Church gigs?

do you notice a difference in the way the Remo heads usta was and the way they sound now ? apparently, they are made differently and that´s why they came out with the Vintage line ?

how much of that sound was EQ and how much did the drum actually sound like that ?

i´m able to EQ on my deck and thunder-up my deficiently tuned drums, so i wonder.

Oops, I'm involved in hijacking my own thread here *shrugs* ... I can't compare Remo because I forgot during my long break. I did find that once I started using brushes last year that the Ambassador coating wore away quickly. Tried Evans Dry Genera and Aquarian since - much better coating IMO

Not much EQ in that session - we just set up the 4-track with a few mics. Vocalist couldn't even hear himself. Our guitarist did the the engineering and added a couple of effects on the vocs and a bit of reverb here and there but it's a dry recording. Not sure if it comes through but I do remember I was hitting really hard back then, which would affect the tone.

Some months later the guitarist borrowed my 4-track, then went interstate with it, never to be seen again. That wouldn't happen in a Christian band! (would it??)

Oops, I'm involved in hijacking my own thread here *shrugs* ... I can't compare Remo because I forgot during my long break. I did find that once I started using brushes last year that the Ambassador coating wore away quickly. Tried Evans Dry Genera and Aquarian since - much better coating IMO

Not much EQ in that session - we just set up the 4-track with a few mics. Vocalist couldn't even hear himself. Our guitarist did the the engineering and added a couple of effects on the vocs and a bit of reverb here and there but it's a dry recording. Not sure if it comes through but I do remember I was hitting really hard back then, which would affect the tone.

Some months later the guitarist borrowed my 4-track, then went interstate with it, never to be seen again. That wouldn't happen in a Christian band! (would it??)

thanks. which Aquarian ? the Genera Dry is next on my list to try, but i can´t decide which one. there are 3 variations of Genera Dry. there´s an Aquarian on my list too...i think the Studio X.

thanks. which Aquarian ? the Genera Dry is next on my list to try, but i can´t decide which one. there are 3 variations of Genera Dry. there´s an Aquarian on my list too...i think the Studio X.

It just says texture coated, UFF. The biggest problem I had with the Genera Dry were the holes around the edge - sometimes a brush wire would get in there. That's the one I used on the demo. Will get another Aquarian when this one's worn - everything about it is good.

"Christian" as in regular churchgoers or just people who write C of E on their census?

my friend´s Christian Rock group. it was stolen from the CHURCH. where they practiced. by his BANDMATES.

MEMBERS of the CHRISTIAN ROCK BAND stole a (then) $700 amp of their BANDMATE (my friend) FROM THE CHURCH where they practiced.

i don´t know what C of E means. : )

my friend´s Christian Rock group. it was stolen from the CHURCH. where they practiced. by his BANDMATES.

MEMBERS of the CHRISTIAN ROCK BAND stole a (then) $700 amp of their BANDMATE (my friend) FROM THE CHURCH where they practiced.

That's a shocker, UFF.

Seems to me that that person was religious in that football team supporter sense that you see a fair bit of these days ... you know, the Christian team competing against the Muslims (who they say hits below the belt), the horrid Atheists and turgid Agnostics.

That way they can enjoy major benefits of religion - fellowship, networking, trust and an image of respectability - without getting involved with all that icky spirituality stuff that might actually involve reflection, humility, empathy and even occasionally admitting being wrong.

BTW, C of E = Church of England.

That's a shocker, UFF.

Seems to me that that person was religious in that football team supporter sense that you see a fair bit of these days ... you know, the Christian team competing against the Muslims (who they say hits below the belt), the horrid Atheists and turgid Agnostics.

That way they can enjoy major benefits of religion - fellowship, networking, trust and an image of respectability - without getting involved with all that icky spirituality stuff that might actually involve reflection, humility, empathy and even occasionally admitting being wrong.

BTW, C of E = Church of England.

yes.

Priests rape little boys. Pastors screw their flock (literally and figuratively). and Mega Churches own Theme Parks (and take over smaller churches and ¨no longer require the services of the little old church organist). some turn a blind eye. some take part. and some are in denial. some join other churches.

apparently the church is full of human beings. nothing has changed since the dawn of time. we are no more evolved than cavepeople. the only thing that has changed is technology and fashion. (the razor falls into both categories).

that said....there are worse places to be. i have played in many churches. and while not a regular church goer, i will attend any church i am invited to. and when i need peace of mind....i talk to my pastor. he´s a good man.

and ....

yes.

