Clear Snare Side Resonant Drum Head

Good Karma

Any suggestions on a resonant head replacement for a 14" snare. I'm using a Remo controlled sound coated with a black dot on the batter side.

Thanks for the feedback

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
3 mil clear snare side from Remo Evans or Aquarian is what the vast majority of drummers use for good reason.

Your other choices are 2 mil (diplomat weight) or 5 mil (emperor weight). Both of which I personally dislike how they make my snare sound.

I'm a big fan of Remo's 3 mil "no collar" snare side head P/N #SA-0314-TD. Only Remo makes "no collar" snare side heads AFAIK.

Since there's no collar (The film is dead flat, like a diaphragm) and the 3 mil snare side film does indeed stretch...I get more life from them before the head stretches all the way out.

The collar is formed by tightening down the head. The head will conform absolutely perfectly to the bottom bearing edge and snare beds instead of having a pre-formed edge to work around.

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm a big fan of Remo's 3 mil "no collar" snare side head P/N #SA-0314-TD. Only Remo makes "no collar" snare side heads AFAIK.

I use the same on my GW, and only make exceptions on Ludwig drums, where I'll spring for the OEM head. IIRC, Ludwig snare-side heads have no collar, else the hoop would run into the low-mounted butt-stop on Black Beauties.

C.M. Jones

I've used Remo Clear Ambassador No-Collar resonant heads on my snare a few times. The results were positive overall.

I'm currently running an Ambassador Black Suede resonant head on my snare. The effect is a much dryer sound. It isn't for everyone, but its overtone control is unique.

Last edited:

drumnut87

entirely up to you :)

i personally love the aquarian classic clear snare side head and their unique hi-performance snare side head ( it has two ultra-thin strips of their power dot material adhered to the head to stop broken snare wires puncturing the head) :)

cbphoto

Gold Member
When I found out Evans offered three snare reso heads, I tried ‘em all. The differences were very surprising, and noticeable. 3 mil thickness delivers the classic/normal sound. 5 mil provides more body/tone to the sound but less snappy. The 2 mil is lotsa snappy, little body/tone.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I use the same on my GW, and only make exceptions on Ludwig drums, where I'll spring for the OEM head. IIRC, Ludwig snare-side heads have no collar, else the hoop would run into the low-mounted butt-stop on Black Beauties.

The Ludwig snare sides have what I'd call a low collar, but it definitely isn't a no collar design like the Remo. But you're right that you need all the clearance you can get on Ludwig snares. Drums with the giant P-33 butt have very little room for stretching. I had to try the Remo no collar because I once tried putting a brand new hazy Ambassador snare side on a Ludwig snare with the big P-33 butt. Right out of the box the head had an oddly deep collar and I literally couldn't even get enough tension to get the head up to a usable pitch before running into the butt end.

After trying and really liking the Remo no collar Ambassador, I've never looked back, but I wish there were more no collar options. I'd love a no collar version of the Aquarian Hi-Performance snare side, or a no collar Remo Renaissance.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Snare side head has always been a Remo Diplomat for me. It was what was on my first snare, and when I replaced it for the first time I didn't know what to get so I just bought the same thing. Been doing that ever since.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I wasn't familiar with the Remo "no collar" heads. Here is what they say about them on the Remo website:

DRUMHEADS
AMBASSADOR® CLEAR SNARE SIDE NO COLLAR
Ambassador® Clear Snare Side No Collar drumheads feature a low collar design with Clear Mylar® film that provides maximum projection and snare response. Constructed with 3-mil Clear Mylar® film with a low collar design for maximum Snare response and tuning range that provides a full body Snare sound for all marching applications. Available in sizes 13" - 15".

All the other Remo descriptions of this head style point to its use in "marching applications." I'm thinking that the no-collar design allows marching drummers to crank their reso heads down extra tight to achieve that obnoxious "modern" marching snare sound.

Regardless, I'm very curious now about these heads, so I plan to order one to find out for myself what kind of changes I can experience. If nothing else, it'll be a fun experiment. I don't tune my snare reso tight at all, so it should be interesting to see how the no-collar design works in the low-tension arena.

GeeDeeEmm

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Snare side head has always been a Remo Diplomat for me. It was what was on my first snare, and when I replaced it for the first time I didn't know what to get so I just bought the same thing. Been doing that ever since.
This surprises me.

Dude you are using an orchestral head to pay metal with!

You should try the other 2 flavors. If you don't do it yourself, I'm sending you some.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
This surprises me.

Dude you are using an orchestral head to pay metal with!

You should try the other 2 flavors. If you don't do it yourself, I'm sending you some.

It's the one head I've never thought twice about. No one has ever given me a reason to try a different head. All the talk is about batter heads, and the Diplomat has always worked.

Tell you what, when GC opens back up after this mess, I'll try a different snare side head. I'm sure I'll be stuck with whatever they have available, but I'll try something different. What should I expect with a thicker head?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I wasn't familiar with the Remo "no collar" heads.
All the other Remo descriptions of this head style point to its use in "marching applications." I'm thinking that the no-collar design allows marching drummers to crank their reso heads down extra tight to achieve that obnoxious "modern" marching snare sound.

Regardless, I'm very curious now about these heads, so I plan to order one to find out for myself what kind of changes I can experience. If nothing else, it'll be a fun experiment. I don't tune my snare reso tight at all, so it should be interesting to see how the no-collar design works in the low-tension arena.

GeeDeeEmm

All of the obnoxious modern marching sound comes from the Kevlar batter head. A traditional mylar snare side head is going to sound like what you'd expect a snare side head to sound like.

There are two differences between the no collar snare side and a "normal" Ambassador snare side. First, and most obvious is the lack of a collar. The film comes out of the aluminum hoop at a 90* angle and has absolutely no curved collar at all. The second difference, which is a little harder to see unless side by side is that the no collar film is completely water clear, unlike the slightly hazy film of the standard Ambassador snare side. It's still 3-mil, and it still stretches similarly to the standard snare side. It just takes longer to completely stretch out and bottom out the head.

I would say that if you aren't used to putting a lot of tension on the snare side head it may not work out for you. Because of the no collar design you have to put a fair amount of tension on the head just to get the snare gates in the hoop to line up with the actual bottom of the shell.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I use the no collar head for practicality. They are designed for guys who like a cranked snare side. I never noticed much of a difference in the sound of the film compared to a hazy film. I like the sound of both the hazy (like Remo) and the crystal clear films (like Ludwig) on snare sides. To my ear, the no collars never hit me as that different sounding from hazy film. Maybe a touch brighter. Not enough to make it a different sounding head IMO.

A Remo no collar and a Remo collared head sound about the same to me, but I get more longevity from the no collars.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I feel the same way, the no collar head is a mechanical improvement, not a sound one. I also want to believe the sound is a little brighter because of the clear film, but I'm sure that's mostly just in my head.

C.M. Jones

I feel the same way, the no collar head is a mechanical improvement, not a sound one. I also want to believe the sound is a little brighter because of the clear film, but I'm sure that's mostly just in my head.

I think you're right, not delusional. I'm certain that the Ambassador Black Suede Snare Side head I'm using at the moment has a darker, more reserved sound than the clear resonant heads I'm familiar with. What I like about the Black Suede is that I can tune it pretty high, even with a high batter head, yet maintain a warm rather than bright sound.