Clean your Drums?

Adam Bourque

What's a good way to clean your drums... I just keep collecting dust, Ive just been using a wet rag. Lol, suggestions?

Besides cleaning with a wet towel, and immediately drying them with a nice fluffy towel, I generally find I only need to dust them with a feather duster. I avoid cleaners and solvents because I think over time you're doing more damage or building up this layer of stuff on the drums.

Besides cleaning with a wet towel, and immediately drying them with a nice fluffy towel, I generally find I only need to dust them with a feather duster. I avoid cleaners and solvents because I think over time you're doing more damage or building up this layer of stuff on the drums.

Agreed. Unless it is a very slightly damp cloth, I would avoid any moisture on the drums at all as it will go into places where you can't get it out. Better to use a feather duster and soft dry cloth.

Ever since a bass player showed me one, I've been a devotee of those micro fiber polish cloths they sell in auto parts stores. If it cleans the sweat off my guitar without hurting the finish (and that includes the gunk that builds up on the neck which many folks have tried just about everything over the ages on) then I'm pretty comfortable with using it on fingerprints on my lacquered drums and chrome stands.

this came up before and I emailed Johnson's wax and they would not recommend Pledge on any lacquered finishes. Proceed caution.

this came up before and I emailed Johnson's wax and they would not recommend Pledge on any lacquered finishes. Proceed caution.

Which Pledge?.

Pledge Multi Surface is a different product than their furniture waxes.

http://www.pledge.com/multi-surface-cleaner/

I've never really understood why Pledge wouldnt be the perfect cleaner for lacquered drums.
Most in home wood surfaces are lacquered of varnished wood anyway.
Whats the difference?.

they were referring to Pledge furniture polish. Varnish and lacquer are two different products.

Cymbals, just a dusting. Hardware, a dusting and then a warm slightly damp rag, maybe some chrome polish on the harder stains like pitted chrome. Drums, another dusting, maybe some 409 or glass and surface cleaner, sprayed on a soft towel. My drums have a janky wrap finish on them, so...

I recently used one of the Swiffer dusting cloths that go on a handle (not entirely sure of the proper name) but man did it work nicely. The thing was covered in dust and was still picking it up.

Jimmy D'Aquisto, the world renowned luthier and maker of five figure guitars was a friend of my father's. I would go and watch him make his masterpieces in his shop before his untimely death in 1995. He swore by Pledge to clean his guitars and even planned to approach Johnson and Johnson to make a small version of their spray bottle that would fit in a guitarist's gig bag. But alas he died and that business idea went away with him.
So I would think if Jimmy used it on his guitars it would be good on the much cheaper laquer finishes on drums. Just my take on that.

I will ++ on the microfiber cloths!! I do my drums about every 3 months, I use a damp cloth then dry cloth. I look at my drums and see the same thing when I look at my Harley, lacquer and chrome; thats why I use a light coat of "Harley Glaze" and buff with a clean microfiber cloth.

Ever since a bass player showed me one, I've been a devotee of those micro fiber polish cloths they sell in auto parts stores. If it cleans the sweat off my guitar without hurting the finish (and that includes the gunk that builds up on the neck which many folks have tried just about everything over the ages on) then I'm pretty comfortable with using it on fingerprints on my lacquered drums and chrome stands.

That's pretty much what I use. It's a small, red duster intended for car interiors. I forget the name of it.

I recently used one of the Swiffer dusting cloths that go on a handle (not entirely sure of the proper name) but man did it work nicely. The thing was covered in dust and was still picking it up.

I use the swiffer dry sheets as well and they really pick up the dust. No chemicals to be concerned about either.

My drums are mainly wraps, so Pledge Wipes and Swiffer dusters work great.
Never had a problem on the lacquer kit with a Pledge Wipe though.

When I use a Pledge Wipe on any of the shells and stands, I have a cotton sock inside out on the other hand to go over everything and buff.
It works great, and it's really fast for stands.

No spray on products.

Back