Cobham's yellow kit

sacco

Lately I have been watching a few Billy Cobham videos, and I saw once again that beautiful kit he used around 1974 (https://youtu.be/ixmrWWcF6tg). I always thought it was a Gretsch kit, but it actually isn't, as Mr Cobham himself told me after a workshop a couple of years ago. Sadly, in that occasion there was quite a lot of people around him, and I did not get what that kit was. I remember he mentioned a kind of custom shop in New York, but I was unable to understand more than that. Tom holders seem to be Slingerland, and that's almost all I can recognise.

Does anybody have more infos about that kit?

P.S.: I did search the web and this site, but could not get any infos. Additionally, I could have posted this in the Drummers section, but I guess this section gets more views, so ...

M

Matt Bo Eder

Sorry man, I couldn't get past the trombone or guitar solos. What the heck was that?

D

drumming sort of person

Those drums were custom made for him in New York. I'm not sure what lugs they used, but they look like either Slingerland or Gretsch.

That is definitely not a Fibes kit. He played a clear Fibes kit with Mahavishnu Orchestra though.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Great memories, I was there actually!

There's Michael & Randy Brecker, John Abercrombie, Milcho Leviev, Alex Blake & Glenn Ferris.

sacco

Great memories, I was there actually!

There's Michael & Randy Brecker, John Abercrombie, Milcho Leviev, Alex Blake & Glenn Ferris.
Hi Alain, lucky you! I also saw him a couple of times around that era, but never with that yellow kit.

P.S.: I guess you don't remember me, but I lived in Geneva for quite a long time and I remember you and your playing very well! Great work with Frank Gambale!

Last edited:

sacco

Sorry for coming back to this old thread, but now Drummerworld has published a video where that famous yellow kit can be seen in all its beauty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNyYzfkn4yc.
Effectively lugs and floor tom legs look like Gretsch and tom holders like Slingerland. On their side, the shells could well be done of some kind of synthetic material. Still, nobody knows anything really precise about the kit!
Drumming sort of person confirmed what I understood from Mr. Cobham himself, i.e. that those drums were custom made for him in New York, but it would be nice if somebody had some more infos.