Coated vs. Clear Heads

MrBeats503

I played clear G1 over clear Genera Reso (10 mil) on my bubinga toms for over a decade. Nice, open tone with plenty of attack. I went to clear EC2 and I give it 4/5 stars. 2-ply never seemed to be a good use of the physics of a percussive membrane. Now I'm trying coated G14 and the higher harmonics are very muted compared to anything I've used since my old Sonor kit (c.1994–2004). After I record a few things I wanna try collectively raising the pitch on all the toms to see how things sound. Will I get the feel of a basketball or...?
I guess I should have said “try” the g14s or UV2s. I have yet to use them. I guess I was hoping for probably what you were hoping for in getting the open sound of a single ply with a little more durability. Evans describes them as “open” sounding with great sustain and volume.

gish

It’s just what happened. I’m not one of those drummers that takes pride in being a heavy hitter. The music I play is very loud and aggressive. Not sure if many of you can relate. I remember the first time I saw dented heads I thought of it as unmusical and that I would never do that, but here I am. What is tuning JAW? I was tuning to the lowest fundamental pitch, so that could have been it. I downloaded the iDrumTunePro app and have found it very useful.
JAW stands for Just Above Wrinkles. If you’re tuning that low with barely any tension, the head will not achieve its full durability. It’s fairly easy to dent even 2 ply heads tensioned this low.

MrBeats503

JAW stands for Just Above Wrinkles. If you’re tuning that low with barely any tension, the head will not achieve its full durability. It’s fairly easy to dent even 2 ply heads tensioned this low.
Noted. I will not be tuning JAW anymore

gish

Noted. I will not be tuning JAW anymore
Well, if you like that sound than go for it. Just know going in that you may sacrifice longevity to attain the sound you’re after. However you did mention that the Onyx heads worked for you, so it sounds like they could be the ideal head for you. I am still experimenting on the Design kit I bought in December. So far coated Emperors have sounded the best to my ear. I just installed EC2 clears, and will give them a go for the next few weeks. Happy head hunting!

TK-421

I'm tempted to try smooth Emperors when I replace the clear Emperors that came with my Renowns. I'll miss seeing the Silver Sealer but I'll deal with it. ?
If it helps, the kit I put the Smooth White Emperors on is a Renown (an older model with die cast hoops), and they truly sound amazing on that kit. If you’re unsure, just buy one head to try it out. That’s what I did. I bought just a 12” head at first, and as soon as I got it on and tuned up, I could hear a noticeable difference. I think I left skid marks hauling ass back to the drum store to buy the rest of the heads :)