pinstripe

Hey guys I wrote an article on this topic maybe you'll find it useful https://drumthat.com/how-to-clean-cymbals/
I would be wary of grouping lemon juice and vinegar along with dish soap for general cleaning. Unlike soap which is gentle and won't remove patina, lemon juice and vinegar are acids that most certainly will remove patina. To me that's an important distinction that shouldn't be left out.

If the intent is to remove the patina, then lemon juice and vinegar are great. But if you just want to do cleaning while leaving the patina intact, then you should stick to soapy water or detergent based cymbal cleaners.

(...and yeah I know I sound like a broken record on this but I'm picturing someone using lemon juice on their vintage Zildjian and getting a nasty surprise...)

Drumdame

Silver Member
Yes I know but if you read article trough the end there is a whole section on how to clean a cymbal without removing a logo.
I just watched the video.

type85

type85

I posted this last week I believe:

Here's my experience lately with several different cleaners suggested by drummers, I put them in order of most gentle to most abrasive:

Soap & water

Flitz spray/tarnish remover: Has tarnish remover chemicals in it, will damage the finish if left on too long and it dries out!

Blue magic: smelly and messy but easy on ink labels but will take them off if rubbed long and hard enough!

Flitz paste: good all around cleaner has tarnish remover chemicals in it, not nearly as messy as blue magic, will remove clear coat and labels if rubbed hard enough.

Paiste cymbal cleaner: has tarnish remover chemicals in it, will remove clear coat and labels if rubbed hard enough.

Mr. Muscle/stahl fix: Paiste cleaner in the original bottle! Has tarnish remover chemicals in it, will remove clear coat and labels if rubbed hard enough.

Barkeepers soft cleanser: has tarnish remover chemicals in it, works well with really dirty cymbals, say goodbye to your clear coat and labels!

Barkeepers dry cleanser: for the filthiest nastiest, grungiest, detritus covered cymbals on the planet!

Pure (no cleaner) Carnauba wax: creates protective layer if the clear coat is gone, requires lots of rubbing to get it to shine

Lemon pledge: creates protective layer if the clear coat is gone, not as effective as Carnauba wax.

** "tarnish remover chemicals" = some type of acid

PXL_20220807_231629137.jpg

PXL_20220816_233421428.jpg