Climate Control for my Kit, Needed or not???

Jeffrey.Orton

I practice in the garage. I have a cheap kit that I'm going to be upgrading from.

I live in California and in the summer temperatures reach 110 degrees F. many times a season. So my garage gets close to 120 degrees F. In winter the weather gets down to around 35-40degrees F. During the wet season it can rain 20 out of 30 days for 3-4 months.

Now what I'd like to know is, With these varied weather changes will it damage my new kit
if I still keep it in the garage???

120 degrees F is pushing it a bit for drums especially if there is high humidity. It is kind of near the temp where problems could occur. The drums should be able to withstand that temp but it will tax them a bit. Humidity is the real enemy of drums along with direct sunlight.
If you could move them to a cooler/dryer place during the hot season it would be better for your kit.

120 degrees F is pushing it a bit for drums especially if there is high humidity. It is kind of near the temp where problems could occur. The drums should be able to withstand that temp but it will tax them a bit. Humidity is the real enemy of drums along with direct sunlight.
If you could move them to a cooler/dryer place during the hot season it would be better for your kit.

What range of humidity? Obviously 100% is, but where does it start? Some humidity is actually good for the wood, right?

You are talking plywood, not just wood. Most wood is dried to a very low humidity percentage so I would not want my drums in the garage year round.

When you approach 50% humidity or higher that is considered high.
High heat and humidity are breeding grounds for mold also.
Have you ever had trouble closing a door in the summer?
The wood swelled causing it to expand.

All great answers thank you. The humidity is low, real low most of the time. Except when its raining. Even then Its not a lot in the air. Another thing I failed to ask was... Winter time here in the morning it condensates, Pretty good. I live about a mile off the American River and at night moist are settles in. I'm not going to have a problem with direct sunlight. I'm mostly concerned about the High/low weather changes that my kit will go thru. (Hot/cold/hot/cold ect...)

if you are getting condensation from rapid temp change that is not that good for your drums either. I never leave my drums in the car overnight for that very reason.
Living near water does add to humidity in the air.

My roommate said to put blankets over them at night, would this protect them?

A blanket will help keep dust from settling on them but it will do little or nothing to prevent condensation, cold, heat, or humidity from affecting them.
The blanket can become damp during rapid temp/humidity change just like the wood of the drums.
If you sense damp conditions in the garage then the drums are damp also.

If this is a cheap kit you don't really care about, then yes, you can leave them in that environment. I have my practice kit in a similar space (unheated, unairconditioned garage that is very drafty) and it has spend the last 4 years there. Other than the fact I had to give up having it anywhere near in tune (it actually comes into tune around 40f, which is what it was when I last tuned it :p) it has been fine. oh, and to top it off, the dryer vents into the garage there (no idea why).

So short answer, it isn't great for it, but you can do it.

Though it doesn't get quite as hot here, but does get colder (last practice was 25F in our space, we would do 3 or 4 songs then go stand by the fire inside, then head back out :p )

My cocktail set has endured temperatures of -3 to +150 Fahrenheit over the course of a year and it works just fine.

Drums are made of plywood and plywood is very durable, prized as a construction material. Plywood and its cousin, particle board, make up most of a modern house. Because a drum is made of thinner plywood, I would think that years and years of temperature fluctuations could make the plies or wrap come apart but I wouldn't worry much about it.

If this is a cheap kit you don't really care about, then yes, you can leave them in that environment. I have my practice kit in a similar space (unheated, unairconditioned garage that is very drafty) and it has spend the last 4 years there. Other than the fact I had to give up having it anywhere near in tune (it actually comes into tune around 40f, which is what it was when I last tuned it :p) it has been fine. oh, and to top it off, the dryer vents into the garage there (no idea why).

So short answer, it isn't great for it, but you can do it.

Though it doesn't get quite as hot here, but does get colder (last practice was 25F in our space, we would do 3 or 4 songs then go stand by the fire inside, then head back out :p )

LOL, your location is Northwest NJ - you near Franklin/Vernon, Montague, Hardyston, Wantage, etc?

You all can do what you want with your drums but mine, (even my inexpensive kits) stay in a moderate temperature low humidity environment.
I have seen many drums over the years that have suffered damage to hardware and shells from being in adverse conditions.
Yes, drums are pretty tough but they do wither over time if not cared for.

I think the general concensus is that whatever humidity and tempature our bodies prefer, our instruments should be kept there also. I like the temp. and humidity at a shopping mall or at a restaraunt as a reference.
I've used a portable dehumidifier im my hot garage to reduce the moisturer but unfortunately the exhaust just increased the ambient air temp.

Last edited:
I agree but wanted to get some other drummers opinion, Thank you all.

Back