Clueless With Heads - Need Advice

Wopsey

Alright, well heads is pretty much my weak point with Drums. I've learned to tune them (probably nowhere near the amount I can though) and to change them, however I don't really know enough about the different brands/types to make my own decision. As such, I've come to you guys for some advice.

Right now I'm not a big fan of the sound of my drums. I have a Sonor Force 2001 but don't feel my sound is Deep Enough. I play mostly Rock/Metal and therefore want something louder/more defined.

I bought these Drums used a while ago, but couldn't really afford to purchase new heads. As it stands, I currently have Evans EC Resonant on the Top, and Evans Coated Resonant on the Bottom (the guy I bought it from didn't use a Batter Head, how much does this affect my sound?).

I'm wondering what you guys would recommending changing first (I currently have 8, 10, 12 and 14 Toms) and as such will only be changing one side at a time (can't afford to change them both).

I was looking at Coated Ambassadors since I enjoy the look of a white head, but I'm not about to sacrifice sounds for looks (which the previous owner of these Drums seem to have done).

Fellow Drummers, please educate me.

The standard rock drum batter head is the Evans G2 or Remo Emperor, coated or clear at your choice. Can't go wrong with either, and i've found that thicker heads like these tune to a deeper tone than thinner heads.

Check out the Evans G2 for a durable, open 2-ply head.The EC2 is a great 2-ply option with some overtone control. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help in any way possible.

Try some remo powerstroke 4's, evans onyx (I find the EC2's are too open and not enough attack for hard rock and metal), or maybe some aquarian performance II's.

I'm not too familiar with aquarian so not sure about that, but I've used PS4's and they're great for what you're looking for. I also just got some evans onyx and they're great too.

Try some remo powerstroke 4's, evans onyx (I find the EC2's are too open and not enough attack for hard rock and metal), or maybe some aquarian performance II's.

I'm not too familiar with aquarian so not sure about that, but I've used PS4's and they're great for what you're looking for. I also just got some evans onyx and they're great too.

See, for volume I really wouldn't go with those heads. They're completely dead! Unless you're going to play mic'd all the time, you're better off going with the G2s or some Emperors because they actually leave the drum open enough the project. If you're finding EC2s far too open, then you must really like muffled heads.

Personally, I prefer my drums to have a little less attack and a little more projection - so I go for single ply and always have done (even when I played metal) but for most players, the G2s and Emperors are a good starting point. Work up or down from there, but don't start right at the bottom with the muffled heads.

Last time I played a kit with Onyx heads on it, I could barely hear them from behind the kit (it was a borrowed kit at a gig) so I didn't bother with the toms at all! Just far too muffled to project.

See, for volume I really wouldn't go with those heads. They're completely dead! Unless you're going to play mic'd all the time, you're better off going with the G2s or some Emperors because they actually leave the drum open enough the project. If you're finding EC2s far too open, then you must really like muffled heads.

Personally, I prefer my drums to have a little less attack and a little more projection - so I go for single ply and always have done (even when I played metal) but for most players, the G2s and Emperors are a good starting point. Work up or down from there, but don't start right at the bottom with the muffled heads.

Last time I played a kit with Onyx heads on it, I could barely hear them from behind the kit (it was a borrowed kit at a gig) so I didn't bother with the toms at all! Just far too muffled to project.
Yeah I've just always liked short sustain heads, even for jazz.

And I guess you're right. If you're going for volume, Emperors or G2's would probably be the way to go.

Back