on their playing. But that's pretty rare. More common is that the drug use is part of the culture of the band. That's where I bow out. I've played with folks who get really drunk and/or high while performing and their performance has REALLY suffered. I've gotten kicked out of a band because I wouldn't get drunk and/or stoned with them before performing-- I should've quit before that. I didn't care what the guys did in their personal lives but when their playing got sloppy because of their addictions I hated it.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Well, stick around if you’ve ever wondered what the booking process entails and if you are desperate for some exciting new and very expensive friends. Last I checked, no prosecution and the $1 bail was reserved for the most dangerous. That’s good. It means at least your safer inside than out. There are advantages!

s1212z

If this is from just a musical standpoint, I’d be more concerned if they were heavy drinkers.

From a personal standpoint, I’m less likely to make personality compromises just because of the music (when I was younger, I just wanted to play regardless). It’s important to me to be at least friends that I would spend time with regardless of a band. So if there are flags that are not a match (regardless of substances), I value my time more to spend time with certain people or not….it’s a call you have to make.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
This is a fine line, but the decision is ultimately yours. Sorry, but not here....." do not discuss drug use or any illegal activities," best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.