The Time Has Come by Hillsong United:

I didn't know Hillsong had a football team!!!

I should add that none of this reflects on good Christians, who I've found to be as decent as anyone I've met.

yes.

.................................................................................................................

That is pretty low. I guess if it proves anything it is that no where is safe from those kind of people.

That is pretty low. I guess if it proves anything it is that no where is safe from those kind of people.

Our guitar player used to own his own recording studio. He told us that one time the drummer in a band using his studio tried to steal one of the cymbals off of the studio drum kit. When he noticed the cymbal was missing, he followed the band out to their van and confronted the drummer, who totally denied it. Fortunately someone else in the band made the drummer come clean and return the cymbal. There are some really sick people out there....

True.

There is a local christian concert promoter here (at least that's what he calls himself) that ripped off at least one major label recording artist for thousands of dollars. This guy ended up playing about 3 shows in the area for basically nothing. I've heard he's done this before. In fact, I know he tried to not pay my old band (part of why it's my old band) twice.

I only hope the artist went back to Nashville and spread the word about this guy.

True.

There is a local christian concert promoter here (at least that's what he calls himself) that ripped off at least one major label recording artist for thousands of dollars. This guy ended up playing about 3 shows in the area for basically nothing. I've heard he's done this before. In fact, I know he tried to not pay my old band (part of why it's my old band) twice.

I only hope the artist went back to Nashville and spread the word about this guy.

Those kind of promoters are the reason a friend of mine started up a booking company here in Melbourne.

I was called to do a church gig once, about eight years ago. It was a sort of...really I couldn't figure out what it was, a jazz service or something, although we didn't play anything that could be called jazz.

It was a big church, with a proper food-service kitchen and a PA system. It even had an elevator up to the big room where all the pews were.

We were all set up right there on the alter or whatever it's called. The music was geared around the service, we all had charts (sort of) and during the stretches when there wasn't any music we'd go backstage or whatever it's called in a church. It was just a little room off to the side. I couldn't make heads or tails out of what the hell was happening.

I felt very weird, being up so early on a Sunday and in a church for crying out loud. But the dough was great! A very nice guy came up and handed out the checks before we'd even played. That was a first.

I got $250 for playing about fifteen minutes of music. These cats were loaded with cash, you should have seen this place.

We were invited downstairs for coffee and doughnuts after the gig but I didn't stay for that.

This is pretty close to my experience. Great money, 20 min of chart reading generic rock tunes, nice people and free coffee!

I sub once in a while for a very well know drummer at a church in California. The band is made up of pro's....many whom you all have heard of. The band leader runs us through the songs for 15 min, and then we play for 20 min.

Churches are one of the only places that have the budget for good sound equipment and pro players. Even though I am not a practicing member of any Church, I would not balk at doing a regular church gig.

This is pretty close to my experience. Great money, 20 min of chart reading generic rock tunes, nice people and free coffee!

I sub once in a while for a very well know drummer at a church in California. The band is made up of pro's....many whom you all have heard of. The band leader runs us through the songs for 15 min, and then we play for 20 min.

Churches are one of the only places that have the budget for good sound equipment and pro players. Even though I am not a practicing member of any Church, I would not balk at doing a regular church gig.

These must be very large churches, because at the smaller churches I've attended over the years, everyone is a volunteer (except maybe the music director) and the sound system is not state of the art. In my band at church, we all put in money over time and ended up buying our own PA system that we use.

The only time we were "paid" was when we did some gigs at various other churches, and they took up an offering for the band, which was anywhere from $50 to $100, which we turned around to use for equipment.

I play once a month at my church, Most of the musicians on my team are pro,s. What blows me away is that we get our set list maybe five days before we play. We have one rehersal during the week and then a small run through the before the service starts. When we play everything is tight, the dynamics are great, everyone is listening to each other. I have heard some recordings and it sounds better than the band I have been with for 3 years. I consider that a good perc/pay to be able to show up prepaired and play with amazing musicians,amazing attitudes,amazing sound system, and no B.S to deal with. I have no issues donating my time. I have also played for free with my main band for benefits for various causes.

Back