Club Date SE snare...forgot how awesome it is.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Last night I brought out my Ludwig Club Date SE to a party gig and decided to use my Club Date snare (14x5) with it. I had been using my Blacro for the past few months. The party was in a hall and we were not mic'ed. I shared my kit with another drummer friend and when he played I couldn't believe how well that snare was projecting fat tone to the back. And when I played it was like a joy to hit rimshot backbeats. Totally full sounding and satisfying to play.

So do I recommend the inexpensive Club Date snare? Yeah, I totally do.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a really good time!

My kit came w/ a 13"-7" snare.I bought a 14" and have gone back to the 13".It works w/ the kit.
I really like the crack of a 13" snare,I also use 13" HiHats.And I'm full Metal!!!

BONEz'

I did have a good time! It was a birthday party for a friend and lots of us are musicians so we put together a show for her. I played 6 songs on drums and 3 on guitar. Was a blast.

I own a CDSE kit with a matching 5 x14 snare. I agree, It is great sounding! It plays just as well as snare drums that cost twice as much. If you want a woody vintage snare sound for a reasonable price then this is a drum to consider. These drums sell for well under $200 new and there are many available. They also make a 6.5" deep size.
The wrap isn't glued all around the shell so this would be an easy drum to rewrap if you don't like the colors that Ludwig offers or if you want to match your kit.
My CDSE snare sounds just as good as my 65 Slingerland Artist single ply or my 1950 Gretsch 3 ply.

Last edited:
I own a CDSE kit with a matching 5 x14 snare. I agree, It is great sounding! It plays just as well as snare drums that cost twice as much. If you want a woody vintage snare sound for a reasonable price then this is a drum to consider. These drums sell for well under $200 new and there are many available. They also make a 6.5" deep size.
The wrap isn't glued all around the shell so this would be an easy drum to rewrap if you don't like the colors that Ludwig offers or if you want to match your kit.
My CDSE snare sounds just as good as my 65 Slingerland Artist single ply or my 1950 Gretsch 3 ply.

For some reason I thought you had the 6.5, Bob. I would be curious to hear that size. These snares are a bargain.

I'm also itching to get a CD 13-16-22 kit like yours.

For some reason I thought you had the 6.5, Bob. I would be curious to hear that size. These snares are a bargain.

I'm also itching to get a CD 13-16-22 kit like yours.
I have never owned a snare drum that was deeper than 5.5". I have been thinking about buying one lately though.

Is this drum a hybrid gum/cherry shell?
I wish Yamaha would make a kit with this shell. The Club date/element SE kits sound 'woody" and have some real bite to them, at higher volumes....

Is this drum a hybrid gum/cherry shell?
I wish Yamaha would make a kit with this shell. The Club date/element SE kits sound 'woody" and have some real bite to them, at higher volumes....
Yes, the snare is cherry and gum wood with birch re-rings and 2.3mm hoops. The edges are rounded.
These drums produce warm tones. They are much like the drums of the 50's and 60's.

i have a club date se... but since i already had two supras, i do not have the matching snare... but i will say that i really like the way my club dates sound and look... i enjoy them quite a bit

i have a club date se... but since i already had two supras, i do not have the matching snare... but i will say that i really like the way my club dates sound and look... i enjoy them quite a bit
I also use a metal snare with my CD kit. I have a BB with black cast hoops that I really fancy.
It is a nice change to break out the wooden snare on occasion.

... but i will say that i really like the way my club dates sound and look... i enjoy them quite a bit

Me too. I put coated G1's (usually use coated G2) on the toms and used them yesterday on a gig. Opened up beautifully but still punchy. The tone of these drums just pleases me to no end. The bass drum makes me smile the most. Went back to my Blacro for the gig though. Also awesome just different.

13-16-22 Ruby Sparkle. WANT.

314655.jpg

Back