Cleaning a 60s Acrolite Shell

mikyok

Platinum Member
Hi All

I've finally got round to restoring my Acrolite Prototype as my crimbo present to me. Only had it 10 years but a pandemic tends to free your spare time better than most things!

Anyone got any idea what would be the best stuff to clean the shell and lugs which are all aluminium?

I still have the aluminium hoops but the batter hoop is a bit bashed about.

Any help appreciated

Mike

Hi All

I've finally got round to restoring my Acrolite Prototype as my crimbo present to me. Only had it 10 years but a pandemic tends to free your spare time better than most things!

Anyone got any idea what would be the best stuff to clean the shell and lugs which are all aluminium?

I still have the aluminium hoops but the batter hoop is a bit bashed about.

Any help appreciated

Mike

Best metal polish/cleaner out there.

When I refurbished my buddy's vintage Premier, I cleaned all the hardware before I polished with NEVR DULL--it is good stuff. But I used vinegar, warmish water, Mr.Clean, Goo Gone and a Stainless steel kitchen appliance cleaner (I know, quite a cocktail). I was dealing with rust--I let tension rods, washers, rusty screws--soak overnight at least.

I know your snare is probably not in the same condition as what I dealt with. A proper cleaning before polishing is my point. You can use Dawn dish soap and warm water, crumbled aluminum foil as a mild abrasive works well. BUT, be careful with foil. Depending on the state of plating on the hardware, it can do a little damage.

I know your snare is probably not in the same condition as what I dealt with. A proper cleaning before polishing is my point. You can use Dawn dish soap and warm water, crumbled aluminum foil as a mild abrasive works well. BUT, be careful with foil. Depending on the state of plating on the hardware, it can do a little damage.

It's not too bad for nearly 60.

Foil wouldn't be too bad for the plating on a premier, the plating system was better the Ludwig.

I'll try and get some never never dull and take it from there. Cheers for the advice all!

YouTuber rdavidr has a video where he does just this. Soap & water seemed to do the best job on his along with some other tricks for hoop polishing.

Magic Eraser is all you'll ever need for general cleaning

YouTuber rdavidr has a video where he does just this. Soap & water seemed to do the best job on his along with some other tricks for hoop polishing.

Cheers man!

Gave it a watch, the hoops and lug cleaning is handy. Not sure why he didn't buy a p85 strainer to replace the old one!

He's using a 70s Acro which is a different shell finish to mine. Mine is the original orange peel finish. I'll put some piccies up when I've finished the refurb which will be just before Christmas.

I'll take some tomorrow when I get started and this never dull stuff arrives.

None of my gear is at home at the moment.

I've always used Flitz metal polish on anything metal. Works great and is non abrasive. Shines up chrome like nothing else I've used.

Back