Close micing

ronyd

Silver Member
I had been trying out Glyn Johns and Recorderman, using Rode NT1 as the overhead and a sterling ribbon for the 2nd overhead over shoulder or over the floor Tom.
I want to try closing micing the kit. Should I buy another large diaphragm Rode NT1 or go with 2 small diaphragm condenser mics? I use shure beta 52 for the kick, Sm57 snare). Can I incorporate the Sterling ribbon mic I’m using also?

Last edited:

brentcn

Platinum Member
If you got another NT1, you could use the ribbon as a mono overhead, or as a “crotch” mic, or as a mono room mic. A pair of SDCs will not be better as overheads than LDCs, unless you spend a crazy amount of money, and even then the difference will be negligible. The acoustics of the room will be more important.

You can use SDCs where it makes sense to use them. Bleed from other parts of the kit sounds less terrible with SDCs; that’s why you see them on live stages so often. So, you can use then on a hi-hat or ride (in addition to a pair of overheads). Under snare, or as a second snare mic, is also an option.

ronyd

Silver Member
Use the two mics you have as the overhead and hi hat mics. Then invest in the Sennheiser e604 Drum clip-ons for your toms and snare, and a Shure Beta 52 for your bass drum. Done 😉
Thankx Bo, almost there then since I gave an SM57 on the snare and a beta 52 on the kick. 👍

johnjssmith

It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and the first purchase to consider should be another NT1 or sterling ribbon or pair of mics so that you can record a better, more realistic, more cohesive OH track, as using two wildly different mics will lead to a "funny" sounding result if you will.

Then, condenser mics will typically sound better than dynamic mics, especially for percussion instruments, so investing in those will be better if you want a more realistic and versatile recorded sound, though dynamic mics will be cheaper, and usually more sturdy and compact, so if your budget is relatively low and you can't wait to save up more for better mics you should look into those.
If money is more abundant then you have the choice of application specific condenser mics, like the DPA 4099 or earthworks DM20, I can't comment on the DM20 but the 4099 are really sturdy in their own right, or, if you don't care much about portability and whatnot you can also get whatever large diaphragm condenser.

Mics mounted on the shells using suspensions will be much more convenient to place and move and set up, but the sound quality will inevitably suffer because the whole mic casing will be subject to serious vibrations, so again, if convenience is a big factor the application specific mics, like the 4099, or the sE V beat if you're on the cheap, will be better, but if you're mostly going for a "studio setup" and the mics won't be moved much or at all then proper mic stands will be better, both for sound quality, albeit just a bit, and for versatility of placement.

Having more mics is better because it gives you more flexibility, and though you don't necessarily need to use them all at all times having the option of adding a mono room mic, a knee mic, or a floor mic is good, so your ribbon mic will surely find a use.

And